Sportster S Sportster S Only

Battery discharge

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2024, 03:29 PM
Asmith61
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Battery discharge

Hi I have a 2022 975 Nightster I bought it brand new 1St September 2023, it has been on trickle charge over the winter, I have been using it daily but just lately the battery has been flat in the morning, I contacted the dealers and explained what was happening there response was you need to keep it on a battery tender after each time it is ridden, I am taking it back to the dealers after work tomorrow, I have said to them I would like to start a warranty claim over the battery failure, they said they will test the battery first to see if that is the problem.

as the bike was a 2022 model that hadn’t sold I wonder if the battery was just left unattended?

just wondered if anyone had any ideas or have heard of a battery problems with the Nightster ?

any help would be greatly appreciated

Old 06-27-2024, 03:35 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,972 Likes on 1,344 Posts

I moved this thread to the Sportster S forum.

But, you can check to see if your charging system is working. With a multimeter, the voltage at the battery should be 14V when the motor is running. If it is, your charging system is working and the battery would be suspect. Also check battery voltage with engine off, is should be between 12-13V.

Your suspicions are valid. Sounds to me like a dead/dying battery.

Good luck, and please report back what the dealer says.

John

Old 06-27-2024, 03:43 PM
Asmith61
6th Gear
Default Thank you

Thank you for your Reply John
I will let you know how I get on 👍

Old 06-27-2024, 04:07 PM
cobra23
Road Captain
Received 526 Likes on 288 Posts

Harley batteries are the cheapest they can get. The battery is still under warranty. Take it in. They will replace it if it is bad .

Old 06-27-2024, 05:33 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,278 Likes on 1,807 Posts

If you are riding the bike daily, putting on a tender seems a waste. Unless only few miles. Charge it some time when not riding, Leave off tender over night, and see if it starts. If it doesn't I would say it is the battery, as long as charger is good.

The following users liked this post:
John Harper (06-27-2024)
Old 06-28-2024, 08:37 AM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,994 Likes on 2,549 Posts

You are possibly correct in that the battery may have been left to go flat and so will never be in good shape no matter what you do.

How far is your commute?

Old 06-28-2024, 10:47 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 9,410 Likes on 5,011 Posts

Originally Posted by cobra23
Harley batteries are the cheapest they can get. The battery is still under warranty. Take it in. They will replace it if it is bad .
OEM Harley batteries are not cheap, and not low quality.

OP: The battery is covered under a warranty.

There is no truth to the statement that the bike must be put on a battery tender whenever it is not being ridden, that is a ridiculous statement.

Unless the bike is going to sit for more than a couple of weeks, it does not need an umbilical cord.

The following 4 users liked this post by Dan89FLSTC:
eighteight (07-02-2024), John Harper (06-28-2024), KK0G (06-28-2024), Tom H (06-28-2024)
Old 06-28-2024, 12:36 PM
Asmith61
6th Gear
Default Battery discharge

Thank you all for your replies 😃

just got back from the dealers. Firstly they had no idea I was coming 😱 I told them I had called twice about the problem and was told to bring it in on Friday afternoon where they will test the battery.
well all the technicians were busy doing services etc and they couldn’t do anything today!!
this is when I made my presence felt I didn’t swear or anything but said I have just ridden 60 miles straight from work to get this resolved as discussed with one of your team.
they said we cannot just fit another battery as we need to test your battery first and that takes 3 hours !!!! Before we can open up a warranty claim. And they have no one to do this.
the service department girl heard this and she remembered me from my first service she did go in the workshop and speak to one of the technicians for me, and she came out to me and said there is a warranty issue with the Nightster where when the weather is hot there is a voltage leak that makes the brake light glow very slightly????
and either the left or right handle bar switch gear needs replacing under warranty as there is a problem with them 🤔

so she is going to contact me when she can book it in.
now not sure if they are just having me on but at least something is happening.

in the meantime she said just leave it on trickle charge 🤣🤣

Old 06-28-2024, 01:14 PM
HD_noobie
Road Master
Received 553 Likes on 292 Posts

It all sounds made up.

Old 06-28-2024, 04:26 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,278 Likes on 1,807 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
OE

There is no truth to the statement that the bike must be put on a battery tender whenever it is not being ridden, that is a ridiculous statement.

Unless the bike is going to sit for more than a couple of weeks, it does not need an umbilical cord.
We agree on something.

Quick Reply: Battery discharge