Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is my Brakeline ok like this???

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2014 | 08:41 AM
Gnarleydudes80
|
Cruiser
Default Is my Brakeline ok like this???

New guy here, I've been lurking for a while...wanted to say thanks to all of you knowledgeable people for helping me along the way...and ask a possibly dumb question.

I installed some keystone bars on my sporty last night, this is the first time I have ever done this...I had to remove the brace holding the brake line to the bike so that everything would fit, is it ok for it to be attached to nothing on the side? and also after getting everything situated comfortably, the brake line up top is jammed right against the bars...is that ok? Sorry for the dumb questions, I just don't want to worry about it while riding....I've attached some pics to better show what I'm talking about...thanks!

Attached Thumbnails Is my Brakeline ok like this???-brakeline.jpg   Is my Brakeline ok like this???-brakeline2.jpg  
Old 09-12-2014 | 10:21 AM
mydogfarted
Tourer

It will be fine. The line will flex a little more as you apply the brakes, and make them feel slightly softer, but nothing to worry about.

Old 09-12-2014 | 10:26 AM
Eisentreiber
Cruiser

Don't like that.

Assume there's a good reason why the MoCo clamped the brake line down - now you're giving it a chance to chafe (and then corrode) while vibrating around, or worse, suffer fatigue in the long run near the lower P-clamp, where it's still tightly fixed. The brake lines are safety essentials to the bike, so no good to play with instead of doing the job properly.

If you had to loosen it to fit the new bars, then the assembly does not offer proper length, and should be exchanged with a fitting line. Likely, your new bars need a longer tube segment, otherwise the steel brake line could have stayed well-clamped on the fork where it belongs. Pics don't show that, but I even guess your brake line tubes now have close to nil slack, which isn't good either.

Just my 0.02...

Last edited by Eisentreiber; 09-12-2014 at 10:45 AM.
Old 09-12-2014 | 11:44 AM
Ployd4
Road Master

Take it to a local hose shop. They can cut off the rubber section and replace it with a longer section for around $30. Also make sure replace your crush washers or they may leak. That brake fluid will eat the paint.

Old 09-13-2014 | 11:40 AM
Gnarleydudes80
|
Cruiser

Well I made some adjustments and was able to fix both problems, now it is clamped the side again. Brake line is a little tight but it seems ok, unfortunately after all this work I'm not so sure I like these bars, I have fairly short arms and I feel like I'm uncomfortably reaching.

Old 09-13-2014 | 09:20 PM
Str8chuter
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Eisentreiber
Don't like that.

Assume there's a good reason why the MoCo clamped the brake line down - now you're giving it a chance to chafe (and then corrode) while vibrating around, or worse, suffer fatigue in the long run near the lower P-clamp, where it's still tightly fixed. The brake lines are safety essentials to the bike, so no good to play with instead of doing the job properly.

If you had to loosen it to fit the new bars, then the assembly does not offer proper length, and should be exchanged with a fitting line. Likely, your new bars need a longer tube segment, otherwise the steel brake line could have stayed well-clamped on the fork where it belongs. Pics don't show that, but I even guess your brake line tubes now have close to nil slack, which isn't good either.

Just my 0.02...

I agree 100%. Why take a chance on a malfunction due to the stresses that you are imposing on your brake system. You are welcome to gamble on your life, but I would not take the chance, particularly on the front brake. My suggestion - Get it done and get it done right. Why take an unnecessary chance just to save a few bucks.

Ride Safe - Ride Smart

"He Who Lives in Joy Does His Creator's Will".
The Baal Shem Tov, Founder of Chasidic Judaism... ca. 1750's