Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Iron forward controls

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 05:29 PM
DeputyMitchell
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Iron forward controls

Howdy all,

I've been looking at Irons for about 3 months and finally found the one I was looking for. It's over 250 miles away but prepared to go and get it. There is just one thing, it has forward controls. Now I'm only 5'6" with inseam of 30". I know I can't find one near to go and sit on but this one has the 1200 conversion, tuning etc and V+H short shots too. It's everything I want.

Is anyone out there the same size riding forward controls?
How big a job is it to relocate back to standard controls?

I like the look of the forward controls but just need to ensure they are not too forward.

Any advice would be welcomed!

Cheers
David

Last edited by DeputyMitchell; 09-05-2014 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 09-05-2014, 07:03 PM
jackolo
Cruiser

I'm about the same measurement and used to ride a Nightster w/ 48 Bars and Forward Controls. I found it odd at first but grew to love it. I have mid controls on my new Nightster and actually am eager to swap out to forwards.

I haven't swapped them myself before but from what I see, it shouldn't be difficult. Maybe pick up a service manual just in case, have a few friends around and just take your time.

Old 09-05-2014, 07:13 PM
DevilDog85
Cruiser

If you sit on a 48 it has forward controls and IMO they are almost the same. I'm 5'5" and to me it felt comfortable. I was actually thinking about putting the forward controls on my Iron, but when my local HD service guy told me it might be about $1K to buy and install I decided to just stick with the mids.

Old 09-06-2014, 01:47 AM
DeputyMitchell
Advanced

Originally Posted by jackolo
I'm about the same measurement and used to ride a Nightster w/ 48 Bars and Forward Controls. I found it odd at first but grew to love it. I have mid controls on my new Nightster and actually am eager to swap out to forwards.

I haven't swapped them myself before but from what I see, it shouldn't be difficult. Maybe pick up a service manual just in case, have a few friends around and just take your time.
Cheers Jackolo, so long as I can reach the darn things I'll be ok!

Old 09-06-2014, 01:49 AM
DeputyMitchell
Advanced

Originally Posted by DevilDog85
If you sit on a 48 it has forward controls and IMO they are almost the same. I'm 5'5" and to me it felt comfortable. I was actually thinking about putting the forward controls on my Iron, but when my local HD service guy told me it might be about $1K to buy and install I decided to just stick with the mids.
Thanks for that!

I'm only used to using mid controls and pressing down on the brake. With forwards, do you feel like you're pressing out?

Old 09-06-2014, 06:31 AM
DrewBone
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

David,

I believe there's some kind of misconception out there about this subject...the HD factory forwards are NOT that far forward, and having forward controls on an Iron doesn't turn it into a reclining chair! Unless you're 4'-6" and can fit comfortably in a clown car you shouldn't have a problem with them ;O)

My '09 Iron came with the forwards installed by a previous owner and they fit me just fine, they offer great control and I love them, although I'm 6'-0". By contrast, my son's '02 Sportster has mids and I could hardy get my feet into position, and when I did, my knees were bent too much and were raised almost above the fuel tank. No thanks!

Some have reported that forwards on a Sportster or any bike give less control, you can't pivot turn, blah blah blah. One thing to keep in mind here is that the Sportster isn't a sport bike, it's a cruiser and as such it has it's limitations. And with that in mind, one should accept those facts, just like one wouldn't expect a Hyundai Elantra to out manuever a Porsche' 911.

If you get the bike and find that they're uncomfortable at first, give it some time before swapping them out, you might just like them. But if you must change them out, there always seem to be factory mids available locally or here on this site from people like you who are looking to switch from one to the other, and more often than not they're willing to do an even swap with you for your forwards.

'Cheers back atcha'...best wishes and welcome to the forum.

=8^)

Old 09-06-2014, 08:55 AM
DeputyMitchell
Advanced

Originally Posted by DrewBone
David,

I believe there's some kind of misconception out there about this subject...the HD factory forwards are NOT that far forward, and having forward controls on an Iron doesn't turn it into a reclining chair! Unless you're 4'-6" and can fit comfortably in a clown car you shouldn't have a problem with them ;O)

My '09 Iron came with the forwards installed by a previous owner and they fit me just fine, they offer great control and I love them, although I'm 6'-0". By contrast, my son's '02 Sportster has mids and I could hardy get my feet into position, and when I did, my knees were bent too much and were raised almost above the fuel tank. No thanks!

Some have reported that forwards on a Sportster or any bike give less control, you can't pivot turn, blah blah blah. One thing to keep in mind here is that the Sportster isn't a sport bike, it's a cruiser and as such it has it's limitations. And with that in mind, one should accept those facts, just like one wouldn't expect a Hyundai Elantra to out manuever a Porsche' 911.

If you get the bike and find that they're uncomfortable at first, give it some time before swapping them out, you might just like them. But if you must change them out, there always seem to be factory mids available locally or here on this site from people like you who are looking to switch from one to the other, and more often than not they're willing to do an even swap with you for your forwards.

'Cheers back atcha'...best wishes and welcome to the forum.

=8^)
Thanks for the info!! I just the one I was after!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3013032301...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Thanks for the help!! :-)