Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Using external breather system w/ SE AC 2004 Sportster

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 11:15 AM
Mr. Cro
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using external breather system w/ SE AC 2004 Sportster

So I bought a used SE A/C on ebay that was on a 2002 Sportster. It has a K&N filter and a steel backplate. I own a 2004 Sportster with the stock CV carb and I wanted to vent the heads externally using a horseshoe breather kit. I followed MKL Sportster's guide on how to install but the banjo bolt heads prevent the backplate from seating on the carburator, even with the two offset "Z" brackets that are supposed to support the backplate. It seems the carb sits in too far in. My only option right now is to use the supplied breather bolts that hold the backplate to the heads, but vent the crankcase gases internally as designed.

Do I need one of those support brackets that everyone uses to mount an aftermarket AC and/or should I use breather bolts like the ones DK Customs offers? Should I just live with it and vent the heads internally like lots of other people do? Is there a spacer I can buy to get the backplate to sit far enough out to use the horseshoe style breather kit I have?

Hopefully someone has done this or can help me. Thanks in Advance

Old 08-18-2014, 12:28 PM
Scuba10jdl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 209 Likes on 171 Posts

I bought a carb support bracket from Hammer Performance. The z clips, as you noticed, are not sufficient. No issues with clearance here.

With the bracket on supporting the carb I just out a couple short bolts with gaskets on to block off the old holes in the backplate.

I know the '04+ back plates have that plastic that sticks out for the breather standoffs. You need to cut those off or use a different back plate.

Last edited by Scuba10jdl; 08-18-2014 at 12:39 PM.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:41 PM
Mr. Cro
Advanced

You wouldn't happen to have any pictures of that would you? I wonder if the carb support bracket will be thick enough to give me the clearance I need. For right now I used the supplied breather bolts that go through the backplate and uses spacers between the backplate and cylinder heads. I want to use the chrome horseshoe breather but those z brackets don't allow the backing plate to even touch the surface of the carb opening.

Old 08-18-2014, 12:45 PM
Mr. Cro
Advanced

Originally Posted by Scuba10jdl
I bought a carb support bracket from Hammer Performance. The z clips, as you noticed, are not sufficient. No issues with clearance here.

With the bracket on supporting the carb I just out a couple short bolts with gaskets on to block off the old holes in the backplate.

I know the '04+ back plates have that plastic that sticks out for the breather standoffs. You need to cut those off or use a different back plate.
I'm actually using an air cleaner for a 2002. The back plate is flat and made of steel. I'm wondering if that plastic ring is supposed to go between the carb and backing plate, instead of between the Venturi ring and backplate?

Old 08-18-2014, 12:52 PM
Scuba10jdl
Outstanding HDF Member

Not of mine. I'm no where near my bike for this week.

I ditched the z-brackets all together and just used the support bracket. The z brackets I looked at didn't really seem like they would fit all that well, and it sounds like I made the right choice.

http://hammerperf.com/images/blackcarbbracket.jpg

That is the support bracket I used. Without the z brackets and that bracket the carb is supported and there are no clearance issues with the backplate. The bracket is about the thickness of 18ga steel.

I'm not sure what plastic ring you're talking about.

Old 08-18-2014, 01:03 PM
Mr. Cro
Advanced

Not of mine. I'm no where near my bike for this week.

I ditched the z-brackets all together and just used the support bracket. The z brackets I looked at didn't really seem like they would fit all that well, and it sounds like I made the right choice.

http://hammerperf.com/images/blackcarbbracket.jpg

That is the support bracket I used. Without the z brackets and that bracket the carb is supported and there are no clearance issues with the backplate. The bracket is about the thickness of 18ga steel.

I'm not sure what plastic ring you're talking about.
There's a velocity stack shaped ring that I know goes on the inside of the backing plate, but there is another plastic ring that looks like a spacer for lack of a better term.

In other words, does the backing plate mount right to the carb bracket or was there a spacer between the bracket and backing plate? I know you said you are nowhere near your bike but if you remember. Unfortunately neither am I so I can't take pictures to show you what I am talking about.

Old 08-18-2014, 02:10 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,338 Posts

I have the flat steel backplate SE AC on my 1991. It looks like if you just replaced the hollow bolts with some that were only halfway hollow with side drilled openings, you could just replace the spacer with Banjos of the appropriate diameter and length. I've been thinking about that myself, just have not seen a kit that does this. Is that something that would work??

John

Old 08-18-2014, 02:38 PM
Scuba10jdl
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Cro
There's a velocity stack shaped ring that I know goes on the inside of the backing plate, but there is another plastic ring that looks like a spacer for lack of a better term.

In other words, does the backing plate mount right to the carb bracket or was there a spacer between the bracket and backing plate? I know you said you are nowhere near your bike but if you remember. Unfortunately neither am I so I can't take pictures to show you what I am talking about.
My order goes from the engine: intake manifold->manifold seal (round rubber thing)->carb->gasket->support bracket->gasket->backing plate->plastic velocity ring thing.

In this picture here where those empty holes are were the old breather bolts. That is now plugged with a short bolt and nut. The support bracket just sits in there between the carb and backplate, nothing else changed.

Old 08-18-2014, 02:50 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,338 Posts

That's the same one I have. Do they make something that uses a banjo for a spacer and a different breather bolt??

John

Old 08-19-2014, 10:58 AM
Mr. Cro
Advanced
Default Figured it out....

My order goes from the engine: intake manifold->manifold seal (round rubber thing)->carb->gasket->support bracket->gasket->backing plate->plastic velocity ring thing.

In this picture here where those empty holes are were the old breather bolts. That is now plugged with a short bolt and nut. The support bracket just sits in there between the carb and backplate, nothing else changed.

You have the exact same air cleaner I have, believe it or not there is a round ring with the four holes (three bolts and a vent) bolt pattern of the Keihin CV that goes on the carb first. The PO of the air cleaner had sandwiched the spacer ring between the venturi ring and the back plate and assembled the whole air cleaner to ship it. I couldnt find any installation instructions for the pre 2004 air cleaners and assumed that is how it goes on the bike. So now on my bike it goes carb>gasket>spacer ring>gasket>back plate>venturi ring. That spacer gave me enough room and I was able to use my Drag Specialties external horseshoe breather kit and even used the included "Z" brackets. The small bolts Drag Specialties supplied with the kit are too small to thread into the air cleaner lid standoffs, that is where the brackets attach to support the carb and air cleaner. I took my dremel with a round carbide router bit and enlarged the slots a little to use the factory allen head pan screws that thread into the standoffs and was able to get everything to seal and WOW, what a difference!

The CV performance deluxe tuners kit, a bunch of carb cleaner and clean lint free rags, the external breathing kit and the Screamin Eagle air cleaner really woke the bike up. I used the suggested 44 pilot and 175 main jet (there was a 42/160) and im out two turns on the EZ-adjust screw. I'm getting my Cycle Shack turnout mufflers in the mail on thursday, I think this combination should work out pretty well.

Thanks for all the replies and advice, I just needed to walk away from it for a day and do a little more research and with everyone's help and a little common sense I figured it out. I like the older ham can on my bike because it's a little smaller and it has the good metal back plate and a proper K&N filter in it.

Next up is a set of new wires and one of those Dynatek single fire ignitions for the 2004-2006 Sportster......