Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire failure 75mph, Houston Lakewood Area of 59

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 06:19 PM
porschedog
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm glad you are ok
Houston highways are scary at the best of times

Old 08-15-2014, 06:38 PM
cvaria
Supporter
Received 2,201 Likes on 1,687 Posts

That has always been a fear of mine

Old 08-15-2014, 06:56 PM
kwo51
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 44 Posts

I learned while driving for a armored car company always stay out side so you have a quick out.

Old 08-15-2014, 09:06 PM
heybaylor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 144 Likes on 84 Posts

wow , what detail, all I remember when I had a rear go down was
I slowed down ,and stopped.

when I had a front go down , I didn't notice it much until below 30mph,

Old 08-15-2014, 09:57 PM
Michael knowles
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow that was text book stuff.

Old 08-16-2014, 05:49 PM
simply-G
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Wildon883R
Amazingly the side wall of the Dunlop stock tire is like a brick wall. I pulled a nail out of my rear tire and without air the tire didn't sag at all that i could see. In all honestly very little air came out of the tire with 40 psi when i removed the nail. I think motorcycles tires are designed so we don't have blow outs. I was amazed that my rear tire looked inflated after i removed the nail.
I'm glad to say rhat the bike tried to tell me, I did (really) check psi because this is a real fear - I did drive about a mile too far, 59 is always under construction - Still no clue

Old 08-16-2014, 10:41 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,632 Likes on 2,735 Posts

Rebar piece ripped the rear sidewall at around 60, instant nothing for air pressure. The tire came off the rim, half one side half the other, so the wheel jumped over a crossed tire twice every revolution. It just went wild. No fancy clutch or brake work; I yanked the front brake and leaned forward to take the weight off the back and somehow got it stopped that way. There was no thinking about it, just rather panicked reaction; whether that was the best course of action I'll never know, but it worked. That was around 40 years ago, sure don't want to find out if the old body could do it again.

Have heard plenty of tales when things didn't end well with a flat; for those of us that got through it without damage or injury, I'd say we were very lucky.

Old 08-18-2014, 04:27 AM
simply-G
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Imold
Rebar piece ripped the rear sidewall at around 60, instant nothing for air pressure. The tire came off the rim, half one side half the other, so the wheel jumped over a crossed tire twice every revolution. It just went wild. No fancy clutch or brake work; I yanked the front brake and leaned forward to take the weight off the back and somehow got it stopped that way. There was no thinking about it, just rather panicked reaction; whether that was the best course of action I'll never know, but it worked. That was around 40 years ago, sure don't want to find out if the old body could do it again.

Have heard plenty of tales when things didn't end well with a flat; for those of us that got through it without damage or injury, I'd say we were very lucky.
It worked, that's all that matters, my problem was the "concern" that other cars may not notice me despite the optic yellow skid jacket - and I honestly had no idea which tire had failed - until, like you said, I was under 20mph - then it was clearly the rear

Old 08-18-2014, 07:49 AM
1200Cdriver
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by kwo51
I learned while driving for a armored car company always stay out side so you have a quick out.
I had 33 years of heavy vehicle training at the phone company the ended up being Verizon here in Va. and W.Va. One of big safety tips was, "safety is found far right".

Last edited by 1200Cdriver; 08-18-2014 at 07:50 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 08-18-2014, 08:33 AM
Sawyer Rob
Advanced

I've lost rear tire pressure on the rear a couple times on lighter dirt bikes, but only once on a Harley.

I was going about 70 and I immediately slowed down when I realized what had happen, I then leaned over the front and rode the last two miles or so home (out in the country) at 25 or so mph. Yes, the bike tried to ride sideways a bit......anyway, I didn't find it all that big a deal...

If I have any fear, it's of hitting a deer that runs out in front of me! I've only come close once and even though it was many years ago, I still remember it clearly!

SR

Quick Reply: Tire failure 75mph, Houston Lakewood Area of 59