Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Home made Trailer

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 01:05 PM
thomasf59
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Home made Trailer

I have a fold up trailer capacity approximately 900lbs, sometimes it would be nice to have the capability to haul the Sporty in the event of a break down or weather realated issue.

Does anyone have a foldup converted to haul there bike and some pictures ot post.

I have a 3/4 inch greenwood deck on mine a few tie downs, I would make a ramp out of re-inforced plywood as I feel a rail is to dangerous to ride up on.

I am concerend that the trailer is to flimsy tho, any thoughts?

Thanks
Tom

http://usera.imagecave.com/TomF/TongueRedTrailers.jpg

http://usera.imagecave.com/TomF/850TA.jpg

Old 04-07-2007, 01:17 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts
Default RE: Home made Trailer

ORIGINAL: thomasf59

I have a fold up trailer capacity approximately 900lbs, sometimes it would be nice to have the capability to haul the Sporty in the event of a break down or weather realated issue.

Does anyone have a foldup converted to haul there bike and some pictures ot post.

I have a 3/4 inch greenwood deck on mine a few tie downs, I would make a ramp out of re-inforced plywood as I feel a rail is to dangerous to ride up on.

I am concerend that the trailer is to flimsy tho, any thoughts?

Thanks
Tom

http://usera.imagecave.com/TomF/TongueRedTrailers.jpg

http://usera.imagecave.com/TomF/850TA.jpg
That trailer is fine for your sporty. I'm not sure what "greenwood" is but a 5/8 or 3/4 plywood deck will make it plenty sturdy. I also suggest the tie down eyebolts go through the trailer frame. I've seen a few just screwed through the wood deck, but I would'nt risk my bke using it that way.

Old 04-07-2007, 02:21 PM
jalopy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, definitely screw the eyebolts through the frame. Other than that it should be fine for your sporty, just add a wheel chock.

Old 04-07-2007, 03:07 PM
Hagar the Horrible
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a similar (does not fold) with a wheel chock mounted up front. I use an ATV folding ramp because it is than using the tilt feature of the trailer. My stake pckets are welded to the frame so I use them as tiedown points.

Old 04-07-2007, 06:03 PM
NightsterHooligan
Cruiser

I've had a fold up Harbour Freight Trailer for about 6 years now. Cost $400. Capacity 1000lbs. I've towed sportbikes, dual dirt bikes, and friends have borrowed it to haul big twins, ie: Fat Boy, Road King Classic. All with no problems and no drauma. Take good care of the trailer, set it up properly for towing, re-check and double check everything for safety and you should be good to go.

Old 04-08-2007, 12:47 PM
thomasf59
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NightsterHooligan.

Are you useing a wheel chock, and can you post some pics of the trailer when you have your camera out if you think of it and if you have a camera. I have the 4.80 X8 wheels and tires on mine, be nice if they were 12in.

I have a wire feed welder and have thought about beefing up the frame on the trailer, maybe boxing the 14 ga. C channel for some added strenght.

Most likely if I do make the mods to haul the bike I won't use it,( thats the way it goes) I need to have the bike serviced 1 k, dealer threw it in, in the deal, but theweather is lousy 17 degs, some snow, and if I was set up to haul it I would of.

What are you useing for a ramp? What material did you use for the decking?

Thanks

Tom

Old 04-09-2007, 02:54 PM
NightsterHooligan
Cruiser

HeyThomas, I'll post some pics when you post some more pics of the chick in your avatar! LOL

Yes, I have 2 Pingle wheel chocks, one centered for carrying a single bike, and another small one off the left side for when I tow the 2 dirt bikes. It has 12 inch tires, 4 bolt lug pattern. Used 3/4 inch heavy plywood, with a heavy duty epoxy paint, similar to the stuff you put on your garage floors. I use a 2 x 10 pressure treated board with a metal ramp tip attached to the end. The trailer is real low in the back so there isn't much of an angle to get the bike up. I have a spare tire attached to the tongue of the trailer. Other than that it's a stock trailer you can pick up from harbour freight. When folded up one person can lower the trailer down, but it takes two people to lift it up. Rolls around on caster wheels. Takes up 2' x 5' of garage space. Great trailer if you are on a budget or dont have a lot of storage space. Tows great on the highway, nice and stable, you don;t even realize it is behind you at times. A little tricky to back up because it's so low, you really can't see it. This would also depend on the tow vehicle. It's folded up now, so the next time I take it out, I'll take some pics.

Wow, I just looked online and the trailer itself is just $249, just add the decking and chocks and you are good to go.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=90154