Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 2014 Sportster owner seeking advice for upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 01:40 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,221 Likes on 2,456 Posts

Originally Posted by heritageblue2013
Best up grade for a Sportser is to trade it for an Ultra
Yeah, but you can have this kind of fun on an Ultra.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 08-14-2014, 01:56 AM
Guzzi
Road Warrior
Received 105 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Rolldogg32
Just installed a set of Vance & Hines SS slipons on my '14 48. They're loud and deep sounding to me. Didn't notice any performance drop off.
PM'sent.

Old 08-14-2014, 04:04 AM
Pistolharry
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on ur ride mate..!!! I'd say take it slow..
Ride the $hit out of it man, there are a bazillion things you can do to make the bike truly yours but take ur time with it..!!

Old 08-14-2014, 05:28 AM
Enzoline
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Congrats on your New Ride, and Welcome to the Forum.

It sounds like you have a good plan...ride it and do research...I think one of the best ways (besides riding) to know what you like is by seeing and hearing other bikes.

With your riding experience, combined with what you learn by looking and hearing other bikes, will naturally form a direction you want to take with your bike.

Here's a link to the evolution of my personal sporty...over a 5 year period.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...-makeover.html
Commercial?
Ad space?

Old 08-20-2014, 08:28 PM
Skellig
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congratulations on the new bike - and Welcome Aboard to the forum! I'm in the exact same boat - picked up my new Iron 883 last weekend. Got lots of new ideas just reading this thread. So far I'm leaning towards the VH ShortShots w/quiet baffles, along with K&H and Stage 1 download. Been hearing stories about the shops around town and new exhausts, compliance etc. Kind of bumming me out.

Old 08-20-2014, 09:13 PM
Guzzi
Road Warrior
Received 105 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Skellig
Congratulations on the new bike - and Welcome Aboard to the forum! I'm in the exact same boat - picked up my new Iron 883 last weekend. Got lots of new ideas just reading this thread. So far I'm leaning towards the VH ShortShots w/quiet baffles, along with K&H and Stage 1 download. Been hearing stories about the shops around town and new exhausts, compliance etc. Kind of bumming me out.
The Short shots look great, but many on here mention their is loss of low end torque. Also add $80 or so to the price for the quite baffles.
Since you're in California, check out HD Screaming Beagle slip ons.
50 state legal per HD,and that should mean less hassle with local LE.
http://www.kutterharleyonline.com/ha...-dual-64900208

Last edited by Guzzi; 08-20-2014 at 09:58 PM.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:21 PM
BrettC
1st Gear

Welcome. I have a 14' XL1200C and also thinking about some upgrades. After a lot of research, I bit the bullet on the Khrome Werks HP-Plus slip-ons. My reasoning was based on their lower, bass tone and they weren't supposed to require any re-tuning as a single initial mod. The also offer a sound reduction kit, in case the dB is a little too robust.

Simple install and I think the KW's rock. They have that low, deep rumble and I feel the performance is a bit enhanced as well. I didn't like the way the bike sounded in certain rpm ranges, but now it doesn't annoy me. Might be a little too loud for some, not loud enough for others, but I'm good with them for now. Might experiment and add the sound reduction kit, just to see if a couple of dB's lower suits me better.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 11-12-2014, 01:40 PM
billy_5555
Novice

My first changes were seat, intake and exhaust. As others have said, ride it for a while first, find bikes you like the look and sound of and figure out what's for you. I've wasted a lot of money changing air intakes and slip-ons but I'm happy now. I made a lot more changes over the winter, and now I have this winter to plan the next phase! Modifying your bike doesn't stop.
Will

Old 11-13-2014, 12:18 PM
subguy
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettC
Welcome. I have a 14' XL1200C and also thinking about some upgrades. After a lot of research, I bit the bullet on the Khrome Werks HP-Plus slip-ons. My reasoning was based on their lower, bass tone and they weren't supposed to require any re-tuning as a single initial mod. The also offer a sound reduction kit, in case the dB is a little too robust.

Simple install and I think the KW's rock. They have that low, deep rumble and I feel the performance is a bit enhanced as well. I didn't like the way the bike sounded in certain rpm ranges, but now it doesn't annoy me. Might be a little too loud for some, not loud enough for others, but I'm good with them for now. Might experiment and add the sound reduction kit, just to see if a couple of dB's lower suits me better.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Go for the sound reduction kit. The only real reduction you will notice is at idle. But you will notice a little more increase in low-mid end torque. I run them on my KW HP Plus. The deep sound will not quiet be as deep though.

Old 11-13-2014, 04:15 PM
sroc3
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like most have said - definitely go to a lot of bike-meets or hang at your local Harley dealer to see what others have done with their rides. This way you get a good idea of what can be done - especially listening to different exhausts. everyone has a "sound" they like As for my upgrades....If I had to do it all over again:

- Pipes (since i live in los angeles traffic, I really needed people to hear me)
- Shocks (I just purchased some Ohlins S36Es, I'm a light rider and the stock shocks really beat me up).
- Seat (the stock 48 one is terrible)
- Headlight (if you ride at night a lot, getting the "daymaker" light is amazing)
- Brass Pegs and various parts

Congrats and ride safe!!!!!!