Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Horn relocation

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 08:36 AM
wachuko
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts

I first tried relocating the stock horn between the front frame tubes. Looked great but the sound of that stock horn was crap... I then took the horn from my Road Glide and installed it in the same place (between front tubes) and that puppy can be heard!

- HD Horn from RGC - Part No. 69060-90F

I will post photos in a bit.

Last edited by wachuko; 08-13-2014 at 08:39 AM.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:40 AM
wachuko
Outstanding HDF Member

Here you go... post from my build thread:

Originally Posted by wachuko
OK, the stock horn on these bike is a joke... I had a stock horn from the RGC in the spare parts box and decided to see if I could fit it in the Forty-Eight. Well, without the cow bell it fits between the tubes. A little bending of the mounting flat steel and in it goes.

Used a stick-on base for a tie-wrap and got the wire close to the horn and away from the engine.

Does not look that great, but works great and now I can be heard if using the horn... At least is black and blends somewhat with the rest of the bike. Yeah, yeah, I know, bike is dirty. It has been raining a lot here and no sense in washing and detailing when everytime I ride it get extremely dirty due to the weather...

Old 08-13-2014, 08:51 AM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,973 Likes on 1,345 Posts

That looks about like my 1200 cowbell horn sans cover, maybe the OP can relocate his as well. You're bike looks fine, it's all those damn stickers on the downtube that crap it up, holy regulatory blight, Batman!!!

John

Old 08-13-2014, 10:05 AM
Traxxtar
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd like to hide the horn entirely, completely hidden from view. If I remove it from between the down tubes, it looks like that front cylinder will get some additional air flow as well and keep it a few degrees cooler.

Old 08-13-2014, 10:34 AM
wachuko
Outstanding HDF Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Traxxtar
I'd like to hide the horn entirely, completely hidden from view. If I remove it from between the down tubes, it looks like that front cylinder will get some additional air flow as well and keep it a few degrees cooler.
I think that a lot of us would like to do the same... let us know what you come up with...

Old 08-13-2014, 12:41 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,973 Likes on 1,345 Posts

Why not locate it under the swingarm, where the carbon canister is mounted? I think you posted that you have a 1991. I took my CA emission can off and you probably have some mounting holes there as well even if you have a non-CA bike. I think it has some kind of slide/mount bracket as I recall, but it's been years since I took it off.

I just looked at mine and you can use the mount bolts for the muffler bracket or one of the lower rear engine mount bolts.

John

Old 08-13-2014, 01:57 PM
Ployd4
Road Master

Nice job wachuko! I bought a wolo horn from DK with intentions of doing the same thing. It will b tight. I think the solo horn is a little bigger than the stock HD one u r using. I'm gonna give it a try. I don't care for the cowbell on the side of a sportster.

Old 08-18-2014, 09:19 PM
Johhny51273
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
I have seen it done...just searched for a picture, but could not find it. We considered making just such a kit, but the leverage on the horn and coil bracket, with them both hanging off the cylinders, we do not believe they will hold up in the long term, so we abandoned the idea. However, that does not mean that it would not work for you. All parts we make have a lifetime warranty, so we tend to have much more stringent requirements. You may want to consider a Wolo Horn...they are LOUD & not so great looking, but you may find a place to hide it. http://www.dkcustomproducts.com/Horns_c101.htm
So I bought the horn relocate bracket from DK when I purchased the ignition and coil relocation bracket. When I test fitted it between the down tubes with the cowbell it was a no go. After seeing wochuko's pics and removing the cowbell it looks like I'll be able to use the bracket after all. I have one question now. Anyone know how much clearance there is between the front fender and down tubes when the front suspension is fully compressed? The stock horn sans cowbell sticks out about 1 1/2"-2" past the down tubes just eyeballing it. I don't expect to ever have it travel that much but you never know.

Thanks!

Old 08-19-2014, 10:26 AM
Traxxtar
Cruiser

On my '14 Superlow 883, there is about a 4" square space between the frame tubes under the engine. I think if I take a piece of metal 1" x 6" in length and bend it around the frame tubes, I can then drill a hole in the center the put the horn there. If the metal is bent right, the horn should be level with the bottom frame. Completely out of sight, but downward facing and unobstructed and should be able to be heard just fine.

The hardest part will be removing the tank and moving the wires.

Old 08-19-2014, 01:37 PM
Robert Strohl
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by DK Custom Products
We do offer a couple of different horn relocations at this LINK.

The Wolo horns are very loud, and the smaller round horns are a bit louder than stock.

This is where the smaller horns can be placed and hidden.

I've been looking at louder horns. Lately I've been cut off like I'm completely invisible on the roads and I have my bike lit up like a Christmas tree (daymaker, LED's etc). Where would you mount the WOLO horn on the Nightster? The stock horn is in the location in your photo.

Quick Reply: Horn relocation