Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have a seat

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 04:53 PM
bfd70
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Have a seat

I know there are tons of "which seat should I buy" threads. I certainly read a bunch prior to making any purchases myself. I thought I'd take a second to throw up my $.02. The bike is a 2010 48. I'm including my measurements, not in the hopes of landing a date with one of you grimy buzzards, but because I think it is pertinent to comfort and fit. 5'10 31" inseam 34/35 sleeve length 150#'s

The seats are: Le Pera Bare Bones and A Mustang Vintage Solo.

Le Pera
The seat is of a fantastic quality. The attention to detail surpasses ay seat I've owned. The lines flow perfectly with the bike. I find the overall usable area to be less than the stock seat. This is due to the upward curvature of the rear of the seat. It's not a lot, and the seat is certainly not dished, but it takes up usable *** room. fortunately I do not need much of that. I understand that people are looking for a "hump" to stop them from sliding back while accelerating. This really isn't substantial enough to accomplish that. The seat is amazingly comfortable as long as the roads are smooth. I did 4 250 mile days in a row with ease. However if you live in a place rotten with pot holes like I do, the seat does zero to compensate for the sportsters sub par suspension.

Mustang
The Mustang is of a very good quality. The style detracts from the lines of a bike with a peanut tank, and obscures the curvature of the front end of the rear fender the shorter seats show off so well. I'm trying to come around to a quote from Rog that said something to the effect that it looks fine when riding it and not to stand around staring at your bike (I'm paraphrasing and inferring a bit). There is plenty of room in the saddle. The back end will stop you from sliding and is ample enough to lean against. It has padding in spades. It has enough to dull most of the pot holes I've encountered so far. If your back is getting killed on the sporty, and you only have enough moolah to upgrade the seat or the suspension, by the vintage solo 1st. I've only put about 100 miles on this seat, but I can tell that it is all day comfortable for your rear. My biggest concern so far with this seat is that due to the padding, you are raised up substantially. It feels like the bars that were comfortable with the Le Pera are now too low, and may need a bit more pull back. I will have to spend more time with the seat on some long days before I know for certain. I doubt I would ever switch bars, or raise them. I like the looks of the 48 as it is. Also, I've had a lot of bikes and never managed to fit 1 just right. If I want super comfort on the road, I'll dive my Ford Explorer.

Last edited by bfd70; 08-01-2014 at 04:56 PM.
Old 08-01-2014, 06:33 PM
goblue90
Road Master
Received 349 Likes on 200 Posts

Hey bfd70,

I've never owned a Mustang Vintage Solo Seat (MVSS), but I did just install the Le Pera Bare Bones (LPBB) seat on my '10 48. I had the HD reduced reach seat which kind of looks like it has a similar profile as the MVSS. Though it was really comfortable, I thought it broke up the lines of the 48, so I decided to install the LPBB seat. Here is a before/after pic and some more after pics:

Old 08-01-2014, 06:54 PM
Guzzi
Road Warrior
Received 105 Likes on 98 Posts

I'll take comfort over looks any day when it comes to motorcycle seats.
The question is....do you want to ride it or look at it? If its under my ***, i could care less what it looks like.

Old 08-02-2014, 05:03 AM
vikz250
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well for me,I just bruised my tail bone real bad so I have to resort to desperate measures..It will do for now until my tail bone heels up LOL!

Attached Thumbnails Have a seat-image-255544714.jpg   Have a seat-image-3487786202.jpg  
Old 08-02-2014, 07:15 AM
Captainruss
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am 5'7" with a 30" inseam. I tried a few different seats on my '14 48 and have settled, for now, on the Biltwell Sporty8 seat. I don't have a pic at the moment, I can try to swing one later. This mimics the stock seat shape but is even more minimalistic and looks amazing on the bike. Surprisingly comfy for how thin it is. You are moved a little down and forward, which, given my inseam, is prettty damn good.

One idea I have for it for the winter is to build a springer plate for it. That will make up for its lack of cushioning and possibly look pretty slick.