Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My diy exhaust wrap job

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 09:45 AM
DitosDad
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My diy exhaust wrap job

After welding turn out tips on to my factory header pipes and putting the factory chrome heat shields back on, I really liked the outcome and the look. I decided to give wrapping the pipes a shot and I am very happy with the outcome and look. It is not perfect by any means but it has that "garage install look" and I did it!

Attached Thumbnails My diy exhaust wrap job-exhaustwrap1.jpg   My diy exhaust wrap job-exhaustwrap2.jpg   My diy exhaust wrap job-exhaustwrap4.jpg   My diy exhaust wrap job-exhaustwrap5.jpg  
Old 07-19-2014, 10:04 AM
DrewBone
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

'Love it how hardly anybody ever posts pictures of their welds, but they sure do post up pics of their covered welds!

IMHO, it looks ok, but I think it would look more betterer if you extended the front pipe to run straight back to meet slightly ahead of and below the rear pipe, for some symmetry.

'Next step for you is to lose that gawd aweful hamcan, which I'm surprised isn't gone already, since you already did a tank lift and maybe a coil relocation? Thankfully there's only a freakin' kazillion options out there to choose from!

Then comes a tuner, and another seat, and and and...[!]

=8^)

Old 07-19-2014, 02:49 PM
DitosDad
Advanced

Originally Posted by DrewBone
'Love it how hardly anybody ever posts pictures of their welds, but they sure do post up pics of their covered welds!

IMHO, it looks ok, but I think it would look more betterer if you extended the front pipe to run straight back to meet slightly ahead of and below the rear pipe, for some symmetry.

'Next step for you is to lose that gawd aweful hamcan, which I'm surprised isn't gone already, since you already did a tank lift and maybe a coil relocation? Thankfully there's only a freakin' kazillion options out there to choose from!

Then comes a tuner, and another seat, and and and...[!]

=8^)
Ill be honest, I'm not exactly sure what a "hamcan" is other than going shopping and buying a ham in a can. Yea, I am definitely not a welder but it worked out for the best this time. I don't think I have any close up pics before the wrap. I didn't want to extend the front header pipe to run straight back and meet with the rear pipe because that would be to close to the short shots, and too many people have that already in my own opinion!

Old 07-19-2014, 03:05 PM
donr101395
Extreme HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by DrewBone

I show pics of my crappy welds all the time. I'm not a welder so people picking them apart doesn't bother me as long as they hold.

On the OP, that is pretty much the same exhaust I was using before I built a 2 into 1.

Old 07-19-2014, 05:42 PM
Ragnar Danneskjöld
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DitosDad
Ill be honest, I'm not exactly sure what a "hamcan" is other than going shopping and buying a ham in a can. Yea, I am definitely not a welder but it worked out for the best this time. I don't think I have any close up pics before the wrap. I didn't want to extend the front header pipe to run straight back and meet with the rear pipe because that would be to close to the short shots, and too many people have that already in my own opinion!
Ham can is the air cleaner cover. It's awful. :P

Old 07-19-2014, 05:57 PM
DrewBone
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by DitosDad
Ill be honest, I'm not exactly sure what a "hamcan" is...I didn't want to extend the front header pipe to run straight back and meet with the rear pipe because that would be to close to the short shots, and too many people have that already in my own opinion!
M'kay, the "hamcan" is the stock intake...called that because it loosley resembles the shape of a canned ham! It's one of the very first things most guys replace [because of it's restrictive design], outside of changing the complete exhaust system or adding slip ons.

And I guess you're right about the front pipe being lengthened to meet up with the rear pipe resembling a set of short shots, which I too believe have been played out to absolute boredom. However, I think it looks just a little odd is all with the big space between them so maybe if you lengthen the front one just a bit? Meh, sorry, I'm just thinking out loud here. The bottom line is that if you like it, that's all that matters!

Whatcha' got planned next?

=8^)

Old 07-19-2014, 08:06 PM
DitosDad
Advanced

Thanks for the clarification with can o ham or ham of can or what ever you called it! I think lengthening the front pipe a little would look good too, but I also like the short header pipe look. Minus the turn out tips I put on, the stock header pipes are pretty much the same pipes as the "Looky Looky" (which I love) by Nash Motorcycle Pipes built by Sikpipes for $297.00. The air cleaner is next to go! LOL

Attached Thumbnails My diy exhaust wrap job-10784036.jpg   My diy exhaust wrap job-10784037.jpg  

Last edited by DitosDad; 07-19-2014 at 08:11 PM.
Old 07-19-2014, 10:18 PM
grancuda
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Is all that is holding your pipes on the flange at the heads?

Old 07-20-2014, 09:12 PM
DitosDad
Advanced

Originally Posted by grancuda
Is all that is holding your pipes on the flange at the heads?
Yes, for now until I I figure out I want to support them without taking from of the look. The pipes are very light any way and don't vibrate a lot, so I think they should be fine for a little.

Old 07-21-2014, 05:52 AM
NicoBomber
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That looks really good.

I was thinking about doing something similar with Biltwell's mini-mufflers: http://www.biltwellinc.com/index.php...t_detail&p=366

Quick Reply: My diy exhaust wrap job