Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Brake Issue (probably uncommon)

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2014 | 07:30 PM
RickRock
|
Cruiser
Default Rear Brake Issue (probably uncommon)

I have a below the knee right leg prosthetic leg. h issue is when I sit on bike, it points out way to the right. Hitting the rear brake pedal is not happening. I get by with the front brake just fine. I'm in a rural area where keeping a good distance with the vehicle in front of me is usually not an issue. But what's gonna happen when I venture into a situation where traffic is heavy and having the luxury of keeping a good distance is not an option. So I'll start with the obvious question first. Does anybody ever use the rear brake? 2nd question: when you had to use it, were you damn thankful it was there to use? I'm thinking its only used when needed, and when its needed, its really needed, to stop very very quickly.

There's three ways to skin this cat. 1) Put together a leg that is pigeon toed, and used only for riding and carry one along for walking (PITA - last resort). 2) bend the brake pedal out so its somewhere in, or near, striking range. 3) some other mechanical solution somebody clever can envision.

I have forward controls that came stock on my '06 1200c. Mid-controls would only make foot stick out further. So.... is that pedal (which looks like cast aluminum) going to snap when I try to bend it outward? The brake pedal needs to move over to the right 2"-3" for it to usable (which is pushing the limits of the existing pedal). Any thoughts or suggestions on possible alterations/modifications are welcome. I surely don't want to snap the thing into two or three pieces.

PS. I already took a rubber spacer thingy out from behind air cleaner, which moved cover inward about 1/2". This helped a little, and makes pedal pressable at a stop in a weird, unnatural, contorted position. Was that gasket mission critical to proper air intake? Are there other air filter options that leave some room for the knee to be positioned more inward?

I'm just thinking ahead here to when I expand my riding horizons to get in the mix of thicker traffic with potential careless drivers, so all ideas are welcome and can come at your leasure. Maybe having the rear brake option is really necessary, I honestly wouldn't know.

Thanks for your help and input in advance.

Old 07-15-2014 | 07:44 PM
TormentedH-D
Advanced

Not sure if this is a possible mod for your Harley. But I know some sport bikes have integrated brakes. Which when you apply the front brakes, it also applies pressure on the rear too. I'm not sure if any Harley has this, maybe a v-rod or other high end Harley? The only thing I could think of, you might want to get some spacers. Or extend peg to replace the current brake peg.

Old 07-15-2014 | 07:50 PM
RickRock
|
Cruiser

Extending the peg is something I didn't think of. It would be nice to keep everything unbutchered. Just move things around and add or replace a special piece here or there. Thanks TormentedH-D. I will look into this route.

Old 07-15-2014 | 08:00 PM
"HI"
Road Master

Coming from sport bikes, I know the stunt guys have their rear brakes on a hand lever:

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...Rear-Brake-Kit

While searching, I also found this kit:

http://www.disabledmotorcyclerider.com/klever.html

Old 07-15-2014 | 08:23 PM
RickRock
|
Cruiser

Wow.. Those are quite the setups, "HI". The possibilities are endless, I guess. Thanks for widening my scope. I just ran out and had a closer look at the peg thing, and saw there are mounting holes for mid controls, and am thinking about locating just a brake pedal to mid position; so it can be activated by moving heel off forward peg and stomping on a pedal located rear of the existing peg instead of using front part of foot. Front part of prosthetic foot is more less fixed, i.e. no ankle inflection to be had.

Old 07-15-2014 | 08:47 PM
jasonryen
Cruiser

Not sure if this would work, but maybe left foot clutch, jockey shift, both brakes on the levers on bars?

Old 07-15-2014 | 09:09 PM
Von_Zipper
Road Warrior

I use the rear brake when:
1. I entered a turn real fast (while leaning over) and somebody cut me off unexpectedly so I cannot rely on front to do 100% of braking.
2. Riding in wet and there is an emergency.
3. Riding two up.
That's all. I'd say my frequency of touching the rear brake is less than once per month.

Old 07-16-2014 | 06:55 PM
TormentedH-D
Advanced

Originally Posted by "HI"
Coming from sport bikes, I know the stunt guys have their rear brakes on a hand lever:

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...Rear-Brake-Kit

While searching, I also found this kit:

http://www.disabledmotorcyclerider.com/klever.html
That's wild! I thought about something similar, but didn't say anything. I never knew that existed. I like the idea of the double lever on the left side.

Old 07-16-2014 | 06:59 PM
"HI"
Road Master

Yeah, guys on sport bikes that stunt have been using these setups for awhile now, how do you think they're able to sit on the handle bars and use the rear brakes!!!

Old 07-16-2014 | 07:04 PM
TormentedH-D
Advanced

Originally Posted by "HI"
Yeah, guys on sport bikes that stunt have been using these setups for awhile now, how do you think they're able to sit on the handle bars and use the rear brakes!!!
To be honest....I never thought about how they did it. Just that I don't have the ***** to do that on a bike!

Quick Reply: Rear Brake Issue (probably uncommon)