Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Survived an accident...now what?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 01:39 AM
1HDRIO
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Survived an accident...now what?

So I was in an accident this morning on my way to work. It was still dark out at around 0530 and as I was cruising at about 40 mph, I noticed lights coming from a side street and let off the throttle a bit. Next thing I know a silver scion pulls right out in front of me at the last minute! Didnt even bother to look or even pause at the stop sign. I slammed both brakes, screeched, and then slammed into her drivers side rear. I flew approx 10-15 meters..hit the pavement and slid into the grass. I'm walking away with just a broken collar bone and a few bruises. Full faced helm saved my head and the jeans and long sleeve protected my skin.

I have USAA full coverage, but I was not able to get the female drivers info since I went to the ER. Police found her at fault for failing to stop/yield.

Snapped this pic while laying on the ground in pain...
Untitled by rio_rx, on Flickr

by rio_rx, on Flickr

by rio_rx, on Flickr

by rio_rx, on Flickr

I am very thankful that I was able to walk away from it and I know it could've been worse....

Old 07-14-2014, 02:20 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,221 Likes on 2,456 Posts

Wow, that could have been so much worse, as you know...you are most fortunate!

Make sure HER insurance pays for everything to get a new bike worth the same value as the one she ruined...including labor costs, even if you did the work...plus all bills and lost wages....don't settle too soon, collarbones breaks can be problematic for years to come.

Shame.

Hope you heal up quickly!

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 07-14-2014, 03:34 AM
jojoenglish85
Road Captain

Sorry to hear this type of news man, im glad your ok and your still able to function like a normal human being after that accident. Im sure that was a wake up call for the cage driver and hopefully she pays more attention in the future.

USAA is usually good when it comes to claims/coverage, but they will still try to lowball you on the payout. Hopefully you have it all or almost payed off so you can find another bike in the future after you heal up

Old 07-14-2014, 03:45 AM
Fatboy3204
Intermediate

Glad to hear your good. She was probably texting or telling her friends on facebook that she was driving down the road before she ran the stop sign.

Old 07-14-2014, 06:12 AM
DrewBone
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Dear Lord, count your blessings, that's quite the wreck. I sure am glad you're able to be here to post about it!

'Not much else I can add that's already been mentioned other than I hope you heal quickly and completely, and that you get your new bike as soon and as painlessly as possible, so you can be back in the saddle again.

Regards & best wishes,
=8^)

Old 07-14-2014, 07:19 AM
Krieg
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad you're still here to tell the tale. Hope you heal up quickly!

Old 07-14-2014, 07:56 AM
BoredOutMyMind
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry about this bud...My dad was in and accident July 3rd and broke 5 ribs, then i was in an accident July 4th, some lady pulled infront of me too.
What I've learned so far, go ahead and make a claim against her insurance company, tell them the condition of your bike (they're going to total it). When she asks how are you, just tell them that your not doing well and in a lot of pain, THATS IT.
Hire a lawyer for the medical part for it. you will need pictures of the scene, motorcycle, and you. Police report, any copies of hospital bills, lost wages, police information exchange form and anything else you will think you might need.

As for the motorcycle part of it, gather ANY receipts you have on ALL after market stuff you bought for the bike and when the insurance company offers you a settlement on your bike, thats when you need be say no no no I put some money into this bike.

Old 07-14-2014, 08:16 AM
BoredOutMyMind
Cruiser

Don't let up on this either, get pissed, your were just hit by a F*CKING CAR!
Also when negotiating your bike settlement, if they don't give you what you want, hand it over to the lawyer.

Old 07-14-2014, 08:20 AM
billatstarbrite
Road Captain

Holy Shiite. Glad you are ok. Thank you angels, dude; it's a good thing they got up early that morning, too.

Old 07-14-2014, 09:45 AM
mydogfarted
Tourer

Don't bother going through your insurance - go directly to her's. That way you avoid paying your deductibles. USAA is going to just go after them for whatever money they pay out anyway.

Get a lawyer IMMEDIATELY. Take photographs of all your injuries IMMEDIATELY. This will all be needed in the potential lawsuit - you should be able to find someone to take this on contingency (they usually take 25-30% of the final). I waited a few weeks before contacting a lawyer when I had my accident, and she was upset because my bruises were already faded.

Quick Reply: Survived an accident...now what?