Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Ethanol Hoax Facts. This Will Affect All States Eventually

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 12:29 PM
badbs101
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Ethanol Hoax Facts. This Will Affect All States Eventually

Lots of push to get ethanol included in everybody's gas across the nation. At low levels it's an ok alternative to MTBE but the gov is pushing for 10% levels or even more. Plenty of E85 stations here in MN. It usually is marked well at the pump so you won't put it in by mistake. It's 85% ethanol and costs less than standard unleaded but gets less miles per dollar spent even at the cheaper price.

Ethanol is mandated 10% in MN unless you have a collector car or motorcycle. www.MSRA.com publishes a list of stations that sell non-oxygenated (ethanol free) gas in MN.

A law has been passed that will mandate 20% ethanol in all MN gas in a few years....ugh.
This is the wave of the future for all states as ethanol is promoted as a better alternative than oil. They're even promoting it as "cleaner burning" despite the fact that it causes smog levels to go up because of its higher burn temps.

http://www.siouxcityjournal.com/arti...74000839f5.txt

http://www.businessweek.com/autos/co...x+page_insight

It will clog carbed bikes and small engines if left in the tank for even relatively short periods of time. FI bikes are lesser affected by this.

It is also less efficient causing more to be burned so expect decreased performance and more trips to the gas station. Further and probably more insidious is the often unpublished fact that itcuts deeply into the corn supply causing higher food prices on a variety of products including milk, beef and of course corn. You'll pay more at the pump and at the table.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070307/lf_nm/renewable_energy_hunger_dc_4

Ethanol also burns invisibly, Indy car racingfans know this as water is dumped on people the second fuel is spilt despite no visible flames, so the chance for an accident is greater. Imagine a gas station fire that can not be seen when it starts.

Ethanol is NOT the answer despite the rhetoric to the contrary.

Old 04-04-2007, 01:03 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts
Default RE: The Ethanol Hoax Facts. This Will Affect All States Eventually

The key is "This Will Affect All States Eventually". As there are only a handful of vehicles currently manufactured that can run E85 this is not an urgent issue and there is little chance that the US has the crop resources to fuel the entire country on E85. The problem with putting E85 in a non E85 vehicle is that it destroys rubber gaskets & seals. Just pay attention and avoid E85 pumps.

Old 04-04-2007, 01:53 PM
badbs101
Road Master

ORIGINAL: cHarley

The key is "This Will Affect All States Eventually". As there are only a handful of vehicles currently manufactured that can run E85 this is not an urgent issue and there is little chance that the US has the crop resources to fuel the entire country on E85. The problem with putting E85 in a non E85 vehicle is that it destroys rubber gaskets & seals. Just pay attention and avoid E85 pumps.
Maybe you misunderstood my post or it wasn't clear. Even E10 (10% ethanol)gas causes the problems I listed. Many states already require 10% ethanol and many don't. I avoid the E10 like the plague in my bike and am suggesting that others avoid it too if there's another option.

My main point is don't believe the ethanol hype as the corn lobby must be a strong one. Anyone remember the beginning of corn syrup being put in soda back in the 70's? Made a difference and not for the good.

Old 04-04-2007, 02:11 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Here is HD's current position dealing with Gasoline Blends;

"Your motorcycle was designed to get the best performance and efficiency using unleaded gasoling. Most gasoline sold in the United States is blended with alcohol and/or ether, to create oxygenated blends. The type and amount of alcohol or either added to the fuel is important.

CAUTION

Do not use gasoline that contains methanol. Doing so may result in fuel system component failure, engine damage and/or equipment malfunction.

Gasoline containing METHYL TERTIARY BUTYL ETHER (MTBE): Gasoline/MTBE blends are a mixture of gasoline and as much as 15% MTBE. Gasoline/MTBE blends can be used in your motorcycle.

ETHANOL is a mixture of 10% ethanol (Grain alcohol) and 90% unleaded gasoline. Gasoline/ethanol blends can be used in your motorcycle if the ethanol content does not exceed 10%.

REFORMULATED OR OXYGENATED GASOLINES (RFG): Reformulated gasoline is a term used to describe gasoline blends that are specifically designed to burn cleaner than other types of gasoline, leaving fewer tailpipe emissions. They are also formulated to evaporate less when you are filling your tank.Reformulated gasolines use additives to oxygenate the gas. Your motorcycle will run normally using this type of gas and Harley Davidson recommends you use it when possible, as an aid to cleaner air in our environment.

((And in their wisdom they add the following disclaimer))

You may find that some gasoline blends adversely affect the starting, driveability or fuel efficiency of your motorcycle. If you experience one or more of these problems, it's recommended you operate your motorcycle on straight unleaded gasoline."

Old 04-04-2007, 02:27 PM
1200c
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All the gas around here is 10% ethanol. I haven't noticed any of the symptoms you mentioned except the crappy fuel economy.

Old 04-04-2007, 02:33 PM
badbs101
Road Master

ORIGINAL: 1200c

All the gas around here is 10% ethanol. I haven't noticed any of the symptoms you mentioned except the crappy fuel economy.
Maybe you don't store your bike or if you do, drain your carb. If you don't drain your carb and store it, you'll notice more symptoms.

Also, decreased performance goes hand in hand with your poorer fuel economy.

You haven't noticed poorer air quality? Most people probably wouldnt but it is a documented side effect of ethanol despite the fact that it is being sold to us as "cleaner burning". see link.

http://www.siouxcityjournal.com/articles/2007/01/31/news_business/local/bac223f5926c876586257274000839f5.txt

You haven't noticed higher food prices? c'mon... In developing countries food costshave a greater impact than in the US. Our demand for ethanol will impact those least ableto pay. See links

http://cbs4denver.com/local/local_story_092233936.html

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070307/lf_nm/renewable_energy_hunger_dc_4

Maybe you haven't noticed the side effects but that doesn't mean they aren't there.

Sleep on sheeple.

Old 04-04-2007, 02:48 PM
1200c
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe you don't store your bike or if you do, drain your carb. If you don't drain your carb and store it, you'll notice more symptoms.
Yes, I store it by draining the carb and adding fuel stabilizer.

Decreased performance goes hand in hand with poorer fuel economy.
I can't deny that. I've had non-ethanol gas and both performance and fuel economy really improved.

You haven't noticed poorer air quality? Most people probably wouldnt but it is a documented side effect of ethanol despite the fact that it is being sold to us as "cleaner burning". see links.
HAHAHA. I live in Chicago. We don't have any good air.

The only thing that really concerns me out of all that is problems with seals and so far I haven't experienced any problems.

Old 04-04-2007, 03:38 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

There is absolutly no problem with 10% ethanol fuel other than a little loss of mileage/performance. Even with regular unleaded, non Ethanol fuel, you have to add a stabilizer (Sta-Bil) if your going to store it. I've stored 10% ethanol gas with Sta-bil for over 18 months in my emergency generator without any problems at all. I then drained it and put in in my car. Never a problem. Also, I never drain the carb. There is no reason to do so if the fuel is stabilized. 20 years experience doing it and never an issue come spring.

Old 04-04-2007, 03:45 PM
toemoss
Advanced

Living in Iowa I have delt with ethanol for at least 8 years if not longer. Yes I notice the difference in power in %10 but not to any symptoms that were described above. But working as a bike mechanic I store my bike properly and never let the fuel sit too long in the tank either. As far as cars go I have never noticed a difference from ethanol to non ethanol in any of my vehicles and ethanol is always at least .10 cents cheaper a galon and is 89-90 octane compare to the other non ethanol stuff which is either 87 or 91 octane and more expensive.

Old 04-04-2007, 04:49 PM
scubabike420
Cruiser

Ethanol is a big con. In the end it causes more polution and any resulting reduction in our national oil consumption will be matched by a supply reduction.

Quick Reply: The Ethanol Hoax Facts. This Will Affect All States Eventually