Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil leak 87 1100

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 10:30 PM
papashine
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil leak 87 1100

I picked up a project bike just a few days ago and I know that oil leaks arent real common on the EVO's to my knowledge. He said if you drove it around 2 country blocks the oil tank would be empty but the motor would still have some in it. It does doesn't really leak very much when its turned off. a very slow drip, but when the motor is running it pours out so I was thinking its an oil line and when pressure is built off the pump it would puke out. I've been trying to take it apart to pull the whole pump and all the lines off it and replace them all and see if it would still puke oil all over.

has anyone had any hidden leaks that they could share so I could check them out or know of something else I should check out on this?

I really am itching to get this going and its also 152 of 650 for the 30th anniversary

thanks for all the help!

Last edited by papashine; 07-06-2014 at 04:57 PM.
Old 07-05-2014, 11:04 PM
run1fsr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the bike.

Where is it puking oil from? If the oil tank then it may simply be overfilled. The tank should not be topped off when cold. Just a reading on the dipstick base is all you need.

If you do not have a service manual, the first thing to do is procure one, as that will provide a detailed drawing of the oil lines. Try and snag a used one on eBay.

FYI – Attached is a pic of my 30th Anniversary #178. I sold it last month.

Attached Thumbnails oil leak 87 1100-1987.jpg  
Old 07-05-2014, 11:39 PM
Mountain Child
Intermediate

Can you tell exactly where the leak is coming from? I also suggest getting a manual before you start tearing it down.

Old 07-06-2014, 04:53 PM
papashine
Novice

I have a book for it, I cant tell where the leak is coming from really all I can say is there is oil on the front side of the engine, and drips dead center of the bike, tank is not over filled. I was assuming that it was a gasket that let loose being it is from 87 and the motor has never been opened or it was a oil hose, I was going to pull all the hoses and replace them all because they are feeling stiff. I also pulled the cover that is over the sprocket and the whole trans is covered in grim, I'm sure its just from being old and used but it has to have a slow leak somewhere that would cause it to look the way it does. I tried to pull the front cover off on the left side to see the oil pump better and be able to make better judgement but I only will come out about a half inch and stop. I have all the bolts I can see removed and I started to think there was a electrical or something but I was looking in the book and didnt see anything but gears.

I want to add when I pulled the oil filter housing the smaller of the 2 lines dont know what one the hose spun really freely on the fitting and the other one is pretty stiff.
http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....TANK-W/-FILTER

No. 35

I will be honest i'm not a real big book guy, I don't spend much time looking at one but I did sit down last night for a solid two hours and a few more on the computer last night looking at stuff trying to understand things a little better, I feel these are a pretty simple motor just dont understand where the oil is coming from.

if you dont mind what did you get for your bike? I didn't really plan on buying this bike, I was going to get a 67 with a electric and kick start that was just rebuild and the guy sold it just as I was leaving work to get it I got the call. I was also going to look at a 78 Iron head but then this one came up and I figured this is something special and one off and has its own kind of cool. I'll post some pics when I get it running, Its all stock minus the mufflers, just came with the stock headers.

thanks for the help, I'm gonna eat something and start working on it again and hopefully can find whats the issue is

Old 07-06-2014, 07:29 PM
run1fsr
Outstanding HDF Member

If you’ve not done so already, start by thoroughly cleaning the engine. That should help in troubleshooting where the oil is migrating from.

Also be careful when removing covers. Specifically the right side cover closest to the front exhaust, or you could easily end up with a set of cam gears falling out.

Old 07-06-2014, 10:18 PM
papashine
Novice

well I got all the covers removed. gears fell out but I got them put back in properly pulled valve covers to pull push rods and stuff. I 99% sure I found the cause of the leak and it was right off the oil pump. I'm ordering all new gaskets for both left and right covers, oil pump housing and valve cover gaskets along with all new hoses.

one question I have is on the clutch side, on the shaft that holds the chain tensioner there is a spring on the out side of the tensioner, one side goes under the tensioner, where does the other side sit? I looked in the book I have my buddy looked and came up with no dice, I was put at a stand still cause I didnt have a big enough allen head to pull the starter off to aid in replacing the oil lines..

Thanks for the help!

Old 07-06-2014, 10:43 PM
run1fsr
Outstanding HDF Member

I believe that spring sits on a threaded shaft, along with a plate below, and straddles the chain adjuster.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:27 PM
papashine
Novice

thanks I'll look for that tomorrow when I work on it.

Old 07-08-2014, 08:02 PM
papashine
Novice

well I did a little more digging and found after I pulled my starter that one of the oil lines had a bunch of pin holes in it also, I'm waiting on parts now. I sadly wont have this running as soon as I was hoping. I wanted to have it running some one on wed. cause they are coming back but oh well, have to just wait.

Old 07-08-2014, 08:29 PM
run1fsr
Outstanding HDF Member

Best to address it now. Glad to learn that you located the problem.

Quick Reply: oil leak 87 1100