Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buell swingarm on a sportster?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 08:13 PM
DrewBone
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by davidnewtonparr
...I think that continuing my education and getting better at wrenching on a harley is the best bet... and besides, how is it anybodies business at all how I spend my money. If I want advice from an old man, I'll call my dad, I'm looking for solid advice and support from the community.

Sheesh.

Besides, it's a harley, if it doesn't work out, I'll rip it apart and make it something else.
Easy now cowboy! I know my diatribes may seem a bit on the long side I admit, but for cripes sake I always have peoples best interests at heart. This "old man" and others whom you're so quick to hammer has been around the bend, and while doing so I've learned the hard way about a great many things. Looking back at my yute I wished that someone had been there to talk me out of doing the wrong thing or to be there to offer me sound advice before I went ahead with certain things.

One of these days, if you make it there, you'll be that "old man" and you'll be wondering why these young know-it-all punk bitches give you a rash of $hit whenever you try to offer some kind of thought invoking process' or advice. Enjoy!

Back to the subject. I trully hope that your ideas pan out and that you succeed at creating that special purpose bike. Your ideas seem sound and your willingness to go out of the box is very commendable; if we kept everything the same, nothing would ever change - and what a boring a$$ world we would live in if that was the case...

For the reading comprehension challenged, I'll spell it out again; I hope the OP succeeds at creating this bike. I don't care if he has the $$ or not, if anyone thinks he's stupid or not, or if he knows the difference between solid advice and a solid vice.

Please do keep this thread alive. I want to see your swingarm extension and am very interested in how you're going to accomplish this. I'm a weld freak and always appreciate anyone who is well accomplished at this art form and mad fabrication.

'My apologies if I ruffled your feathers.

=8^)

Old 07-04-2014, 11:08 PM
run1fsr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

No need for the “Old Man” remark … that’s offensive. The comments made were meant to be helpful and expressed primarily for safety. How you spend your cash I honestly do not care.

Here are a few pics from last fall when I had my Buell apart for a belt and isolator replacement. Anything is possible, but considering the design differences, mating the Sportster frame and Buell swing arm will be a task. Additionally, please be advised that first generation and second generation Buell configurations vary widely. You may want to check out Bad Weather Bikes. It is a Buell site visited by many talented dudes building and riding some cool Buell stuff. Likely a better source for info.

Best of luck with your project.

Attached Thumbnails Buell swingarm on a sportster?-photo-1-31-.jpg   Buell swingarm on a sportster?-photo-2-29-.jpg   Buell swingarm on a sportster?-photo-3-18-.jpg  
Old 07-05-2014, 06:33 AM
DrewBone
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by grbrown
I've gone beyond what most owners will ever do, with my Glide, but took the easy root on the 'Sporty' front by buying Buttercup - she came with one of those swingarms and 100HP!

Saweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!! >bOiNg< Uh oooops, sorry What a beautiful bike, thanks for posting!

=8^)

Old 07-05-2014, 06:45 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by DrewBone
Saweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!! >bOiNg< Uh oooops, sorry What a beautiful bike, thanks for posting!

=8^)
Thanks - she's cute, ain't she?!

Old 07-05-2014, 06:48 AM
DrewBone
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by grbrown
Thanks - she's cute, ain't she?!

Damn right!! She looks to be in immaculate showroom condition too. 'You ever ride that thing?! J/K!!

=8^)

Old 07-05-2014, 08:40 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Cool

Rode it only yesterday, but I cannot lie, those photos were when she was only a few weeks old (I bought it new in '08).