Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carb issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 01:13 PM
1911man
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carb issues

Im posting this here because I posted on the carb board first and had no responses in over a week.

As the title reads I have an 05 sporty that is carbed. The bike has been sitting for about a year so today I opened up the carb and cleaned her out. Took the bowl off and cleaned and basically "pressure washed" the entire carb with carb cleaner and compressed air.

The bike fired right up but did not want to idle so I tried giving it throttle and it just kept dieing. Finally I figure out if I would just rev it back and forth instead of holding the throttle open it that it would stay alive and finally it warmed up enough to idle.

Well it is idling like crap and if I try to slowly accelerate the throttle the bike stumbles and backfires out of the carb. When I just rev it by flicking my wrist but not holding it the bike sounds fine and doesnt stumble.

Any ideas? Help is greatly appreciated.

Old 07-02-2014, 01:56 PM
Crex39
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you take the throttle cables off? If you did, did you replace them correctly and adjust them?

Old 07-02-2014, 02:15 PM
BootheatsBUGS
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Assuming you cleaned out the jets and stuff. Did you properly set the idle SPEED screw? Has the idle MIX screw cap been opened up yet? Is the carb seated properly? Intake seals shot?

Also check your battery cables. Are they clean and tight? I chased "fuel" problems for months before I found my battery cables were loose.

Old 07-02-2014, 03:21 PM
1911man
Advanced

I never took the carb off the bike, i just just took it aparty while mounted. Popped off the bowl and cleaned each part individually with air pressure and carb cleaner. Everything seems to be seating normally. I did not mess with the speed screw. If I revv it past 3k it backfires through the carb and it just doesnt want to stay running.

Old 07-02-2014, 03:33 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by 1911man
I never took the carb off the bike, i just just took it aparty while mounted. Popped off the bowl and cleaned each part individually with air pressure and carb cleaner. Everything seems to be seating normally. I did not mess with the speed screw. If I revv it past 3k it backfires through the carb and it just doesnt want to stay running.
Sorry, but it would probably take a magician to properly clean the carb without removing it from the bike and then completely disassembling it.
It sounds like your pilot jet circuit is plugged up.

FYI, keeping it running by twisting the throttle open & closed only proves that the accelerator pump is working.

Old 07-02-2014, 06:16 PM
CouchMaster
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cHarley
Sorry, but it would probably take a magician to properly clean the carb without removing it from the bike and then completely disassembling it.
It sounds like your pilot jet circuit is plugged up.

FYI, keeping it running by twisting the throttle open & closed only proves that the accelerator pump is working.
I agree, take it off and disassemble. Remove all of the jets and thread a piece of screen wire through each one cleaning the crud out. If you have to, soak the parts in pine sol over night. You will be surprised at how clean the parts will look. Reassemble and ride the heck out of it.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:50 AM
1911man
Advanced

What parts are blocked by the carb being on the bike? I was able to pull out all of the jets and clean the ports they were in with no problem, unless I am missing something and there are more than two jets?

Old 07-03-2014, 10:30 AM
dwagar
Road Master
Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

you didn't pull it slightly, out of the carb to manifold seal? Or the seal off the manifold a hair?

Old 07-03-2014, 10:52 AM
ClodeV
Tourer

whats your gas like? did you put in new gas? leaving the carb on the intake is like doing the job 95% but if that works for you, your bike. I have a sneaky suspition the pilot jet still has something in it. the pilot jet feets the card up to 25% that it moves to the main by % of throttle given. this would account for the stumble with while slowly twisting the throttle. If you have it idling OK now take some carb cleaner or starting fluid and spray it around the intake rubber if it accelerates you intake rubber needs to be replaced. make sure it is seated correctly before doing this so you dont get a false reading. Hope this helps.

Old 07-03-2014, 11:12 AM
hdbob2006
Stellar HDF Member
Received 425 Likes on 302 Posts

It would be easy to mess up the float setting taking the bowl off that way. As said,take it off,clean it up,[soaking in actual carb cleaner] and set the float level as in your shop manual. I have sometimes spent over an hour just getting the float adjusted on these things,it is critical.

Quick Reply: Carb issues