Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1000 mile service is a gold mine for dealers

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 03:05 PM
FORDTUFF
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1000 mile service is a gold mine for dealers

After looking at what is required for the 1000 mile service , i do not see anything that can not be done by anyone that has ever changed their own oil or sparkplugs. I have read many comments about voiding the warranty if the dealer does not perform the 1000 mile service, but has anyone actually had their warranty denied bacause of this or any other reason , such as aftermarket parts.How many riders do their own 1000 mile service ? I am new to this forum and have had my bilke for about 3 days, (2207 1200R ) and am learin a lot about the bike from reading the posts

Old 04-03-2007, 04:13 PM
XLer8
Advanced
Default RE: 1000 mile service is a gold mine for dealers

The dealer can not legally void your warranty because you choose to do your service work yourself, just keep your receipts and document everything. That being said, if you ever have a problem just outside the warranty period, they are going to be alot more flexible if youare a "good customer". I choose to do all my own work, I have seen too much stuffhacked at dealers. Not saying there are not good techs, but I'm not taking chances. You are right, the first service is a goldmine. Oil, filter, trans oil are the only materials, the rest is labour. If you do plan on doing your own work, I suggest a service manual.

Old 04-03-2007, 04:31 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

When are you guys going to learn to get it thrown in with the purchase, Don't say anything about it till the price negotiations are done, then say "OK, I'll pay that right now,,,BUT,,, I want the first service at no charge, they'll go for it everytime!

Old 04-04-2007, 12:22 PM
XLer8
Advanced

That's a good idea, but I'd still rather do the work myself. Ever walk into into a service bay and see the sidecovers off a bike shiny side down on the workbench holding bolts? I have, and it won't be mine.

Old 04-04-2007, 12:44 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: XLer8

That's a good idea, but I'd still rather do the work myself. Ever walk into into a service bay and see the sidecovers off a bike shiny side down on the workbench holding bolts? I have, and it won't be mine.
That's a very good point but, to the original post, what service at whatever dealership regarding whatever vehicle isn't a gold mine? They all are.

Old 04-04-2007, 12:50 PM
wild hog
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

If you can do your own service I would strongly recommend it. I worked as a service advisor for the stealership I bought my bike from. I bought the bike before I started working there. After the horror stories I witnessed first hand I refused to bring my own bike there! Yes, there are some good techs out there. However there are more people in the dealership touching your bike than just the techs. I have seen work done on $30,000.00 bikes with no fender or tank covers just because people are lazy and the bike come out with DEEP SCRATCHES from tools then the dealer looks a guy in the eye and says those were there when you brought it in.Myself if there is a piece of lint on my bike I freakin know about it , never mine my paint job being ruined!This kind of stuff went onweekly and eventually I was so disgusted I left. BECAREFUL! Just my 2 cents.

Old 04-04-2007, 03:48 PM
Hagar the Horrible
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It is a shame you can't buy factory direct. You could even uncrate it yourself, or better yet why not buy the parts and assemble the bike so none of the factory geeks get to touch it either. Gimme a break its a friggen motorcyle. You let strange doctors and nurses touch your kids, but heaven forbid some tech goes near yourbike. Get real.

Arent some of you the same ones bitchin about the quality of the parts Harley uses because you stripped a bolt?

Old 04-04-2007, 03:58 PM
TXjammer
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Hagar the Horrible

It is a shame you can't buy factory direct. You could even uncrate it yourself, or better yet why not buy the parts and assemble the bike so none of the factory geeks get to touch it either. Gimme a break its a friggen motorcyle. You let strange doctors and nurses touch your kids, but heaven forbid some tech goes near yourbike. Get real.

Arent some of you the same ones bitchin about the quality of the parts Harley uses because you stripped a bolt?
Just on a humorous note, I bet if you could uncrated and assemble it yourself, you could probably buy a $18,500 Harley for around $9,000!!! BLUE LIGHT SPECIAL ON ALL NEW MODEL SPORTSTERS TODAY...JUST $3,995 + T.T.&L.!!!!!!!

Old 04-04-2007, 05:43 PM
MacAttack
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll need a Torx set, a torque wrench, and maybe the belt tension tool. The brake calipers have a special socket as well. A couple fasteners are hard to get to. I just did mine last weekend, and I found one loose nut on the front upper engine mount. So it is worth retorquing. You'll save enough doing it yourself to pay for the tools. Mac

By the way, what's with this "Rangerup.com" banner, with a guy wearing a shirt that says "I club hippies?" I'd like to see him come over and club me. One product I won't be buying. If you want to feel like a Ranger, they're always hiring, and thereal ones in Baghdad could use some R&R.

Old 04-04-2007, 06:11 PM
NightsterHooligan
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: HOTLAP

When are you guys going to learn to get it thrown in with the purchase, Don't say anything about it till the price negotiations are done, then say "OK, I'll pay that right now,,,BUT,,, I want the first service at no charge, they'll go for it everytime!
Be careful about the "free" first service. I don't know about the rest of you, but I was told my first servicewas "free". Actually, it's really not, with the $495 initial set up fee they charged, basically I paid for it up front. All the other charges where the usual reasonable charges. Any of the metric manufacturers charge about $150 for set up. I told them I thought the charge was ridiculous and they went on about how the first service was "free". Just sales and marketing, smoke and mirrors.

Quick Reply: 1000 mile service is a gold mine for dealers