Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1000 mile service is a gold mine for dealers

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 07:31 PM
davidc
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: 1000 mile service is a gold mine for dealers

It is a shame you can't buy factory direct. You could even uncrate it yourself, or better yet why not buy the parts and assemble the bike so none of the factory geeks get to touch it either. Gimme a break its a friggen motorcyle. You let strange doctors and nurses touch your kids, but heaven forbid some tech goes near yourbike. Get real.
Sportsters get no repect from Stealers service departments. Myself and one of my friends have both had our sportsters screwed up by the service departments of 2 different stealers. Mine I took in for 1K service they had it for 4 days I got it back went for a long ride the next days riding along as it was getting dark took a sharp left turn and the back of the bike kicked out like a dirt track racer. I was able to keep the bike upright but it scared the sh_t out of me rode home the rest of they way easy not understanding what happened. Got the bike in my garage turned on the lights to see the whole back of the bike covered insyn 3 oilincluding the rear tire and brakes fender wheel etc... The oil was coming out of the derby cover which the gasket was not seated properly. Had the stealer pick up bike replace rear brakes, tire and clean bike they tried to just clean the rear tire I said no way replace it. They replaced the tire and rebalance the wheel, a month latter I see something in my driveway that looks like a socket go pick it up, it is a wheel weight from my rear wheel they did not crimp it on tight enough. My friend took his Sportster in for 1K service went to leave Stealer got a mile down the road bike was sputtering and running like crap turned around and took it Had to leave it because it was the end of the day and all the techs had left for the day. Picked it up the next day and was given some BS excuse that the plugs needed to be cleaned, he never got straight answer what really happened. Lesson learned Sportsters get no respect from Stealer they usally have their least experienced techs working on them. Their careless mistake could have cost me some serious injury or my life so I have a hard time trusting them anymore.

Old 04-04-2007, 10:02 PM
thundergod
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did my own my dealer said would void warranty. dealer about 50 miles away said screw them if something goes wrong bring it to him and he will honor the warranty.

Old 04-04-2007, 10:10 PM
twisty571
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts

$190 well spentnext ride a Peg fell off and my Derby cover was missing a boltthey took care of it though[8D]

Old 04-05-2007, 02:05 PM
XLer8
Advanced

ORIGINAL: Hagar the Horrible

It is a shame you can't buy factory direct. You could even uncrate it yourself, or better yet why not buy the parts and assemble the bike so none of the factory geeks get to touch it either. Gimme a break its a friggen motorcyle. You let strange doctors and nurses touch your kids, but heaven forbid some tech goes near yourbike. Get real.

Arent some of you the same ones bitchin about the quality of the parts Harley uses because you stripped a bolt?
I do trust my kids to doctors, but doctors are trained. Alot of the dealers run with one good tech with training, with a bunch of kids working under him. Guess who is going to be working on the Road King and who will behacking upthe Sportster? They still charge the same labour rate for the kid or the tech. Been there done that, not going back. Especially when I can do it myself and have peace of mind that all work that should be performed was, and was done right. Just my .02, do what you like with your bike.

Old 04-05-2007, 09:21 PM
Dallastx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I paid 1400 bucks for all maintance until 2009 and 300 for the tire waranty. I find it a sound investment.

Old 04-05-2007, 11:03 PM
MSgtJoe
Tourer

For those of us who are not the most talented wrench turners I have to depend on the dealer for this. When I shopped the several dealers in my area the service department was one of the places I visited. Decided on my dealership not only based on the price of the ride, but also the staff working there (people there actually remember you and call you by name) and the service department. I look at it this way, the amount of time I will spend trying to figure everything out along with having to have things corrected when I screw them up are worth the service fee. Just my humble opinion.

Old 04-05-2007, 11:46 PM
Zeb
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Hagar the Horrible

Arent some of you the same ones bitchin about the quality of the parts Harley uses because you stripped a bolt?

I take my kids to the doctor because the law does not allow me to prescribe medicine to them, etc., and to do a lot of the things that only doctors are lawfully allowed to do.

No law keeps me from working on my bike, however, and I trust myself a lot more than I trust anyone else to look out for me.

As the old saying goes, if you want something done right, do it yourself.

And by the way, doctor mistakes kill far more people a year than guns or home-worked-on Harleys.

Old 04-06-2007, 12:01 AM
Drifterjs
Intermediate

$275.00 at the dealer. Made the appointment for Saturday morning 8am. I have been riding the sportster daily to work to hit 1000 miles by Saturday. I am at 802 and during the 140 mile round trip I had lots of time to think. $275.00 to basically change the oil???? I called back and cancelled the appointment.

Old 04-06-2007, 12:31 AM
FORDTUFF
Advanced

And for that $275.00 you take what kind of oil they want to give you. If you ask for something special you will be paying even more.

Old 04-06-2007, 01:13 AM
bretho
Advanced

yep ! Ive just clocked up 1150 miles and still undesided , i think i will do the service myself and even buy a workshop service manual to follow so i have something to fall back on in case of a warranty issue in the future,
bretho

Quick Reply: 1000 mile service is a gold mine for dealers