Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fitting Hollywood Bars to 2011 48 anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2014 | 04:06 PM
Hughieboy
|
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fitting Hollywood Bars to 2011 48 anyone?

Hi,

I just bought a set of secondhand original HD Hollywood bars for my 48. Only when they arrived I found that they have no dimples and require internal wiring.... Which will look better but was unexpected and I wanted them fitted quickly (local bike night tomorrow night). And then I find out that HD recommend a 4" wiring extension for £65.00! It gets better.....

So my question is, has anyone else fitted these and is the 4" extension really necessary? If not I will crack on but I don't want to take a chance, strip it out and then find out that I really do need the extra 4" (ooer Missus!)

The fella I bought the from said he had them fitted without internal wiring.... But I can't see how when there are no dimples but there are holes....

Can anyone advise on this? Otherwise it will be back on with the standard bars until I have the time and extra wiring....

Thanks

Old 06-30-2014 | 07:04 AM
saddleupmc
Tourer
Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

I just purchased a set for my Sportster. I went the lazy route and tried to install without internal wiring, when I tightened everything down I pinched the ignition wire. When I tried to fire things up it created a short and popped the fuse. I had to find the pinch and splice and solder the wire, frustrating to say the least. Take your time, get the extensions, go internal wiring.

Old 06-30-2014 | 04:00 PM
Hughieboy
|
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by saddleupmc
I just purchased a set for my Sportster. I went the lazy route and tried to install without internal wiring, when I tightened everything down I pinched the ignition wire. When I tried to fire things up it created a short and popped the fuse. I had to find the pinch and splice and solder the wire, frustrating to say the least. Take your time, get the extensions, go internal wiring.
Damn, that's a real arseache for you.....

Anyhow, I decided this morning to do it the proper way and see if the existing wires were long enough..... And they were! I already had my loom routed up over the frame under the tank (I have a 2" lift kit fitted) so whether that gave me more slack than normal I don't know.....

But the good news it all went together as it should and the wires aren't too tight, nor are the throttle or clutch cables.... But I have ordered a braided front brake pipe as I have had to bend the standard one away a little for it to reach temporarily.

It took me about three or four hours all told but most of that time was spent messing around removing and re-inserting the wires into the Deutsch connectors under the tank.

I'm glad I did it this way, the guy I bought them from reckoned he didn't internally wire them on the same model bike as mine so I guess he must have pinched his wires too but got lucky!