Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Local HOG Chapters

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 01:23 PM
speedmastermotor
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Local HOG Chapters

Is it worth joining a local HOG chapter, just curious what the sportster crowd thinks. The one I'm near just try's to tell me my sportster isn't big enough to be a real Harley.

Old 06-28-2014, 01:42 PM
pjgoeman
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I think every HOG club is a little different. My local club is very informal - no officers, no dues, no bs. There's a HOG coordinator at the dealer that organizes the rides and whoever shows up, goes. I ride a Sportster, sometimes the only one on the ride, and I've never heard a comment about it. Many rides are 200 miles plus but there are also some shorter events. If your local club is giving you a hard time about your Sportster I would tell them and their Lazy Boy bikes to kiss my azz.

Old 06-28-2014, 02:25 PM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

Those puzzy a$$ wannabees make comments like that and you're still considering? WTF??? I could voice much more on my opinion of HOG, but it's just not worth the time.

Old 06-28-2014, 03:41 PM
kingxirol
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
I heard the same at my local HOG chapter form a few and got the same general feeling (Sportsters are not big enough to be called a Harley) even though I can smoke pretty much all the xxx-Glides owned by those guys (have done it a few times already ) on the road. So I said DILLIGAF and joined the local motorcycle riders groups which is 1400+ strong and much more friendly than the HOG chapter.

However I do agree that these examples are more like exceptions than the rule.

You don't need to pay attention to them. Find a group you WANT to ride with not have to. It's all about riding and if you aren't happy or feeling weird while doing it, it's not worth it IMO.

Old 06-28-2014, 04:10 PM
blackSP
Tourer
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

The Amsterdam HOG chapter (13FF13) is more like a MC (the 99% type) with a club house with a bar, ride outs, a president and all the rest of it except the colors. Real fun to hang around on the Thursday evening gatherings.

Old 06-28-2014, 05:14 PM
dwagar
Road Master
Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

I really enjoy riding with my local chapter. Really nice people, plenty of stuff to do. Being a member forces me to book a Saturday or a Sunday off of yard work and ****, and get out and spend a day riding.

Near the end of July, about 50 of us are riding down (from Calgary) to Spokane for the Tri State HOG rally, 5 or 6 days out. Should be a blast. I expect I'll be the only Sportster in our group. With 1300+ Harleys showing up, I'll bet Sportsters will be well represented. A couple of the guys have said it'd be an easier ride on a big twin, but no reason not to go on a Sportster.

I also ride once in awhile with the Calgary Motorcycle Club. Gotta get out and ride.

The reason so many Harleys show up for sale used with no miles is the owners don't join a group to ride with.

Are you sure they are really insulting your ride, or are they just giving you a friendly ribbing, ie, they are accepting you into the group. Have you tried just laughing it off?

Old 06-29-2014, 06:43 AM
KJB
Tourer
Received 73 Likes on 29 Posts

I did attend a meeting of my local HOG chapter to see if it was something I wanted to do. I got a 1 year free national HOG membership when I purchased my bike last fall. What I determined from the meeting is these people are REALLY into biking. That’s not a bad thing by any means and I’m really happy they are doing their thing. In my case, biking is just one of my many hobbies that also includes RV-travel, classic cars and flying airplanes. If I join something I want to jump in with both feet and be involved rather than just to be a name on a roster. My thought for now is I would not be active enough in the chapter to warrant joining.

Old 06-29-2014, 10:33 AM
yzergod
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

My local chapter is the "blue hairs that like to eat more than ride and have to stop to pee every 20 minutes" chapter. Pay dues for that bullshit?

Old 06-29-2014, 12:22 PM
speedmastermotor
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Yeah I think what it comes down to is how much of a sales tool the local dealership makes the chapter they sponsor. In my case unfortunately they use their cigar store Indians to promote an atmosphere where it’s all about buying a bigger more expensive motorcycle.
So for me I’m just going to ride and see how my sportster holds up.

Old 06-29-2014, 12:34 PM
dwagar
Road Master
Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

You might look into other local clubs too.

Quick Reply: Local HOG Chapters