Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

build thread, slow going.

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 09:46 AM
170-3tree
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default build thread, slow going.

Hey all. Been on here for a while, but not posted much, learning a lot about Harley and my bike in particular. It's a 2013 gold 48 that I fell in love with some five years ago right after high school. It is my first bike so I spent the first few months of ownership learning to ride safely and deciding what needed to be done to make it "my ride"

The goal of this bike, along with every car I've ever owned is to be different than the crowd with my modifications, unless, of course, going with the crowd is the best way to go for me.

Don't have the ability to post pictures now, but will when I get home tonight.

So far I've removed belt guards, added a h-d solo saddle bag and spent almost all of Tuesday detailing her polishing out some paint swirls and getting bugs off. On order I have an exhaust and will pick up a race tuner tonight from the stealership. Originally had the power commander ordered, but no one around here will mess with it on the dyno.

Coming mods will be having a tank made that retains the original peanut style while holding more fuel, getting a seat I don't slide right off of, cams, big bore, forward facing intake, and handle bars once I determine what I want there.

Pics to come!!
Gerald

Old 06-26-2014, 10:41 AM
dwagar
Road Master
Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

If you check around online, I think you can find a larger tank that is still peanut shaped. Probably a lot cheaper than having one made.

Old 06-26-2014, 11:10 AM
mbspark
Advanced

Ok, I'll bite...how did you fall in love with a 2013 bike 5 years ago?

Old 06-26-2014, 01:27 PM
170-3tree
Advanced

I meant I found the style five years ago. Not this bike.. haha.

I've tried up and down trying to find a tank that I like, but haven't found much of anything. Did find a fellow fairly local that can make one or modify mine for me for about what Harley charges for a primed replacement. I was going to get the 4.5 from j&p but they list unavailable or "call for info" but for around the same money I can get one made to my liking. Honestly, I'd take a whack at doing it myself if I had more than one day off a week.

Old 06-26-2014, 07:47 PM
170-3tree
Advanced

Slid by the dealer today and tried to get the pro tuner. They simply would not sell it to me. Now trying to source it online before I go to the next dealer to try to get a hold of it. I'm fairly fluent in tuners on cars so the learning curve doesn't seem too bad.

Old 06-26-2014, 08:04 PM
170-3tree
Advanced
Old 06-26-2014, 08:16 PM
gar187er
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

big bore to what? its already a 1200......

also why wouldnt they sell the tuner to you? you can buy it on any harley website....

Old 06-26-2014, 08:27 PM
170-3tree
Advanced

1250 or 90ci eventually. As in pretty far down the line.

He claimed that it required a dyno. He'd sell it to me in the service department only. I don't feel like shelling out $900+ for the tuner, dyno time and every other little thing they do. (That's what they quoted me then said it might go higher if it's not a simpler tune) from the sounds of it, smart tune makes it pretty simple to do from data logs.

Old 06-26-2014, 10:32 PM
4nth8y
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 170-3tree
1250 or 90ci eventually. As in pretty far down the line.

He claimed that it required a dyno. He'd sell it to me in the service department only. I don't feel like shelling out $900+ for the tuner, dyno time and every other little thing they do. (That's what they quoted me then said it might go higher if it's not a simpler tune) from the sounds of it, smart tune makes it pretty simple to do from data logs.
Hey man,
I actually just had this done to my 2013 48. I've got drag pipes and an S&S intake. Basically I had Niterider XIED's, then V&H Fuelpak, then (300 bucks later) the only thing that made it run CORRECTLY was the S/E Supertuner. They dyno'd mine and altogether it came in at just under 500 bucks. The selling point for me was the service guy let me know that its a variable tuning system so if you were to upgrade/change/revert to stock you WOULD NOT need a re-dyno.

As far as tanks go, take a peek at Ebay, the Panic Cycles sportster frisco tank is kinda hardcore, get the tank, the EFI plate and have a guy weld/seal it for you?

Good luck with the bike and welcome to the forum!

Old 06-28-2014, 08:54 PM
170-3tree
Advanced

Hey all. A little update. My pipes should be here Monday. I'm still looking at my finances for an air cleaner, gotta cover the bills first. Got my sespt and was hoping to mess with the stock tune a little, but can't figure out how to get it off the bike. Afraid that I can't.

Anyways, should probably post that the exhaust I'm going with us the akro open line. I'll have to start some actual sharing system to show videos and pictures once I get it all arranged.

Quick Reply: build thread, slow going.