Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone had a BAD experience with high octane fuel???

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 11:48 PM
hitman1267
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got the same sound coming from my 2013 forty-eight. Ever since I changed the air cleaner and exhaust I've had that "metal ball" bouncing around in my engine. Many folks say its normal. I haven't noticed a decrease in performance.

Old 06-21-2014, 06:34 AM
06Sporty75
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've also got a cracking/pinging sound but only when the motor is really hot and only under hard acceleration, I've always wondered what it was, bike has always done this and seem to run fine otherwise.,, I didn't know this could be "Pinging". Sunocos here always have both 91 & 93 oct, so I'll run 93 from now on..

Old 06-21-2014, 06:38 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by hitman1267
I got the same sound coming from my 2013 forty-eight. Ever since I changed the air cleaner and exhaust I've had that "metal ball" bouncing around in my engine. Many folks say its normal. I haven't noticed a decrease in performance.
Changing to a free flowing A/C & exhaust provides more air flow but no more fuel flow, creating a leaner mixture. A leaner A/F ratio, especially in warmer weather, leads to detonation (pinging).

Old 06-21-2014, 06:40 AM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Higher octane fuel than recommended will cause no harm and no added performance. It's simply a waste of money. If you REALLY think it is a fuel problem, try different stations as it's not unusual to pay for one level of octane and receive something less, or worse - gas with water in it (condensation).

Old 06-21-2014, 07:13 AM
BluBeaSSt
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You all that run Avgas, Avgas will pit aluminum since it's meant to burn at higher elevations. At least that's what I've always heard.

Old 06-21-2014, 07:32 AM
Dusty Bones
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cHarley
Changing to a free flowing A/C & exhaust provides more air flow but no more fuel flow, creating a leaner mixture. A leaner A/F ratio, especially in warmer weather, leads to detonation (pinging).
Their 2013 48 is EFI. It will run perfect with a free flowing air cleaner and or exhaust. It is well known and documented the ECM will adjust when it sees the change.

http://www.nightrider.com/parts/ied_faq.htm

My guess is people are hearing normal sounds and flipping the eff out thinking something is wrong. If you are running known quality gas with the octane on the frame being run then the sounds you hear are normal. Change brand of gas if you have (real) problems.

Old 06-21-2014, 08:01 AM
LonestarXL
Road Captain
Received 287 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by Dusty Bones
Their 2013 48 is EFI. It will run perfect with a free flowing air cleaner and or exhaust. It is well known and documented the ECM will adjust when it sees the change.

http://www.nightrider.com/parts/ied_faq.htm

My guess is people are hearing normal sounds and flipping the eff out thinking something is wrong. If you are running known quality gas with the octane on the frame being run then the sounds you hear are normal. Change brand of gas if you have (real) problems.
I think you're wrong about adding exhaust and intake and the ECM adjusting to make it run perfect on its own, but that's a discussion for another thread. It won't, which is exactly why night rider makes xieds, etc to solve that problem.

I agree the sounds he's hearing could be normal, but, if the sound wasn't there before then suddenly starts up, that's something to investigate as it's not normal.

Old 06-21-2014, 09:15 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by LonestarXL
I think you're wrong about adding exhaust and intake and the ECM adjusting to make it run perfect on its own, but that's a discussion for another thread. It won't, which is exactly why night rider makes xieds, etc to solve that problem.

I agree the sounds he's hearing could be normal, but, if the sound wasn't there before then suddenly starts up, that's something to investigate as it's not normal.
+1 - It is impossible for the stock ECM to properly correct the fuel mixture after adding a high flow A/C and exhaust when it's still using Narrow Band o2 sensors. When the motor is operating outside of the narrow band's window, the ECM is using it's fixed (stock) table to control the mixture ratio, and that's too lean for the added airflow.

Dusty is wrong AGAIN.

Old 06-21-2014, 09:40 AM
Dusty Bones
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cHarley
+1 - It is impossible for the stock ECM to properly correct the fuel mixture after adding a high flow A/C and exhaust when it's still using Narrow Band o2 sensors. When the motor is operating outside of the narrow band's window, the ECM is using it's fixed (stock) table to control the mixture ratio, and that's too lean for the added airflow.

Dusty is wrong AGAIN.
Charles, it is not about who is right or wrong. It is about fact. Fact is the system does know when it is pushing more air and after a 30 minute ride (or a few rides for you around the blockers) it will be fully adjusted back to the lean settings straight from the factory. Your fluffer says thats why they make and sell the IED products. He is kinda right, but wrong in how he thinks they work. Full stock bikes will have a slightly richer AFR with the IEDs. After a bike adjusts to open pipes and air cleaner back to stock settings, the IED will bring the afr slightly up to the same it is on the stock bike.

You guys sound like the advertisments for tuners and thats what they want. Stop puking their marketing onto your keyboards and hitting send. They are trying to sell you a product and they have no obligation to tell you the truth to do it.

Maybe you need to read the references he sites. They prove the ECM adjusts back to stock. So take your who knows something or nothing and redirect it to those who did the leg work to prove it. For I am not the one saying it. i am just relaying the info.

Last edited by Dusty Bones; 06-21-2014 at 09:47 AM.
Old 06-21-2014, 02:47 PM
Zenmervolt
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Fact is the system does know when it is pushing more air and after a 30 minute ride (or a few rides for you around the blockers) it will be fully adjusted back to the lean settings straight from the factory.
While the system will adjust the closed-loop long-term fuel trim (like any other EFI system with a lambda loop), that only effects the the closed-loop operation. In situations where you're operating outside of closed-loop (e.g. warm-up, high load, large throttle openings, quick throttle openings that require the "accelerator pump" functionality, etc.) the system reverts to using standard maps that do not adjust.

Because the Delphi system is a MAP system and not a MAF system, it cannot directly measure the amount of airflow. Rather, it calculates the amount of airflow based on the manifold pressure and known values for restrictions. Any changes to the amount of restriction relative to the stock setup will cause the open-loop maps to drift away from accuracy.

Yes, the system can adjust just fine when it's in steady-state closed-loop operation, but open-loop operation will absolutely be slightly lean with a less restrictive air cleaner and exhaust unless the maps are altered.

Now, if the system were a MAF-based system, then yes, even the open-loop operation would self-adjust. But it's not MAF-based and MAP-based systems don't work like that.

Your fluffer says thats why they make and sell the IED products. He is kinda right, but wrong in how he thinks they work. Full stock bikes will have a slightly richer AFR with the IEDs. After a bike adjusts to open pipes and air cleaner back to stock settings, the IED will bring the afr slightly up to the same it is on the stock bike.
The IED line only affects closed-loop operation. It doesn't help the open-loop issue described above.

Quick Reply: anyone had a BAD experience with high octane fuel???