Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint ruined from Tire Shine

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 06:17 PM
gordonf238
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint ruined from Tire Shine

Ok, so the other day I've done something - admittedly - quite s*upid. After washing, cleaning and waxing my '08 Nightster, I applied some Tire Shine to my front tire. The kind I've used on my car for years without any issues. I let is sit for about half an hour, and then went off on a ride.

Well, shortly thereafter I began to notice odd stains.

It turns out, the Tire Shine splattered itself onto my air intake cover, and all over the bottom too. No biggie I thought, this stuff ought to come off. So I washed it off the wheel and swore never to use the rotten thing again.

Only the stains off my bike wouldn't come off.

I've used industrial strength degreases (top-reviewed on Amazon), no luck. I've used rubbing alcohol, I've used a pressure washer, all to no avail.

From what I can gather online, the tire shine reacts with mold on the tire, and can cause permanent staining of paint - something which cannot be removed and requires re-painting.

I guess a normal person would've expected a warning of sorts on the package, but that's a discussion best saved for another day.

I was hoping that someone here can recommend another remedy other than a paint job. For those of you unfamiliar with the Nightsters, the paint used is very matte (almost sandpaper-like in texture), so getting things off isn't as easy as polishing it off.

Old 06-16-2014, 06:27 PM
Dusty Bones
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You are lucky you did not go down. If you would have hit a curve any more aggressive it would have been like riding on an oil slick.

Oh and Im jealous. It took many miles and lots of riding to get my ride to look like that.

Old 06-16-2014, 06:57 PM
HedleyLamarr
Road Captain
Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

sorry bout your paint, but putting tire shine on motorcycle tires is f'ing retarded

Old 06-16-2014, 07:24 PM
dyna105
Road Master
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Not sure it will help. I would try some S100 engine spray. Worked for me when the damn cat pissed on my engine and stained the black finish. I also use 303 protectant spray on all the rubber and leather items....including the tires.

Old 06-16-2014, 07:53 PM
Mich
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I was going to say try the s100 spray as well.

Old 06-16-2014, 07:58 PM
SCJoe
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've never tried it on a textured surface like the engine, but a clay bar might worth a shot. I've used a clay bar to remove all kinds of deposits from paint that wouldn't come off with anything else.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:12 PM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 220 Likes on 192 Posts

So you put tire shine on your motorcycle tires!!!! Just what were you thinking?? Yes, you wanted them to shine!!! Did you do the treads also!!!! If you got that much spray from your tires, on the engine, you're damn lucky you were able to post this thread!!

Old 06-16-2014, 08:16 PM
HarleyScuba
Grand HDF Member
Received 125 Likes on 106 Posts

I'm thinkin' the engine's finish is powder coat, not paint. If it's been etched with an acid, I don't see much recovery for it. I would try a buffing wheel, not a Dremel but a fair size buffing wheel (unless you have the patience for a Dremel), with a very fine polishing compound. Although, the grainy texture might really mess with ya. It kinda looks pretty Effed, about to the point where you can't hurt it.
The S-100 Engine Brightener seems to work very well on the black motors, but not so much on the grey units.
Were the frame and pipes left un-harmed?

Last edited by HarleyScuba; 06-16-2014 at 08:18 PM. Reason: nunya
Old 06-16-2014, 08:29 PM
magneeto
Intermediate

Looks like you need to get them powder coated. Wow that looks bad. I honestly don't think that will come out. You are damn lucky that your bike is F'd not u. Tire shine on motorcycle tires!!! And looks like it wasn't used to sparingly.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:39 PM
Thor183
Advanced

Yes that sucks! That will not come off, so prepare to repaint (black preferably) and you can replace that air cleaner cover with many options.

Quick Reply: Paint ruined from Tire Shine