Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike Backed Over By Drunkard

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 09:43 AM
AmericanNightmare
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bike Backed Over By Drunkard

My town throws a day long festival called "Old Port Fest" annually, and this year they decided to make it THREE DAYS LONG... wherein everyone starts drinking at 9 am and goes til 1 am, while the city blocks off a couple of major streets and sets up stages for bands to perform, street vendors, food carts/trucks, etc.

Long story short, I was working a security gig and someone backed over my bike, hitting it into another bike, and then getting it stuck in his bumper he pulled it over to the other side after peeling out (and off, yes it was considered a hit and run).

My Insurance is awesome and I am fully covered (whether or not the lazy *** cops in my town catch up with the hit and run suspect) but the adjuster totally low balled me on the quote.

My question to you fellow forum participants is this: When your bike is damaged, is it unreasonable to expect they replace every aspect of the damaged part? For example the bike slammed over on to both sides, with my forward controls bearing most of that weight, so if the control arms are bent it is safe to say that you would replace the entire forward controls (from the frame out, all moving parts, etc) as oppossed to JUST the arms, because I feel that if it bent in one place it is very plausible to say that the other moving parts are no longer in line to where they originally where and thus being damaged, entirely, yes?

Adjuster just wants to replace this Lever, or that rubber, or this button, or this case cover, etc. whereas I am saying No way, this **** ALL needs to be replaced...

Anyways, I am waiting to hear back from the local HD shop for their full write up of what needs to be replaced, vs what the insurance thinks need to be replaced -- so I might be frustrated for no reason, because HD might already be on the same page as me. Anyone have experience with this?

Old 06-16-2014, 10:32 AM
hdbob2006
Stellar HDF Member
Received 425 Likes on 302 Posts

Since a shop is doing the work,some of the repairs will be left to their discretion. Just tell the shop you want it RIGHT when you pick it up. Some of these parts my not be available alone,or it may save labor just by replacing the whole unit.
I can't see how just a arm could be damaged,but nothing else around it or connected to it is damaged? Wait 'till the shop sees the adjuster,and ask how they feel about the estimate.

Old 06-16-2014, 11:34 AM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

i would say that the adjuster just gave you an initial repair quote and that once the repair shop has it they may find more hidden damage (such as the arms that are connected to the bent parts)...I would be inclined to wait to hear from the repair shop for their take on it...

Old 06-16-2014, 12:33 PM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by AmericanNightmare
My Insurance is awesome and I am fully covered but the adjuster totally low balled me on the quote.
Well then your insurance company isn't really so awesome, are they?

Aside from that, just let HD provide them with the repair quote, they have to pay that. And HD won't take any shortcuts. They'll make you "whole" again with no concerns for what the insurance company has to pay out.

Best wishes with your repairs.

Old 06-16-2014, 01:33 PM
AmericanNightmare
Advanced

Thanks for the morale support, guys. This has been the worst weekend, ever!

Old 06-17-2014, 12:31 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,224 Likes on 2,458 Posts

Originally Posted by PanHeadRich
Well then your insurance company isn't really so awesome, are they?

Aside from that, just let HD provide them with the repair quote, they have to pay that. And HD won't take any shortcuts. They'll make you "whole" again with no concerns for what the insurance company has to pay out.

Best wishes with your repairs.

I can understand how that will ruin a weekend, or a week, or a month.

But let the dealer know you want it back how it was, AND a complete check for frame damage. They will work up a top dollar quote and the insurance company will not have any choice but to pay it.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 06-17-2014, 12:42 AM
4nth8y
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AmericanNightmare
Thanks for the morale support, guys. This has been the worst weekend, ever!
Sucks about your bike but thankfully you -weren't on the bike (so you're not hurt/killed) -didn't see the guy (so you didn't hurt/kill!).

Old 06-17-2014, 12:43 AM
Firewoman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

I second that check for frame damage.

I hope they catch the moron who ran over your bike.

Old 06-17-2014, 02:11 AM
Nickatnyt
Road Warrior
Received 123 Likes on 83 Posts

Dealer will be on your side cuz they want as much of that insurance moolah as possible.

Old 06-17-2014, 03:35 AM
HawkIron
Cruiser

I second or is that third the frame check. Like has been said this will be a good source of income for HD so they wont scrimp on it. Im glad youre safe though dude. Bikes can be repaired/replaced. You cant lol

Quick Reply: Bike Backed Over By Drunkard