Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lifes dream going south fast!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 10:10 PM
molsenice
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lifes dream going south fast!

Not that I want to ramble but bear with me. Last year, my wife bought me a brand new 1200C - crome and Blk - NICE! I took delivery the last week of July - again, last year. After a couple of weeks, I had gone through three sets of plugs - they told me not to use the choke - I told them I never touch it, yet they looked like I had dipped them in chocolate frosting. I also mentioned the battery had died and there is a really nasty coughing with a flame shooting out the front of the carb. Well to make a very long story short, I have paid them to put on the stage 1 Screamin Eagle stuff since they told me @ the dealership the bikes are notoriously lean and that is whats causing the bike to cough and spit. Well the coughing never really went away and after 600 miles I stored it for the season. Then this season, I get the bike out and have yet to have it running for three continuous weeks. So far, the bike has gone in for a charging situation multiple times, eaten several sets of every make of plug - (NGK, champion, Autolight ect.), a running one one cylynder situation - bad crank sensor and the latest situation is the bike stranded me 40 miles from home on a Sunday of Labor day weeken @9pm - Tank God for HOG - they sent a tow truck, got home @1:30am. Apparently there is something wrong with the charging system since a fully charged battery gives me a reading of 12 volts and when I fire it up I have 11.7 - oops - should be somewhere around 13.5 - then to make matter worse, I go to put the "running but dieing" bike in the garage and it pukes out the drive belt. - life is getting frustrating to say the least.

Old 09-06-2005, 10:31 PM
Ragin_Republican
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Lifes dream going south fast!

Sounds like you got a real lemon. Is the bike yellow? Honostly though, I would take issue with the dealer if it is still under warrenty. Make em give you another. With all the trouble you've had with that bike since you got it, I'd be madder than a gay guy with lock jaw on valentines day!!
My brother in law had the same problem with a 2000 Road King. One problem after another. The dealership finally bought back the bike from him and gave him a huge discount off a brand new 05 Road King. He has had no problem with it. Just like cars, bikes can have some bad Karma too. Hope this experience doesnt sour you to the whole Harley family. Sometimes you just get a bad apple in the bunch.

Old 09-06-2005, 11:25 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,270 Likes on 1,976 Posts

I agree with what Ragin said. If the dealers can't fix your bike, tell them that you want a replacement and see what they do. All that you can do is try, maybe they will surprise you and make it right. It's worth a chance, isn't it? Good luck

Old 09-06-2005, 11:50 PM
vette5050
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Geez Mole.........you need to get on your Dealer NOW. Even if you don't have any warranty left, they should be able to solve those problems. If they can't you need a new Dealer, and or call the MOCO for some help!

Good Luck

Old 09-07-2005, 12:09 AM
CntryFun
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the plug was that dark there is NO WAY it is running lean. Especially since you never have to choke it. The rest of the problems I don't know about, but you didn't mention anything that sounds like a good dealer shouldn't be able to fix it. Tell them you want a new ASAP or you're going elsewhere w/ ALL your business. But if they will make it RIGHT that you'll stick around and support them. Allot of dealers just see $$$ so if they don't have something to gain, they don't see a reason to help ya. I'd talk to them tomorrow and feel free to drop a hint that thousands of people are anxiously listening to see how you're treated.

Old 09-07-2005, 11:12 AM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Agreed!

We'll spread the word loud and high from mountaintops on how your dealer takes care of this.

This is an "opportunity" for them to earn some real respect and make it right, or be known in their community for this situation. It really probably isn't the dealer's fault, but they are the ones that have the resources through H-D to resolve it. It's a sporty with gremlins.. Have them replace it, since an exorcism isn't working to remove it's demons.

We could even have a forum for Dealers that did good and Dealers that did not-so-good? "Dealer rant or praise" maybe.

Old 09-07-2005, 06:01 PM
Crossbones
Road Master

hey there mol,
sorry to hear about all your problems and like other have said you need to get on the dealer asap. if you don't get anywhere with them call HD and they should get things done. good luck and let us know how it all turns out. just to get some good karma going for ya, send us some pics of your NEW bike!

Old 09-07-2005, 06:46 PM
12Stones
Seasoned HDF Member

Call the MOCO. If the dealer's already not willing to help after this much trouble then they're probably not going to fall over themselves to try and get you a new bike. Call the MOCO explain what's been going on, the runaround the dealer's giving you, and see what your options are. Bike sounds like it's still under warranty so you should have no problems with the MOCO (hopefully). CALL THE MOCO!!!

Old 09-08-2005, 09:49 AM
molsenice
Ultimate HDF Member

glad to know I'm not going NUTS. I think I'll Attach this thread to an E-mail to the service Manager @ McDermmots in FortAnn, NY - "Butch" - He had the Bike all day yesterday and knew the situation I have been dealing with - he never even go a chance to look at the bike.

Old 09-08-2005, 10:49 AM
RKJ
Novice

ORIGINAL: molsenice

glad to know I'm not going NUTS. I think I'll Attach this thread to an E-mail to the service Manager @ McDermmots in FortAnn, NY - "Butch" - He had the Bike all day yesterday and knew the situation I have been dealing with - he never even go a chance to look at the bike.
Send a copy of this thread with an email to the MOCO, then send your dealer a copy you sent to them. I would do as 12stones suggested. I would call H/D and Keep going up the chain until I got someone who had some power. I would also be talking to the owner of that dealership and tell him/her about the way you are getting jerked around by his service department. Definitely mention Butch by name.

Quick Reply: Lifes dream going south fast!