Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lifes dream going south fast!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 11:41 AM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Lifes dream going south fast!

ORIGINAL: RKJ

ORIGINAL: molsenice

glad to know I'm not going NUTS. I think I'll Attach this thread to an E-mail to the service Manager @ McDermmots in FortAnn, NY - "Butch" - He had the Bike all day yesterday and knew the situation I have been dealing with - he never even go a chance to look at the bike.
Send a copy of this thread with an email to the MOCO, then send your dealer a copy you sent to them. I would do as 12stones suggested. I would call H/D and Keep going up the chain until I got someone who had some power. I would also be talking to the owner of that dealership and tell him/her about the way you are getting jerked around by his service department. Definitely mention Butch by name.
And also if this goes to the motor company.. They should know I said it here..

"Stories like this is the way companies like Victory/Polaris grab some advantage in the market..
The Vegas and Kingpin bikes look quite refreshing and attractive and I can still feel patriotic buying American."

If the tables were turned, I would be saying the same thing to Victory..
I lemon is a lemon..
Make it right (containment), then find out why it happened and prevent it (root cause analysis and corrective/preventive actions).

Old 09-08-2005, 01:50 PM
12Stones
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Make it right (containment), then find out why it happened and prevent it (root cause analysis and corrective/preventive actions).
Sounds like someone's in manufacturing...

Old 09-08-2005, 07:37 PM
molsenice
Ultimate HDF Member

Got on Butches case this morning, second day of school here in upstate N.Y. and my daughter is getting upset not comming to Dadddy's school on the Harley. She just began 6th grade. Well Butch got the bike in today and told me the belt broke because of a stone and it was not warrentied, to which I replied stone? who cares? after 2k miles and all the problems I've had along with getting stranded, I'm not eating the cost of a belt. He said he would try to send it in as a warranty but I may end up having to pay for it latter. I had mentioned, that the battery had gone flat (dead) at least 9xs - I didn't trust it and wanted that changed - no go. Also the rear crome gaurd broke a clamp, I had to spot weld the clamp back onto the guard do to the rediculous rattle it caused, which left a burn in the crome - to which I was told it would get changed, it did not. The voltage problem turned out to be the regulator - so I was informed, picked up the bike just before closing today - let's see how long I can go this time. Oh yeah, I was asked if I had noticed an oil consumption problem, (no) - this last ride was my first over 30 miles. Apparently Butch wants me to drive 1000 miles and bring the bike back - he seems to think there is a new problem. We'll see - will keep you all posted, thank's to all for the feed back, will try to post a picture of her. All in all, I am supprise with myself that I haven't gone off on a temper tantrum, But the folks at the dealership do seam to be trying and they are friendly enough - I like them so I guess I'm going to keep trying to work with them for now. But the next time this breaks down, is my last.

Old 09-08-2005, 11:03 PM
Anniesage
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I sure as heck wouldn't be riding much more until she gets fixed. What worked for me once, -not for a HD but for a car - was I made copies of every single invoice/service bill that I had, along with every piece of correspondence-had a cover letter stating why I was sending this' 'package', itemizing every service call by date, and what I wanted to have the problem fix (always within reasons) - I sent that to the dealers service manager, the dealer location manager, the dealer owner, to corporate consumer affairs , the corporate legal department, to the CEO of the company and then my state's attorney general's office (our state has a really good lemon law)- and of course I made note on my cover letter who all was receiving this package. Gosh darn, if something didn't finally happen and the problem was resolved.

But I think they keep spinning tall tales and are not owning up to their responsibility. But then again, why should they - they are not making the monthly payments nor paying the repair bills. They will have you coming back more and more, and each time it will be something just a little different that wont be covered by warranty.

Keep at it!

Old 09-13-2005, 11:22 AM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: 12Stones

Sounds like someone's in manufacturing...
Yep.. Quality Engineer by trade.. hehehe. And I'm riding a Harley!!!??? Go figure.

Old 09-13-2005, 11:26 AM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Anniesage

...to the dealers service manager, the dealer location manager, the dealer owner, to corporate consumer affairs , the corporate legal department, to the CEO of the company and then my state's attorney general's office (our state has a really good lemon law)- and of course I made note on my cover letter who all was receiving this package.
Now that's the way to be the sqeaky wheel! Way to go! [sm=shades.gif]

Old 09-26-2005, 08:34 AM
molsenice
Ultimate HDF Member

Latest thing now, two weeks out of the shop and less than a tank of gas has me with no oil - Dealer tells me they recievd a notice from the company that some 1200 valve guides are wearring prematurely and they will replace these - looking at 2 weeks.

Old 09-26-2005, 07:17 PM
ejdennis
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is no doubt that I would go above the local dealer and contact H-D Factory customer service. Someone else may be able to tell you more, but nearly every franchise corporation frowns upon local franchises that hurt their business or reputation. Good Luck.

Old 09-26-2005, 11:16 PM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

be sure to pak a big gun, just in case they try to weasle out of helping you. good luck with your problem keep us up to date if you wouuld!!

Old 09-27-2005, 10:06 AM
molsenice
Ultimate HDF Member

posted a second topic on my situation to "fish" for information. "05 1200c what else should I expect" - have recieve some further things to look into and have forwarded it onto the dealership. They were closed Sunday and Monday, so I probobly will not here from them till latter today, if they even check their E-mail. As I have mentioned, McDermott's Harley, Fort Ann, NY - Good people who do genuinly seam to be triing to help, my nagging feeling - Why wasn't I notified of internal memo's metioning my specific problems earlier? I had to either experiance the problem, or go research it myself - which I did because I was pissed.

Quick Reply: Lifes dream going south fast!