Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XL 1200C ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 07:42 PM
FishinTexas
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XL 1200C ?

Like to get yalls opinions. I've been searching the H-D site for about 3 weeks now just getting a feel for I might want. I do know I dont want a 750 pound bagger with no nads. I want something like a flat track bike, like the old XR750 of the 70s. I want something light, nimble, handles good and has plenty of power. And it has to be cheap. I havent actually been to the dealership yet. Fear of using credit and buying it that day thing. Im compulsive. Any thoughts yea or nay on the bike or things I should look for, or Im I totally off base? Im also worried the bike might be sorta cramped for me being 6'2" 215 pounds.

Of course, the price of the 883s are attractive and I can get aboard sooner, but they probably wont cut it for my size huh? From what I've read here, I would probably bore with the power soon.

Thanks in advance for yalls help.

Old 09-06-2005, 08:25 PM
Nav
Cruiser
Default RE: XL 1200C ?

Your physical size would be okay on a 1200C (forward footcontrols)but the riding expectations would be better served by a roadster ( midset controls, greater lean angle and fatter front tire). I suspect the 883 may fall a little short in the power department for your needs. A lot of people here will tell you you'll need the stage I mod with pipes to get any kind of power out of a Haerley. That's about another $500 on top of the cost of the bike. It sounds like budget is an issue, but you might be happier on something in the Dyna line. With the 2006 bikes now out there should be some used bikes to choose from if that ight help. I love my 1200C. Just had the 5,000 mile service completed today. (5,675 miles on it) I carefully considered my size (5'9") and the type of riding I would be doing when I chose my Harley. Harley's have decent power, but fall way short of the metric four cylinders in horsepower. The handling is good, but not cut and thrust sporty. As far as light weight, the new Sportsters are almost 600 pounds with a full tank of gas and a few accessories. These are just some simple thoughts so you can be sure a Harley will fulfill the riding style you are describing.

Old 09-06-2005, 09:20 PM
FishinTexas
Advanced

Nav. Thanks for your reply. I see what your saying about the Roadster and how it can handle better. Like, the bike has a pivot point. Hard to explain I guess. Im an old Moto Crosser and Flat tracker and want a bike that can get me out of trouble pretty quick. I would defintly like to have my knees against the tank. I steer that way. LOL

As far as adding power, I would probably leave the bike stock at first, at least untill I get more experiance on the road. BUT, hopping it up would be in my plans. Im a tinkerer and it would be hard to keep me from turning a wrench or two.

Metric bikes are not an option for me. Unless its H-D, I might go for an old Bonneville or BSA, but no metric. A YZ450F for dirt, yes, but, Its gotta be H-D.

Thanks for your help. Youve helped alot allready in making my mind up.

ORIGINAL: Nav

Your physical size would be okay on a 1200C (forward footcontrols)but the riding expectations would be better served by a roadster ( midset controls, greater lean angle and fatter front tire). I suspect the 883 may fall a little short in the power department for your needs. A lot of people here will tell you you'll need the stage I mod with pipes to get any kind of power out of a Haerley. That's about another $500 on top of the cost of the bike. It sounds like budget is an issue, but you might be happier on something in the Dyna line. With the 2006 bikes now out there should be some used bikes to choose from if that ight help. I love my 1200C. Just had the 5,000 mile service completed today. (5,675 miles on it) I carefully considered my size (5'9") and the type of riding I would be doing when I chose my Harley. Harley's have decent power, but fall way short of the metric four cylinders in horsepower. The handling is good, but not cut and thrust sporty. As far as light weight, the new Sportsters are almost 600 pounds with a full tank of gas and a few accessories. These are just some simple thoughts so you can be sure a Harley will fulfill the riding style you are describing.

Old 09-06-2005, 10:08 PM
JBBOOKS
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

1200 C is a sweet ride. The 1200 Roadster sounds like more of what you are looking for. Definitely get on a bunch of them to see what fits. Don't sell the baggers short. I have one and it's a sweet ride. I also have the 1200 C and it's very nice as well.

Old 09-06-2005, 10:25 PM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

FishinTexas,

Although I suspect I'm older by a few to several years than you, I too came from a racing start with bikes - first in scrambles and then I added flat track. I rode and raced the Triumphs, BSAs, Maicos, and Bultacos of the '60's and '70's. From there I went to the Japanese bikes on the road (Honda and Yamaha) because of reliability and speed. When I decided to go Harley (the XLCH Sportster was always in the back of my mind since 1962) I was looking to recapture the old Triumph and BSA style of riding, and after much consideration bought the 2005 XL1200 Roadster. I couldn't be happier!

The Custom is a very nice machine but I wanted the larger front tire for bite, the extra ground clearance, and the riding posture and geometry that the Roadster provides. There's plenty of kick and it loves the twisties with no scraping like the Asian bikes gave me! I know where you're coming from and if there's a Harley in your future you'd do well to look hard at the XL1200R.

Good luck with whatever your choice - any way you look at it, you can't lose!

Thumper26

Old 09-07-2005, 12:06 AM
vette5050
Advanced

Texas........I'm with Thumper on this one. I also bought a 1200 Roadster in May. Mine is putting out 82 horse and is pretty darn quick. I am also a "retired" 60's-70's Flattracker, so I wanted exactly what you are after. The Roadster is it! I also upgraded to Works Performance shocks and fork springs and it really helped the handling and ride. Brakes are pretty decent as well and I can burn the rear tire pretty much at will! I love to get a little wet spot and light it up through 1st and 2nd. It will also yank the front wheel in 2nd. No major wheelie because of the weight, but it will pull it. As for the twisties, yep, it's pretty decent there too. Mine redlines at 7K and with the torque, I really believe MOST riders on 600 Ricers would have trouble keeping up.

I hope you can swing it..... as I don't think you'd be disappointed. I've also cruised it on the highway and it's real nice at about 74 where it smoothes right out. I usually ride with my feet on the rear pegs. That's where they feel "right".....at least to this old Dirttracker.

Good Luck
Bruce
5P

[IMG]local://upfiles/3693/FDEC57F9D55D494F902DD96325FC7BD5.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-07-2005, 07:27 PM
FishinTexas
Advanced

Thumper and vette. I think yall get me pegged. Thank you so much for yalls help. I was hoping there would be some old school riders that knew what I was looking for. Well, itll be the XL1200R unless I go bagger like the Road King. If I had the cash, I'd do both. LOL

As far as my racing days, it was mostly Minis. I didnt get into the bigger bikes untill 74 with the YZ. But I wore out a hot shoe once.

My Dad was the Harley, BSA guy. I loved that BSA 500 popper.

Thanks.

Old 09-07-2005, 11:07 PM
FishinTexas
Advanced

I thought this might be interesting.

http://www.mertlawwill.com/street_tracker.htm

Old 09-12-2005, 05:56 PM
Uncle Fester
Tourer

I ride a '99 XLC 1200, and even those who've given me crap for riding a "girl bike" have to admit it's a clean-looking machine. Adding some fat saddlebags and a windshield give it a great cruiser look, IMHO.

Old 09-13-2005, 04:17 PM
burnie
Tourer

1200 would be great, or the Vrods, or even a Buell.

Quick Reply: XL 1200C ?