Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Wobble Video

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 06:11 AM
Wi_Duker
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clutch Wobble Video

Found out where all my low end torque was going. Barnett extra plate clutch is burned out. Let me recap the last 2 weeks

2 weeks ago. My clutch pretty much exploded. The pressure plate land ring was destroyed the clutch basket got chewed up

So I bought a new pressure plate and clutch basket. Got the sealed rotor unit from Vtaiwan. Anyways I noticed that the clutch wobbled people said that some wobble happens.
So yesterday I am at a stop light and I notice the clutch is slipping. Here is why.

So I put the old clutch pack in with the heavy duty spring I got for the above clutch kit and while I had the pack out I made a video of the clutch wobble issue.

Last edited by Wi_Duker; 06-08-2014 at 06:25 AM.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:06 AM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,338 Posts

I think I've read that some wobble is normal. I believe it's designed to lock up to the inner hub when clutch is engaged. Do you think the wobble had to do with the clutch plate problem? Obviously, they did not look like that until after the new basket? You do have the correct number of plates and checked the stack height?

So sorry to read about all these problems you've encountered. Hopefully one of the real experts can provide some further insight as to what's happening.

John

Old 06-08-2014, 09:58 AM
Wi_Duker
Tourer

Correct number of plates. The Barnett stack measures 1.598 which is at the high end of specs. I think the clutch pack from Barnett was the source of my recent clutch issues. From the beginning it would make a screeching noise on take off. I called Barnett and they said that was normal and would go away. The clutch pull was really hard. I thought this was due to the 25% heavy duty spring. Now I believe it was becuase the Clutch pack was too close to high limit.

I've contacted Barnett and am waiting for an answer from them. For right now I am using the original clutch pack with spring plate and the Heavy Duty spring. Night and day difference. Easier, still locks up fine return of torque

Last edited by Wi_Duker; 06-08-2014 at 10:20 AM.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:53 PM
Wi_Duker
Tourer

Talked to Chance over at Barnett. He told me My bike is too powerful for their extra plate clutch pack and that maybe why it burnt up. He also stated that having a thick clutch pack is a good thing.

He also said maybe my clutch spring wasnt heavy enough.

Think I will stay with the stock clutch and just use the HD spring from barnett. Shifts nicer, handle pull is nicer finding neutral is nicer and i dont think I have to worry about it being so thick it pulls the land rings out of the pressure plate

Chance at Barnett told me also that soaking your plates in oil is a wives tale and is not neccessary

Old 06-10-2014, 09:21 PM
Ployd4
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why is your bike to powerful for their clutch? Have you modded it? I heard a few people say they like the energy one clutch.

Old 06-10-2014, 10:23 PM
Wi_Duker
Tourer

Originally Posted by Ployd4
Why is your bike to powerful for their clutch? Have you modded it? I heard a few people say they like the energy one clutch.
Energy one is not an option for a 4 speed. It is either this or the scorpion clutch