Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Absolutely unsure and confused on next ride

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 06:27 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Absolutely unsure and confused on next ride

I know I'm posting in the Sportster forum and that will taint many opinions but at this point I'm really looking for lots of feedback from people who have ridden many different bikes.

As most here know my new 2014 48 got crushed a couple of weeks back. The trucker's insurance has picked up the tab for the full amount.

I can simply replace the 48, and still have enough left over to replace both exhaust and air intake (plus I still have the Danny Gray Seat and DK Custom foot pegs that I had just put on).

I really liked the bike, the platform, the agility and frankly it was just darn fun to ride. I guess they call them "Sportsters" for a reason. It was a rush to ride it.

Still, I had to look around, and today I got to try out the Dyna Street Bob for an extended 12 mile ride. The dealer is giving me a good deal on it, but it would still be a stretch in that the insurance money would cover practically everything but I'd have to pull some money for down pmt (which of course I already did on the last bike so I'd be double dipping a bit).

The Street Bob was smooth and incredibly comfortable, the kind of bike that I feel like I could look around and enjoy the scenery with as opposed to the hold on tight rush feeling of the 48. Of course the Dyna has the bigger motor which probably doesn't matter that much to me since I won't be touring and interstate time will be extremely limited. I liked the weight in that it was heavier than the 48 but not like a softail. It seemed to handle quite well albeit not as "sporty". The smoothness is what really got me, maybe like going from a Tercel to a Mercedes.

My style of riding (at least right now), is short jaunts in my rural area. An hour in each direction every now and again and whenever I can fit it in. I'd love to think that every now and again I might be able to ride for an entire day but it won't be often given work and family. Hopefully in the future I'll be able to ride more, but like most on this forum I don't buy into the idea that the sportster is not suited for longer rides (other than the crazy 2.1 gal tank). I like the looks of both bikes, the SB looks more like an adult bike and the 48 has that cool racy look.

I'm completely torn, and while I know that most will say "go with what you feel best on" or something like that I really can't say which I feel best on. So instead I'm simply asking what would you do?

Old 06-06-2014, 06:41 PM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 220 Likes on 192 Posts

I read about your accident. If you were happy with the Sporty, why change? But, IMHO the Dynas have more to offer.

Old 06-06-2014, 06:45 PM
Von_Zipper
Road Warrior
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

I have never felt on my Sporty cruising at low speed is fun, the fun starts when you rev it and when you push it. If cruising at 55 is what you enjoy Sporty may not be for you.

Old 06-06-2014, 06:45 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I always, for bikes & cars, go with the bigger, more torque, smoother model. A Sportster for a daily driver is like a Miata, a Dyna more like a Mustang 'vert.

One is more comfortable, "practical" and has longer range. Either one goes through a turn fast (enough). A Sporty just beats you up.

Sure there will be guys posting how they tour on a Sporty, etc. etc. Its ridiculous when there are far better options.

Old 06-06-2014, 07:29 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Von_Zipper
I have never felt on my Sporty cruising at low speed is fun, the fun starts when you rev it and when you push it. If cruising at 55 is what you enjoy Sporty may not be for you.
Well that's a good point, I rarely go beyond 60 unless on the highway. But part of me thought that was a good reason for a Sporty since it was a smaller engine, more vibration, etc.

Do any of you buy into the concept that after a year of riding (and enjoying it) that I'll want more power?

Old 06-06-2014, 07:47 PM
Von_Zipper
Road Warrior
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

I have all the power I want, my Sporty beats practically anything on four wheels, a new Corvette catches up with me at 115-120 MPH when driven flat out, under 100 MPH I rule. How many Harleys can do that?

Old 06-06-2014, 07:52 PM
porschedog
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I am thrilled silly with my Street Bob. Go for it.

Old 06-06-2014, 07:57 PM
elfnyc
Road Warrior
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

thats a question only u can decide !!!

i never wanted a harley ---- but i always wanted a sportster !!

Old 06-06-2014, 08:12 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,162 Likes on 2,425 Posts

I currently have a Touring bike, Sporty, & Softail. I have owned a Dyna in the past.

To me the Dyna is just a bigger Sportster...or the Sportster is just a smaller Dyna.

One of the biggest reasons the Dyna is smoother is the suspension. You can change the seat and rear shocks on the Sporty for far less than the extra expense of the Dyna. However, the engine on the Dyna is smoother also...less vibes.

Most people that have had a Sportster in the past, and now have a larger bike, will tell you they wished they never got rid of their Sporty...it is a fun bike.

For me, I will choose a Sporty over a Dyna...it is more agile, and more fun. If I want to cruise, the Softail is a much more laid back and comfortable ride than either the Dyna or the Sporty.

For me, the Sporty is an adrenaline rush...it begs to be ridden hard.

But opinions are just that, an individuals opinion. Devin, the "D" in DK has a Dyna, and would choose a Dyna everytime over a Sporty.

You gotta ride em and go with what you want. For the type of cruising you describe, it seems you would be more comfortable on a Softail. Have you given one of them a test ride?

I probably have not helped you...lol

The one sure thing, ride all the bikes that you can afford, hopefully for a bit more than 12 miles each. Then get the one that speaks to you. You will know.

Old 06-06-2014, 08:29 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Von_Zipper
I have all the power I want, my Sporty beats practically anything on four wheels, a new Corvette catches up with me at 115-120 MPH when driven flat out, under 100 MPH I rule. How many Harleys can do that?
Haha you haven't race a lot of 4 wheels but the Sporty is quick, but I doubt it runs 11s? A lot of cars would kill you from a 60mph roll.

But you get beat up and have small tank while having a ball.

Quick Reply: Absolutely unsure and confused on next ride