Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dead batt

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 11:10 PM
Sliver1
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dead batt

Hey all I got a new battery for my 48 back in November. I ride it every day and have never put it on a tender. I went to go to work this AM and nothin! Tried to jump it and it turned over once. Called the stealer and the battery is still under warrenty but was wondering, what is the typical life span of a battery? No, I didn't leave the bike on in any fashion, checked all the connections and everything was clean and tight. Any input would be appreciated.

Old 05-21-2014, 02:17 AM
knights
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you checked your fuses?

Old 05-21-2014, 03:27 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

In my experience batteries have lasted anything between 6 months and over a decade. It is possible you have a charging problem, not keeping the battery charged, for which we have a couple of Stickies in the Tech Electrical section - you will need a multimeter. However there is also the infamous connection on the least accessible end of your main battery ground lead, so check that is clean and tight first.

Old 05-21-2014, 10:37 PM
Sliver1
Cruiser

Originally Posted by knights
you checked your fuses?
checked em, engine turns over 1/2 and the clicking begins.

Old 05-21-2014, 10:38 PM
Sliver1
Cruiser

Originally Posted by grbrown
In my experience batteries have lasted anything between 6 months and over a decade. It is possible you have a charging problem, not keeping the battery charged, for which we have a couple of Stickies in the Tech Electrical section - you will need a multimeter. However there is also the infamous connection on the least accessible end of your main battery ground lead, so check that is clean and tight first.
Ok cool thanks. Took it in to the dealer and they're checking the cells. Under warranty so that's a good thing!!!

Old 05-22-2014, 06:13 AM
awilson40
Road Warrior

Received 1,495 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by Sliver1
checked em, engine turns over 1/2 and the clicking begins.
Mine did the exact same thing last week. Battery is 8mo old, usually kept on a tender but because I was riding everyday I didnt bother with it. I only ride 6 mile to work so I thought that it was just not fully recharging. After putting it on the tender, it was fine. BatteryMart wants me to send the battery back for testing and if its OK they will send it back. Heck with that. I plan on pulling the battery this weekend and take it in for load testing before I go that route.
After the shop checks your bike out I would highly recommend you keep it on a tender if you can. Its the best $$ spent for peace of mind.

Old 05-22-2014, 07:19 AM
edb542
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Picked up a 2013 Sportster last September. Kept it on Battery Tender all times when not used. This Spring I had it out and left the key in on position for a few minutes and wiped out the battery. Bike started right up with a push start but battery was gone. Swapped the battery for a brand new one and everything works perfect. Put the old battery on a different charger and had it sit for about 2 weeks. When I put it on a load tester it fails. Should I take the old battery to the dealer for a warranty claim or just toss it?

Old 05-22-2014, 08:46 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Sliver1
Hey all I got a new battery for my 48 back in November. I ride it every day and have never put it on a tender. I went to go to work this AM and nothin! Tried to jump it and it turned over once. Called the stealer and the battery is still under warrenty but was wondering, what is the typical life span of a battery? No, I didn't leave the bike on in any fashion, checked all the connections and everything was clean and tight. Any input would be appreciated.
For how long and far do you ride it everyday?
For each time the bike is started, the charging system needs ~20 minutes at cruise speed to replace what was drawn from the battery during start-up. If you're doing a lot of stop & go local riding, the battery should probably be kept on a tender.

Old 05-22-2014, 12:56 PM
cvaria
Supporter
Received 2,199 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Get a tender jr. I had oddball issues a few months ago. The tender fixed all that.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...427872&alt=web

Old 05-22-2014, 11:02 PM
Sliver1
Cruiser

Thanks everyone. Stealer said it was a bad cell in the battery. Got a new one free of charge.... Should be for what they charged!! Best part is the the warranty renewed today so the clock began again.. One good thing from getting a battery from dealer!!

Quick Reply: Dead batt