Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's up with all this "Sporty" talk???

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 11:33 PM
Northern Glide
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,917 Likes on 2,815 Posts

Originally Posted by Willymon
I've only been here a year (or so).

I came here humbled..because I was just getting back into it, after riding my entire childhood on the back of one.

Grew up and always something in the way, (obligations) before I could do it for my self. Finally did..**** I call it a "scooter"..and all of the sudden Sporty is bad?

I'm actually losing faith in this place..couple trolls show up that just smears it, ya know? (ok I'll say it..WHOSE THIS DRAINPLUG PHUCKER?) sorry. I already know who the stables around here are. The people you can count on just being what it is...good advice, etc.

I frequent places that your Grandmother isn't safe. I come here for camaraderie..sharing the same experience.

No, I don't need a *****'in hug. I just expect more from this place, that's all.
Stick around....I've learned more about Harleys here than any other place. I wasn't lucky enough to know any real old-timers.
Does it get rough-and-tumble? Yes - but that's all part of the variety and at the end of the day....we can't take it too seriously. Enjoy!

Old 05-09-2014, 11:41 PM
grancuda
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

They were referred to a XL's.
Flat track racing they dominated & just prior to the CB750 being released, they were thr dominate bike.

Old 05-10-2014, 02:10 AM
BootheatsBUGS
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love my sporty. If it makes you mad that I call it that, good. If you're worried about **** like this your life must be pretty boring.

Sorry I fed the troll.

Old 05-10-2014, 03:11 AM
lpd1snipe
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Sporty"

When I started riding them they were called "Dirt Bikes" as that's my Dad, Uncle and the Ex WWII and Korea crowd they hung with called them when I was growing up. They were riding Flatties, Knucks and Pans with a WL and K or two in the mix. I started on a 60' XL then a 68' XLCH, then 75' XLCH, both an early and a late 79' XLCH (last year of kicker with 141 made), then 2005 XL1200 (didn't like the rubber mount and sold it) and now a 02' XL883. I still call em' "Dirt Bikes" and I love em" cause they're FUN!!

Old 05-10-2014, 06:13 AM
awilson40
Road Warrior
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 1,504 Likes on 552 Posts

You can call it anything you want as long and you call me when its time to ride
On a side note, my dad had a K model when he was in High school. Wrecked it chasing a fire truck down a gravel road and spent several months in a body cast. He still talks about that bike

Old 05-10-2014, 06:32 AM
DrewBone
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Willymon
I've only been here a year (or so).

I came here humbled..because I was just getting back into it, after riding my entire childhood on the back of one.

Grew up and always something in the way, (obligations) before I could do it for my self. Finally did..**** I call it a "scooter"..and all of the sudden Sporty is bad?

I'm actually losing faith in this place..couple trolls show up that just smears it, ya know? (ok I'll say it..WHOSE THIS DRAINPLUG PHUCKER?) sorry. I already know who the stables around here are. The people you can count on just being what it is...good advice, etc.

I frequent places that your Grandmother isn't safe. I come here for camaraderie..sharing the same experience.

No, I don't need a *****'in hug. I just expect more from this place, that's all.
*****'m, this place is like family...and you know how that goes.

We certainly are an eclectic bunch that's for damn sure, and we all contribute in our own way to this family...some to our liking, some not. Meh. But what separates this place from a normal family is our ability to avoid any part of it that causes us grief, and that's unique! It's simply a matter of learning to pass over those people and commments from people who torque you up. When you can learn to do this, your experience here will be more beneficial to both you and us. 'Makes no sense to get all riled up over something someone said on the internet, let alone a faceless entity with whom you wouldn't even know if you fell over in the street. And believe me, the best way to drive them nuts is to offer them NO AUDIENCE...just like the expression: "Don't feed the trolls!"

I try my best not to **** anybody off with my daily ramblings ['not always successful, LOL] and I love to add some humor to try to get the dryness out of this place whenever possible. I believe that a cheerful outlook on things helps make even the worst situations seem better, and laughter is good for the heart and health, and even moreso when shared with friends and aquaintences of like minds.

So listen...please don't lose faith in this place because of a couple of trolls or idjits, they'll always be around. Let'm roll off you like water off a duck's back.

You've been here for a year or so, so you know as a whole that this place is a very reputable forum to gleen information and to share our daily experiences/problems/solutions/mods/etc. with our bikes, and it would be a great loss for you or anybody else to deny us their contributions here based on just a few unsavory types, eh? Don't let them get the best of you!!!

Stick around man!

=8^)

Old 05-10-2014, 06:46 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 9,418 Likes on 5,017 Posts

Originally Posted by grancuda
They were referred to a XL's.
Flat track racing they dominated & just prior to the CB750 being released, they were thr dominate bike.
The flat track machines were XR (ohv engine), and previous to that they were KR (flathead engine).

The street bike became the XL series when the overhead valve ironhead engine came out.

It wasn`t the four cylinder bikes that unseated the Sprotster from the performance throne, it was the Norton.

Jim Bronson rode an XLH...

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 05-10-2014 at 07:02 AM.
Old 05-10-2014, 07:40 AM
cvaria
Supporter
Received 2,201 Likes on 1,687 Posts

Trolling a motorcycle forum?

c'mon son

Originally Posted by TexasScooterTrash
The Sportster has a long History dating back to K Model Flathead. Back in the day, before the 4 cylinder foreign bike were on the scene, the Sportster Ruled the Street and Track. The Sportster was King and deserved RESPECT for it's performance. If it was called a "Sporty," a Girl's Bike or Paperboy's Bike, a sign of disrespect, it generally came from a Big Twin rider. After you left the Big Twin rider in the dust from the last stop light, his attitude changed. At the next light ya generally heard ... WOW, NICE Sportster. So here we are in 2014 ... and all I see is MY Sporty.

Please do some research. Be PROUD of your Sportster AND it's NAME!!!! Call it what it is . . . Sportster

Mine - Sportster 1972 XLCH 1000 (sold)
Wife - Sportster 1994 XLH 1200 (sold)
Sportster 2004 XLH 1200 Custom (current)
"Trolling
The art of deliberately, cleverly, and secretly pissing people off, usually via the internet, using dialogue. Trolling does not mean just making rude remarks: Shouting swear words at someone doesn't count as trolling; it's just flaming, and isn't funny. Spam isn't trolling either; it pisses people off, but it's lame.

The most essential part of trolling is convincing your victim that either a) truly believe in what you are saying, no matter how outrageous, or b) give your victim malicious instructions, under the guise of help.
Trolling requires decieving; any trolling that doesn't involve decieving someone isn't trolling at all; it's just stupid. As such, your victim must not know that you are trolling; if he does, you are an unsuccesful troll.

Signs that your trolling is succesful:
*Your victim screaming in all-caps at you.
*Personal attacks (Calling you a retard, idiot, etc).
*Being an Internet Tough Guy.
*Making a crude remark, before quickly logging off before you can retort.

Signs that your trolling is unsuccesful:
*Your victim identifying you as a troll.
*Identifying yourself as a troll.
*Your efforts being ignored.
*Being counter-trolled (See below)"
source: Urban Dictionary

Old 05-10-2014, 07:43 AM
cvaria
Supporter
Received 2,201 Likes on 1,687 Posts

Originally Posted by awilson40
You can call it anything you want as long and you call me when its time to ride
On a side note, my dad had a K model when he was in High school. Wrecked it chasing a fire truck down a gravel road and spent several months in a body cast. He still talks about that bike

why was he chasing a fire truck?

Old 05-10-2014, 07:48 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 9,418 Likes on 5,017 Posts

Originally Posted by cvaria
Trolling a motorcycle forum?
c'mon son
"Trolling
The art of deliberately, cleverly, malicious instructions, blah, blah, blah...
Now there is a troll if I ever saw one...

The OP`s post was not a troll, just some good lively discussion.

Quick Reply: What's up with all this "Sporty" talk???