Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Owner of a XL 1200 Sportster i have a few qustions

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 12:14 PM
djbeufie
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Owner of a XL 1200 Sportster i have a few qustions

I just got my 2009 XL 1200 Low last month it only had 86 miles on it so its like a brand new bike it has a little over 600 on it now i really enjoy the bike i just wanted to know if slip ons will work and what are some good ones to look at or should i just go full exhaust i just want cars to know im there and want it to sound loader then the stock pipes.

Also wanted to know how long do i have when my gas light comes on it seems to come on when im down to 2.5 gal lest i have the 4.5 gal tank?

Thanks for your guys help in advance!

Added a pic of my bike below!

Attached Thumbnails New Owner of a XL 1200 Sportster i have a few qustions-cam00089-2.jpg  
Old 05-08-2014, 12:31 PM
bigmant
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by djbeufie
I just got my 2009 XL 1200 Low last month it only had 86 miles on it so its like a brand new bike it has a little over 600 on it now i really enjoy the bike i just wanted to know if slip ons will work and what are some good ones to look at or should i just go full exhaust i just want cars to know im there and want it to sound loader then the stock pipes.

Also wanted to know how long do i have when my gas light comes on it seems to come on when im down to 2.5 gal lest i have the 4.5 gal tank?

Thanks for your guys help in advance!

Added a pic of my bike below!
Slip ons are good and sound great. Look at Vance and Hines. They make great stuff, but you can find their stuff cheaper if you look around.

Your fuel light probably comes on around 100 miles and you have until 150 until the tank is empty. I ran the bike until it was dry the other week just so I would know. Yours will be the same.

Old 05-08-2014, 01:06 PM
djbeufie
Stage IV

Originally Posted by bigmant
Slip ons are good and sound great. Look at Vance and Hines. They make great stuff, but you can find their stuff cheaper if you look around.

Your fuel light probably comes on around 100 miles and you have until 150 until the tank is empty. I ran the bike until it was dry the other week just so I would know. Yours will be the same.

Thanks for the info it is a big help nice bike as well i really like your exhaust that's the style i like how do they sound

Old 05-08-2014, 04:35 PM
bigmant
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks man! Well they are not slip ons. It's a full system from Vance and Hines. They sound terrific though. The stock pipes are just SO quiet, I couldn't stand it anymore haha

Old 05-08-2014, 06:49 PM
kingxirol
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
Smile

Congrats on your new bike! It looks very cool. I got a similar deal (2008 XL 1200C with 817 miles) and since then have added Rush 2" slip-ons (sounds great!), Screamin' Eagle Stage-1 kit with K&N filter and XiEDs and couldn't be happier with performance side of it (at least for now ).

Added a few more cosmetic changes to make it more shiny ..

Old 05-11-2014, 08:40 AM
djbeufie
Stage IV

Originally Posted by kingxirol
Congrats on your new bike! It looks very cool. I got a similar deal (2008 XL 1200C with 817 miles) and since then have added Rush 2" slip-ons (sounds great!), Screamin' Eagle Stage-1 kit with K&N filter and XiEDs and couldn't be happier with performance side of it (at least for now ).

Added a few more cosmetic changes to make it more shiny ..
Nice man yeah i have started to get a few thing for it i got some new hand grips and chrome handlebar switch housing and im going to some exhaust and then ill add a little here and a little there.

Old 05-11-2014, 11:42 AM
J Backlund
6th Gear

I just bought a 2004 XL1200R last Friday with only 2600 miles on it, it came with a pair of Harley 'Screaming Eagle' slip-ons but I don't like the noise. So if you, or anyone else out there has a pair of minty, stock, 1200 mufflers that they might want to trade for them, I'd be more than happy to make a swap.

Old 05-11-2014, 02:52 PM
djbeufie
Stage IV

Please send me a pic of them i would be willing to trade mine are in like new condition

Old 05-11-2014, 03:10 PM
kingxirol
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by J Backlund
I just bought a 2004 XL1200R last Friday with only 2600 miles on it, it came with a pair of Harley 'Screaming Eagle' slip-ons but I don't like the noise. So if you, or anyone else out there has a pair of minty, stock, 1200 mufflers that they might want to trade for them, I'd be more than happy to make a swap.
Sorry for hijacking this thread (can't PM you yet as your Forum profile is still new) but I do have OEM mufflers from my bike that I have posted here:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...00-custom.html

$90 shipped to your door in lower 48 states.

Old 05-11-2014, 11:08 PM
J Backlund
6th Gear

Originally Posted by djbeufie
Please send me a pic of them i would be willing to trade mine are in like new condition
Thanks, but it now looks like I'll probably go ahead and buy a stock pair, then sell mine as a separate transaction.

Quick Reply: New Owner of a XL 1200 Sportster i have a few qustions