Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Superchips Vigilante EZ Tuner Mini Review

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 11:09 AM
LonestarXL
Road Captain
Received 287 Likes on 110 Posts
Default Superchips Vigilante EZ Tuner Mini Review

I picked up the new Vigilante tuner and just flashed a tune on my bike last night. Thought I'd do a quick write up for those interested.

A little about me and my bike - stock 2013 Iron 883. Bought it new last June and put 7100 miles on it. Decided I want to put an intake and slipons on it soon and want to do it right, even if it's in increments. Getting a tuner is not the sexiest first option but hey I'm looking at the long game. I've been researching tuners, XIEDS, dealer flash, dynos, etc. for a year now. Superchips just came out with a flash type tuner called the Vigilante that goes for $299 and they were giving $150 off to forum members so I thought, why not I don't want to spend $500 or more on a Powervision or dyno time, and this may be the way to go if it works right. I'm not a tech whiz and want something that's fairly simple and doesn't require detailed knowledge of closed loop, open loop, AFRs, etc etc. and doesn't stay on the bike or piggy back in any way.

Ordered late in the day on a Friday, 4/25, and got it yesterday in time for Cinco de Mayo.

Updating it using their software didn't work for me. My laptop is really old and has issues so it wouldn't recognize the device when I plugged it in. That's my fault. I'm going to try and update it on the kids laptop later this week and I'm sure it will work fine. Regardles, it has the tunes on it I want anyway.

Decided to flash an improved stock tune on the bike to try it out (they have different canned tunes loaded into the tuner). The whole process took about 5 minutes or less, super easy.

Idle at first was faster than normal. It settled down after a bit and I took it for a 45 minute spin.
All I can say is, WOW. First thing I noticed was how much smoother the bike ran. That's the best way I can describe it. Noticeably less engine vibration throughout the powerband. It just ran "better".
Roll-on power was much smoother and instant. Top end noise was less. It just seemed to run "like it should". I thought it was fine stock for the first 7100 miles, come to find out, no it was not, this is much better.

I rode another hour into work this morning in a mix of highway and traffic. I'm sold. Even if I don't do intake or exhaust this was a good purchase at that price. This is how the bike should have run from the factory. Granted, this is just a stock bike with an improved stock tune and I haven't run it but a couple hours so far.

This has me really wanting to hurry up and get the DK 425 intake and Rush slipons I've been eyeing.

Word of caution, however--the big twin guys have been having problems with this tuner not playing nice with their cruise control, or any de-catted exhaust. Apparently Superchips is working on that.

CLIFFS NOTES: bought tuner, flashed improved stock tune on stock bike easily, runs much smoother, quicker roll-on power, less lugging, less engine noise, good purchase, will report back after I get intake, slipons, and re-tune it.

Old 05-06-2014, 01:35 PM
USMC_ech110
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Where can I get one!!!

Old 05-06-2014, 02:57 PM
LonestarXL
Road Captain
Received 287 Likes on 110 Posts

Superchips at http://superchips.com/cat/hd/

There's a thread going on in the vendor classifieds about it with a coupon code. Not sure if it still works or not.

Old 05-06-2014, 04:31 PM
Superchips
Former Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by USMC_ech110
Where can I get one!!!
We are still offering these for 50% off on our website. Just type in "hdforums" for the coupon code prior to check out and the discount will be applied. We have a limited supply on this deal, but we have some left.

Old 05-06-2014, 05:33 PM
coco_iron883
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Superchips
We are still offering these for 50% off on our website. Just type in "hdforums" for the coupon code prior to check out and the discount will be applied. We have a limited supply on this deal, but we have some left.
I look on your website superchip and go you guys have one for the 2014 sportsters model ???

Thanks

Old 05-06-2014, 06:42 PM
jojo2dog
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had the ez on a 2008 dyna superglide with Rinehart Churchill exhaust and K&N upgraded filter for 2 weeks and its doing fine, no problems

Old 05-06-2014, 09:03 PM
weaverkb
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for this info. I just ordered one using the discount code. Extremely good deal. I'm looking forward to having a smooth running bike for a change.

Old 05-06-2014, 09:44 PM
coco_iron883
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone is this working on 2014 models .....the website is saying efi up to 2013...I cant see any changes from 13 to 14 .....

Old 05-07-2014, 06:04 AM
awilson40
Road Warrior
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 1,501 Likes on 550 Posts

Its a shame you cant do more than load a canned tune and reset codes.

Old 05-07-2014, 09:20 AM
DrewBone
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by awilson40
Its a shame you cant do more than load a canned tune and reset codes.
You usually get what you pay for, [edit->] that and the information regarding this tuner on their own website is practically non existant...unless I am missing something? Anybody?

=8^)

Last edited by DrewBone; 05-07-2014 at 09:30 AM.

Quick Reply: Superchips Vigilante EZ Tuner Mini Review