Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shocks on 48

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 07:27 PM
Fairbanksdmt
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shocks on 48

I have combed through the threads on here about upgrading their rear shocks on the Harley 48 but the data I'm getting out of the responses are not quite what I'm looking for.
I have a 2013 Harley 48, I'm 5.8 and 175 lbs in gear. I ride solo, but ride hard and my goal is to improve not only the ride quality for comfort but to improve the handling of my bike.
I have seen many threads on Progressive shocks both 412 and 444's and such, but my question is this: If you had say only about $600 bucks to dedicate to improving the ride quality on your sporty what would you do? If I go with top of the line Progressives that is about 10% of the total cost of the bike and I can't justify it in my head. Are the Progressive 444's really worth it and why? What characteristics were so improved, or not improved, or should I go another direction entirely? Any specific examples or insight would very greatly appreciated.

Old 05-04-2014, 09:25 PM
mopeman-72HD
Tourer

You could go for the RG or SG air shocks and get progressive fork springs and have some $ left over for another mod?

Old 05-04-2014, 09:34 PM
Dusty Bones
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mopeman-72HD
You could go for the RG or SG air shocks and get progressive fork springs and have some $ left over for another mod?
This, and get rid of the stock tires. If you get better suspension and leave the stock tires on then all you are doing is putting a band aid on the issue. I was about to do the same thing and this being my first sportster (got tired of bikes weighing half a ton). Bought a barely used sporty and the ride was horrible. After getting real tires and adjusting the stock suspension to the middle preload setting it rides like a dream. Saved a bunch of money adjusting and trashing them horrible tires.

Start with tires, and adjusting. If it is not where you want it then upgrade suspension. The stock tires are that bad.

Old 05-04-2014, 10:31 PM
Fairbanksdmt
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Dusty Bones
This, and get rid of the stock tires. If you get better suspension and leave the stock tires on then all you are doing is putting a band aid on the issue. I was about to do the same thing and this being my first sportster (got tired of bikes weighing half a ton). Bought a barely used sporty and the ride was horrible. After getting real tires and adjusting the stock suspension to the middle preload setting it rides like a dream. Saved a bunch of money adjusting and trashing them horrible tires.

Start with tires, and adjusting. If it is not where you want it then upgrade suspension. The stock tires are that bad.
Man I'm glad to hear this because as you know i'm all about ditching these stock tires even though they have at least 5k worth of tread left on them. These scorchers suck and I'm doing the 170 wide s*****o immediately. That last time the rear slide out on me and almost caused a low side for no reason I knew these tires were going in the dumpster.

Old 05-05-2014, 12:24 AM
blakeusa
Novice
Default Tires

What kind or brand of tires do you recommend ?

Old 05-05-2014, 01:31 AM
Raulgutz
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shinko 777. I'm running a 170-70-16 on my rear and it's awesome. Smooth and corners like a dream. Super soft too.

Old 05-05-2014, 05:18 AM
Fairbanksdmt
Cruiser

Originally Posted by mopeman-72HD
Is there a particular model on both of these recommendations that you think would be the best for performance and fitment? Would it be ok to get used ones or is that not a good idea?

Old 05-05-2014, 05:52 AM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Your not that heavy, Id stay away from the air shocks.

Old 05-05-2014, 08:25 AM
wachuko
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts

PM sent.

Old 05-05-2014, 06:07 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,239 Likes on 2,469 Posts

If you get a pair of 13" take-off air shocks and run a couple of #'s in them, and some Avon tires, I think you still have some green left over.

The 13" will give you some more lean, and some quicker steering. The Avon's love the corners.

Quick Reply: Shocks on 48