Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportsters are not Entry Level Bikes

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 09:52 AM
kliffnotes
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportsters are not Entry Level Bikes

Shortly after I got my Sportster, I started thinking that I should have gotten a bigger bike. However, the more I ride it and learn about Sportsters, the more I like it. First, Sportsters are harder to ride than the bigger bikes. They are more subject to the wind and have more vibration so it takes more skill to control than a heavier machine. Expert Sportster riders have skills! Also, Sportsters are really café racers. They were Harley's answer to the Triumphs that got popular in the 60's. Sportsters were designed to be race bikes and, back in the day, they did well at the track. It is a fallacy that Sportsters are entry level bikes. They were not designed for that purpose.

Old 05-04-2014, 10:09 AM
rdunnill
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kliffnotes
First, Sportsters are harder to ride than the bigger bikes. They are more subject to the wind and have more vibration so it takes more skill to control than a heavier machine.
My experience has been the opposite: I find them easier to control than the bigger machines, and that's why I bought another one.

Old 05-04-2014, 10:10 AM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

You're right, they're not entry level bikes. But most sales persons at the dealerships consider them entry level Harleys. They see a lot of customers come back a year later to trade them in on big twins.

Old 05-04-2014, 10:12 AM
Layzie
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought my 48, I prefer the smaller bikes. I like the stripped down old bobber look versus the big bikes.

Old 05-04-2014, 11:23 AM
modular
Stellar HDF Member

Received 285 Likes on 184 Posts

In the eye's of the dealership's they are considered "entry level" only because they see them as the "gateway drug" to BT's. They are in no way shape or form an entry level bike for people that have never ridden a bike before. That's what the metric 250's are for......well, and the new Street's coming out soon.

Old 05-04-2014, 11:39 AM
DavidStiebel
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Dealer : schmealer, Sportsters are mid-sized bikes but are the best of the bunch from HD. They tear around just fine, they cruse all day, going all day and when you get off your not sore as hell.
Big twins!?
I believe the power to weight ratio is lower than the "Big Twins", also where are these twins anyway? are they cute?

Varrroooommmm!

Oh baby, oh baby! I'd buy that for a dollar!

Old 05-04-2014, 11:42 AM
Juan L
Received 20,118 Likes on 10,260 Posts

Originally Posted by kliffnotes
Shortly after I got my Sportster, I started thinking that I should have gotten a bigger bike. However, the more I ride it and learn about Sportsters, the more I like it. First, Sportsters are harder to ride than the bigger bikes. They are more subject to the wind and have more vibration so it takes more skill to control than a heavier machine. Expert Sportster riders have skills! Also, Sportsters are really café racers. They were Harley's answer to the Triumphs that got popular in the 60's. Sportsters were designed to be race bikes and, back in the day, they did well at the track. It is a fallacy that Sportsters are entry level bikes. They were not designed for that purpose.
Your justification and self-reassurance are noted

Old 05-04-2014, 11:46 AM
rdunnill
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PanHeadRich
You're right, they're not entry level bikes. But most sales persons at the dealerships consider them entry level Harleys. They see a lot of customers come back a year later to trade them in on big twins.
I did that, then came back because the Sportsters are more stable and easier to control.

Old 05-04-2014, 12:55 PM
awilson40
Road Warrior
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 1,518 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by Layzie
I just bought my 48, I prefer the smaller bikes. I like the stripped down old bobber look versus the big bikes.
Yep, Me too.
I'm owned a lot of different bikes and could have bought just about anything I wanted (within reason). I was looking for an older sportster that I could bob or cafe and then I saw the 48 and had to have it. My wife doesnt ride with me, doesnt care what I bought. I knew all I was going to do is ride around town, 6 miles to work and a nice 1-2 hr ride on weekends. The 48 fits that bill perfectly. And its a great platform for mods

Old 05-04-2014, 01:21 PM
JustaHawg
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I totally agree. All bikers not riding sportsters are non-skilled, slow moving dumb asses.

Quick Reply: Sportsters are not Entry Level Bikes