Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportsters are not Entry Level Bikes

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 08:12 PM
JustaHawg
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rog48
Keep telling yourself that until you believe it. The number of trade ins to sportsters on this forum should tell you something..........mainly............what they really wanted was a motorcycle.
Do a forum poll. Loozer sends the whin......err I mean winner a $25 Starbucks card. Or if you don't drink coffee we can do something else. But I do love my cappuccino :-)

Here's your chance to put me in my place :-)

What say you Sporty?

Old 05-04-2014, 09:29 PM
LonestarXL
Road Captain
Received 287 Likes on 110 Posts

I could have bought any bike I wanted, more or less. Since I don't "tour" I don't want a touring bike. I'm more of a "right tool for the job" kinda guy. If I ever get to the point where most of my riding is touring, or two up, I may get a bigger bike. Until then I'm having too much fun on the one I got to get in a pissing match over it. Lol
Ride what you got.

Old 05-04-2014, 09:33 PM
Juan L
Received 20,118 Likes on 10,260 Posts

Originally Posted by LonestarXL
I could have bought any bike I wanted, more or less. Since I don't "tour" I don't want a touring bike. I'm more of a "right tool for the job" kinda guy. If I ever get to the point where most of my riding is touring, or two up, I may get a bigger bike. Until then I'm having too much fun on the one I got to get in a pissing match over it. Lol
Ride what you got.
Good looking bike!

Old 05-04-2014, 09:38 PM
06Sporty75
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From sitting on just about every bike in a show room I notice 1 thing. they are all set-up for about the same size riders anyway, in fact at 6'0" I like the seating position of the 1200 custom with forwards much better than most other "big Bikes" because they are set-up for short people. riding sportsters is effortless because they are so light weight. I haven't test drove a bigger bike but I can imagine whipping it around like a sportster.

Sure if you are into those crazy 300 mile trips then sure, the bigger the bike the better, but those don't make much sense to me, I don't really want to spend all day on a motorcycle anyway, I use mine mainly for commuting,

Old 05-04-2014, 09:39 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,632 Likes on 2,735 Posts

Originally Posted by rdunnill
If your Tour Glide fell over, would your newbie be able to right it without help?
Probably not the 600+ lb sporty, either. 'less they were a big'un or knew the trick to it. I don't know if I could pick up the Glide... or the sporty. I'm 67, ain't near as buff as a few decades ago, so I just don't let em fall over.

Old 05-04-2014, 10:00 PM
JustaHawg
Banned

Originally Posted by LonestarXL
Ride what you got.
Couldn't have said it better, that's what it's all about, fun, freedom and the eternal expensive customizing.

No pissing match, just a friendly chat ;-)

Old 05-04-2014, 10:04 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,252 Likes on 2,478 Posts

Originally Posted by 06Sporty75
From sitting on just about every bike in a show room I notice 1 thing. they are all set-up for about the same size riders anyway, in fact at 6'0" I like the seating position of the 1200 custom with forwards much better than most other "big Bikes" because they are set-up for short people. riding sportsters is effortless because they are so light weight. I haven't test drove a bigger bike but I can imagine whipping it around like a sportster.

Sure if you are into those crazy 300 mile trips then sure, the bigger the bike the better, but those don't make much sense to me, I don't really want to spend all day on a motorcycle anyway, I use mine mainly for commuting,
Hey, I got a Sporty...and it is great for crazy 300 mile days...even 600 mile days.

But when going on long trips with the wife, like to the Arctic Circle last summer, I do have a touring bike-I think we did something like 13,000 miles on that trip.

Here's the thread to that ride report- Like LonestarXL said...different tools for different jobs

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/tri-g...er-2013-a.html

Last edited by DK Custom; 05-04-2014 at 10:06 PM.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:04 PM
JustaHawg
Banned

Originally Posted by Imold
Probably not the 600+ lb sporty, either. 'less they were a big'un or knew the trick to it. I don't know if I could pick up the Glide... or the sporty. I'm 67, ain't near as buff as a few decades ago, so I just don't let em fall over.
I did it once and coincidentally it was shortly after I watched the video of a female picking up a fallen RK. I did it but definitely not something I want to do again real soon!

Old 05-04-2014, 10:31 PM
JustOneDean
Road Warrior
Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

OP, I agree with most of what you said. But I do NOT ride a cafe racer.

Old 05-05-2014, 12:38 AM
BootheatsBUGS
Cruiser

I bought a sportster because I wanted one, that's all. Don't need justification or reassurance from anyone else.

Quick Reply: Sportsters are not Entry Level Bikes