Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportsters are not Entry Level Bikes

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 07:08 PM
Juan L
Received 20,118 Likes on 10,260 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by JustaHawg
What's a streamer? Is that like when I stream spurtster fail videos from my iPad to my tv?

;-)
HAHAHA, Spurtster. Lotsa fun here today!

Old 05-04-2014, 07:09 PM
JustaHawg
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rwhisen
I rode sportbikes for many many years (last one was a Ducati 1198) and I'll tell you, not many girls like riding on them because the "rear seats" are for appearance only I guarantee you. They aren't comfortable at all. On the performance side you simply can't fathom the feeling of blasting triple digits in second gear.

I'll let you in on a little secret ALL bikes have little problems that can plague them if they aren't taken care of quickly. Change the clutch once and be done with it.

As far as your race offer, I get to pick the type of race and I say we go 300 miles, non-stop and whoever runs out of gas first loses. What do you say?
I'm in! We should have time to stop for lunch or a beer :-)

Old 05-04-2014, 07:14 PM
JustaHawg
Banned

Most of the guys on the man-sized bikes started small too.....I myself started on an old Honda CL100 40+ years ago. It's OK and a natural progression. Don't be afraid of change.
Believe it or not I started out on a 350 HD Sprint. Then I got a 900 Spurtster. Then I turned 17 ;-)

Old 05-04-2014, 07:15 PM
Wildon883R
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

Most of the guys on the man-sized bikes started small too.....I myself started on an old Honda CL100 40+ years ago. It's OK and a natural progression. Don't be afraid of change.
Had to laugh, your definitely clueless. My first ride was a minibike followed by a Honda Mini Trail 70. Man sized bike? Go to Asia where the man sized bike is 70cc to 250cc machines. Yeah a 125cc/250cc machine pulling a side car as a business vehicle. Go to Europe where sub 1000cc machines are the norm.

There is no such thing as a natural progression when it comes to motorcycle riding. I go to the dealership every spring with the money and hopes to buy anything on the showroom floor. Then I buy a jacket or new gloves and walk out knowing my bike is cooler looking and better handling than anything the dealer has to offer.

Oh btw we've downsized our cages in favor of fuel efficiency without giving up any of the luxuries. I love my country but we are one of the most wasteful nations in the world hands down.

Old 05-04-2014, 07:18 PM
Juan L

Originally Posted by JustaHawg
I'm in! We should have time to stop for lunch or a beer :-)
I figure once we pass mile marker 150-160 we won't see the Sporty any more. We can stretch it out to 250 then stop and have a beer and burger while we wait on the wrecker to bring the loser in, with his title in hand. I won't take his bike, I think we should make him wash ours as penance.

Originally Posted by Wildon883R
......Oh btw we've downsized our cages in favor of fuel efficiency without giving up any of the luxuries. I love my country but we are one of the most wasteful nations in the world hands down.
I've lived in all of those places you've mentioned. Thanks for saving the planet one gallon at a time but never once have I bought a vehicle for fuel efficiency. Please keep your Prius out of the left lane.....

Last edited by Juan L; 05-04-2014 at 07:22 PM.
Old 05-04-2014, 07:22 PM
JustaHawg
Banned

Originally Posted by Wildon883R
Had to laugh, your definitely clueless. My first ride was a minibike followed by a Honda Mini Trail 70. Man sized bike? Go to Asia where the man sized bike is 70cc to 250cc machines. Yeah a 125cc/250cc machine pulling a side car as a business vehicle. Go to Europe where sub 1000cc machines are the norm.

There is no such thing as a natural progression when it comes to motorcycle riding. I go to the dealership every spring with the money and hopes to buy anything on the showroom floor. Then I buy a jacket or new gloves and walk out knowing my bike is cooler looking and better handling than anything the dealer has to offer.

Oh btw we've downsized our cages in favor of fuel efficiency without giving up any of the luxuries. I love my country but we are one of the most wasteful nations in the world hands down.
I have a big gas guzzling hemi in my Mopar. Probably not good eh?

Old 05-04-2014, 07:25 PM
orangehotrod
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I rode sportbikes for many many years (last one was a Ducati 1198) and I'll tell you, not many girls like riding on them because the "rear seats" are for appearance only I guarantee you. They aren't comfortable at all. On the performance side you simply can't fathom the feeling of blasting triple digits in second gear. I'll let you in on a little secret ALL bikes have little problems that can plague them if they aren't taken care of quickly. Change the clutch once and be done with it. As far as your race offer, I get to pick the type of race and I say we go 300 miles, non-stop and whoever runs out of gas first loses. What do you say?
Why are you talking to me like I know nothing about sport bikes??? I never put them down nor did I compare them to a sportster. I have ridden many but have never personally owned one because I physically can't ride a long distance on one and yes, they aren't comfortable. Thus why I stated I chose a sportster. It's still agile AND quick; I didn't say sport bike quick. Also, It isn't my grandfather's couch, LOL.

Old 05-04-2014, 07:27 PM
JustaHawg
Banned

I figure once we pass mile marker 150-160 we won't see the Sporty any more. We can stretch it out to 250 then stop and have a beer and burger while we wait on the wrecker to bring the loser in, with his title in hand. I won't take his bike, I think we should make him wash ours as penance.

I've lived in all of those places you've mentioned. Thanks for saving the planet one gallon at a time but never once have I bought a vehicle for fuel efficiency. Please keep your Prius out of the left lane.....
I totally agree, and maybe polish the chrome.

Oh don't get me started on Prius's! Those dang clown cars shouldn't be allowed on freeways!

Old 05-04-2014, 07:29 PM
JustaHawg
Banned

Originally Posted by orangehotrod
Why are you talking to me like I know nothing about sport bikes??? I never put them down nor did I compare them to a sportster. I have ridden many but have never personally owned one because I physically can't ride a long distance on one and yes, they aren't comfortable. Thus why I stated I chose a sportster. It's still agile AND quick; I didn't say sport bike quick. Also, It isn't my grandfather's couch, LOL.
RUH! ROH! Sounds like someone's back peddling ;-)))

Old 05-04-2014, 07:30 PM
Juan L

Originally Posted by orangehotrod
Sorry I made an assumption that since you characterized a sporty as "quick" you weren't really aware of what quick was. My mistake. I can't stay on them because my old decrepit knees have been ground down to nothing and I need a couch to ride on! Used to stay on those things all day at the track.

So how about that race you wanted? 300 miles non-stop? You can go as fast as you want, old JustaHawg and I will just putt down the road.....

Last edited by Juan L; 05-04-2014 at 07:32 PM.

Quick Reply: Sportsters are not Entry Level Bikes