Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportsters are not Entry Level Bikes

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 05:59 PM
Juan L
Received 20,118 Likes on 10,260 Posts

Originally Posted by baka1969
Only trolls with tiny peckers ride the Sportster. Those who like to drink beer and ride motorcycles have no problems.
Fixed it for you!

Old 05-07-2014, 06:48 PM
JustaHawg
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rwhisen
Fixed it for you!
Damn that's funny. True, but funny.

Old 05-07-2014, 06:52 PM
JustaHawg
Banned

Originally Posted by Hogie_gt
All I will say is that I may pick up an older Fatboy sometime down the road. Mainly because I really like that bike. Not because my XL1200 is too small and I need to get a bigger bike. I will keep my XL1200 because I like it. And because it is my first REAL bike (a Harley). I have owned many bikes in my years and I find that my Harley is by far the best I have ever had! I shoulda bought one sooner!

The newer big twins are just TOO big. Plus the older engines are tried and true! I hear the newer BT have heat problems hence the newer ones having cooling around the exhaust valve or shutting off the rear cylinder when idling. I will look for either an 88 or a 96 cubes model. Plenty for a small guy like me.
Take a demo ride on a Switchback, might be perfect for you. But leave your checkbook at home.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:04 PM
JustaHawg
Banned

Originally Posted by HDmikie
I know we can't choose which way the bike falls over, but it's better if it falls on the side opposite the kickstand. That way when you lift the bike you don't have to worry about it falling over the other way because it will land on the kickstand.

About Sportsters......all I can say is the local Craigslst is full of Sporties. A couple years ago I helped a older friend sell his wife's sporty and it took over a year to sell along with a $1800 haircut in price.
Ouch! So that must have brought the price down to zero then.

I heard some dealers are giving away a free spurtster if you buy a t-shirt.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:10 PM
Rick S
Tourer
Received 80 Likes on 44 Posts

I have had my sporty a month now and it sure seems small compared to my road glide and GL1800. Not saying that in a bad way, as it is sure easier to move around and fun to ride due to it being more nimble than the other two. I had a 07 show up for a detail today and I had just got off my Road Glide, when I went to move it I about dropped it as I went to pick it up off the side stand with the usual muscle that I use with the big bikes and it about went over on the other side.

Starter bike? Probably not in my mind due to its power. I learned to ride on a 90 cc dirt bike in the 60's and moved up from there. I think starting out riding dirt makes a person a better rider as you learn to handle all kind of situations and you can also explore the limits of traction and what happens when you find and then exceed that limit and then how to handle that situation. But, with some of the imports having 250 and 300 cc sport bikes that are as quick or maybe quicker than a sportster makes the the power issue a moot point. I would rather start someone off on a bike with a low center of gravity than a higher one such as the 250 sport bikes have. I started my girls off on Honda CT 110s. So that they could master the feel of the bike without having to worry about the clutch, once they could ride and have pretty good control then we learned how to use a clutch-that was entertaining!

Since I am on a roll I will also say I don't understand the reference to them being a girls bike as they will run with or out run a big twin due to the power to weight ratio. It must be the pirate costumes some wear that impairs their judgement.

I did enjoy being two up on the 1800 and walking from my friend on his softail when he tried a 60mph roll on contest. He has since put screaming eagle heads on it, but won't try it again. I told him they would revoke his pirate license if anyone found out.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:22 PM
BlkSheep
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I opted for the t-shirt and spurtster!

The beer belly, do-rag, and mullet promotion to get the free "fat ***" sized Harley just didn't have the right appeal to my self conscious. Maybe next time, if they throw in a collection of HD fingerless gloves and stickers for my cage to advertise I own a HD, and for good measure a winter jacket to keep me warm in my cage! Lmfao ... That is what you couch humpers all do right!?

Last edited by BlkSheep; 05-07-2014 at 07:25 PM.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:25 PM
Rick S
Tourer
Received 80 Likes on 44 Posts

Hold on about the beer belly.....

Old 05-07-2014, 08:04 PM
HDmikie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 112 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by JustaHawg
Ouch! So that must have brought the price down to zero then.

I heard some dealers are giving away a free spurtster if you buy a t-shirt.
Yeah, he started off asking $5500 for a 2001 HD 1200 sporty with 18000 miles and sold it for $3700. Bummed him out as he put $2000 into chrome and pipes on the bike.

Old 05-07-2014, 08:19 PM
JustaHawg
Banned

Originally Posted by BlkSheep

The beer belly, do-rag, and mullet promotion to get the free "fat ***" sized Harley just didn't have the right appeal to my self conscious. Maybe next time, if they throw in a collection of HD fingerless gloves and stickers for my cage to advertise I own a HD, and for good measure a winter jacket to keep me warm in my cage! Lmfao ... That is what you couch humpers all do right!?
Couch humpers? No, we do it with real females

Old 05-07-2014, 08:27 PM
Juan L
Received 20,118 Likes on 10,260 Posts

Originally Posted by BlkSheep

Oh look his Sporty came with the "totally bad ***, evil skull hanky" to cover his face with! Awesome look!

Quick Reply: Sportsters are not Entry Level Bikes