Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rode bike to work for 1st time hilarity ensues

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 02:13 PM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,833 Likes on 8,588 Posts

Originally Posted by Zimbob
Here's some free advise, A mind is a terrible thing not to mess with.
And another one by W.C. Fields long ago: It is morally wrong to allow a sucker to keep his money.

Old 05-04-2014, 04:36 PM
Wildon883R
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

The hilarity of things is if you ride a jap bike nobody gives a rats *** about how big your engine is. I drove a 650cc bike for MANY years and nobody ever jousted me about driving a small bike. There is not a damn thing wrong with the Sportster be it the 883 or the 1200.

They are Harley's least expensive yet most customizable bike Harley Davidson makes. HD makes the majority of its money in aftermarket sales to yes Sportster owners. Most riders that ride Dyna's on up never touch there bikes vs Sportster riders who are seemly continually trying to make it there own.

There isn't much so far other than the frame, engine and wheels that I haven't replaced. Every year is a new project. I get amused by people who say I'm too big for a Sportster and need to buy a Touring bike. My measly 883 gets me and the wife to 70mph faster than most cars and trucks by a mile. I'm 240 @ 6foot1.

I own a Jeep Liberty but nobody asked me why I haven't upgraded to Jeeps highest dollar vehicle. The trash talk most receive is by other Harley owners trying to justify there machine as a superior bike to the Sportster. Truth be told most touring bikes owned by both men and women are way more then they can handle outside of running a straight line down the interstate. I know that 90% of them that got there MC endorsement on a smaller bike probably a 250cc machine couldn't pass the basic skills test on there Touring bike

Old 05-04-2014, 09:24 PM
JustOneDean
Road Warrior
Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

I had a guy in a different department where I worked (he didn't last very long) who used to brag about his bikes. He had a nameless crotch rocket that he seemed to forget he owned after the first couple times he mentioned it. Here are some of the gems that came out of his mouth: His Harley was a '95 Fat Boy with a kickstarter and a 1200cc engine. He couldn't ride it to work because it was in the shop getting a big bore kit installed.

As soon as the big bore kit was installed, he traded it for a Gold Wing that we never even saw pictures of. He couldn't ride that to work because it cost him 120 bucks to fill up his 10-gallon gas tank (what's the tank size on a Wing? And where is he paying 12 bucks a gallon?). He also couldn't get his tires changed at my indy because they did my bike, which is a belt drive, which meant they wouldn't know how to do the chain drive on his Wing (shaft drive, by the way).

The best part: I asked him what oil he mixes with his gas on the Wing, and he told me Royal Purple

Oh, and this entire time, he was getting to work on one of them pretty bicycles with a nice little white wicker basket on the handlebars.

Old 05-05-2014, 01:17 PM
ClodeV
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I work in a small division with only 8 or so people also. Most compliment my bike but one guy seems obcessed over me wearing chaps to work when i ride. Non rider older guy that seems to not be able to let it go. He can't make the leap that the gear is for protection not to look pretty. i think he's just secretly gay hahahaahahah

Old 05-05-2014, 01:22 PM
wachuko
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts

Forget about it... we all appreciate you in this forum

Old 05-05-2014, 01:36 PM
T-Rod45
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive found that people who talk **** about Sportsters either don't own a bike, or rarely ride the bike they have. If you are truely a motorcycle enthusiast then you'd know they are great bikes and if you are a builder you know they're cool as hell! To top it off, if it weren't for the Sporty, they'd probably be riding a Victory because the MoCo would've gone out of business a long time ago if it weren't for that little bike...

Old 05-05-2014, 01:45 PM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,833 Likes on 8,588 Posts

Originally Posted by T-Rod45
Ive found that people who talk **** about Sportsters either don't own a bike, or rarely ride the bike they have. If you are truely a motorcycle enthusiast then you'd know they are great bikes and if you are a builder you know they're cool as hell! To top it off, if it weren't for the Sporty, they'd probably be riding a Victory because the MoCo would've gone out of business a long time ago if it weren't for that little bike...

Old 05-05-2014, 02:19 PM
D_gyver
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

well I talk a little shyt about sportsters. and I own a lot of bikes and ride every chance I get. and I am a builder and the only thing that is cool about sportsters is. there inexpensive to buy if you break it just go buy another one

never understood the logic in most sportster purchases. buy one for 9000 spend 6000 in upgrades sell it two years later for 5000 just to buy a dyna
and since im around bikes all day I see this alot

Old 05-05-2014, 02:29 PM
T-Rod45
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by D_gyver
well I talk a little shyt about sportsters. and I own a lot of bikes and ride every chance I get. and I am a builder and the only thing that is cool about sportsters is. there inexpensive to buy if you break it just go buy another one

never understood the logic in most sportster purchases. buy one for 9000 spend 6000 in upgrades sell it two years later for 5000 just to buy a dyna
and since im around bikes all day I see this alot
Most of baddest chops in the world are built from Sportsters... What are you "building"? Pro street bikes? Baggers?

Old 05-05-2014, 02:41 PM
D_gyver
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Most of baddest chops in the world are built from Sportsters... What are you "building"? Pro street bikes? Baggers?
I build whatever pops in my brain. never built a bagger own a few tho
only one pro street didn't like the way it felt sold that one here's one im working on now

Quick Reply: Rode bike to work for 1st time hilarity ensues