Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a sportster with a wide glide...Tire questions...

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 03:29 PM
avianman
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a sportster with a wide glide...Tire questions...

I searched, and there are a million people asking questions about putting a fat tire on their sporty. BUT, they are usually ordering a wide glide front and starting with a narrow glide OR they are looking to swap from another bike.

I am looking at buying an 02 with a wide glide front. Guy says he thinks it was a kit, but he bought it that way so he isn't sure.

So, it has a 21" front tire, narrow. I want to put a fat tire on the front like my 48.

If I was swapping out from a wide glide bike, Id get a front tire that matched, and if I was ordering a wide glide kit, I'd get the various accessories with the kit that would accept a 16" tire.

But I am doing neither - SO...

Assuming that the axle is stock size, what would I need to put a fat tire, equal to the rear, on the bike?
Would I need all kind of spacers, etc?
Can I just buy a rear wheel from a sportster of the same year and transfer the disk over?
A fat front wheel from another model?

Sorry if this has been answered, I am still searching but wanted to just throw the post out

Old 04-22-2014, 03:32 PM
dhc
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I'm also planning to put a WG kit on my Nightster in the near future.
I had bookmarked some sites for this, maybe you will find them handy:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...l-on-07-a.html

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...-question.html

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...ulcan-kit.html

http://vulcanworks.net/store_4/produ...&cat=11&page=1

Old 04-22-2014, 05:34 PM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

If it has a wide glide just get the wheel of your choice. You might have to measure to get the right spacers but thats it. I would stay away from rear mag wheels, they're just too heavy. I rear spoked wheel is light enough, thats what Im running.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:54 AM
Ergonight
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm no expert, but you have 2 options that I'm aware of:

1) Do what Rog says and buy a new Harley 16" wheel. I got mine off of ebay. 40 spokes is the most common for spoked wheels but make sure what you buy matches what you have on the rear...unless you intentionally want to mix it up. Make sure the axle size is the same - Harley changed axle size from 3/4" to 25mm in 2007 (or was it the other way around??) so if the wheel you buy is later than 2007 you'll have to buy new bearings and the internal axle spacer (the tube that runs inside the hub between the bearings) to fit your 02 axle. Then you'll have to find, buy or make new spacers that go on the outside of the hub between the hub and the forks. I hate to send them more business but Vulcan/Motorway Engineering probably has what you need, if you can deal with them and if they actually send you the right parts the first or second time. Fair warning - their customer service sucks IMO. But I don't know where else you can buy the ready made parts. Others here might...

2) Buy a new 16" rim and spokes from Buchanan's and have them relace your existing hub into a new 16" wheel. Or do it yourself if you know how. Doing it that way you don't have to mess with new bearings or spacers - everything bolts right up as before. I think.

I hope this helps. Good luck.