Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

warning lights

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 05:49 AM
knights
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default warning lights

i was leaving work yesterday, after about 1 minute of riding on my way home i noticed that the engine light and battery light were both on.
my first instinct was to pull over turn the bike off then then try to start her up again.
but i was afraid that if i turned her off it wouldnt start again and i was but stuck by work. after a 12 hr shift, i just wanted to go straight home.

so i kept riding.
at first i thought the idle at traffic lights, seemed a bit low, but im pretty sure that was just my imagination playing tricks on me.

there were no symptoms or problems so i kept riding home.

when i arrived i turned the bike off. tried to start her back up.
and it woudlnt start. part of me was relieved that i didnt turn her off by work.
but another part of me was pissed that my bike wouldnt start.

first place i checked was the battery.
checked all connections, all seemed fine
so them i checked all the fuses, all fine.
i checked all the lights and indicators, all fine.

so i hooked up my battery optimizer.
read out was really low.
so i left it was an hour or 2, read out was about half way charged, figured if the battery was too low to start the bike before then half should be good enough to get a spark going now.
so i tried it, bike started with no problems.
also no warning lights.
so i turned her off and left her on charge over night.
came down this morning, tried her again, same, all starts, no problems.

im hoping it was some kind of weird electrical problem effecting the battery and now its gone.

anyone experienced anything like this?
anything to look out for?

Old 04-19-2014, 08:19 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Odds are VERY high that you have a bad Stator, Regulator or both.
The Battery and Engine lights together indicate a Low Voltage condition, which if the motor is running indicates the charging system is not working.

Put a volt meter across the battery with that motor running at a fast idle. You should measure at least 13.8V to as high as 14.8V.

Old 04-19-2014, 08:21 AM
knights
Tourer

my battery optimizer gives a volt read out, would that be the same thing?

Old 04-19-2014, 08:52 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by knights
my battery optimizer gives a volt read out, would that be the same thing?
NO, a battery tender (optimizer) should never be left connected when the motor is started or running, and if it's plugged in to AC power, it will be applying a charge voltage to the battery.

Old 04-19-2014, 03:01 PM
knights
Tourer

cheers charley.
i have seen a friend start his bike with a battery tender plugged in. judging from what you said i assume this is a bad thing. why is this?

also i rode to work tonight, no warning lights, bike started fine.
when i arrived at work, i turned the bike off then started her back up again to see if the battery hadnt died and took a charge riding in. it started fine with no problems.
so im hoping the problem has now gone

Old 04-19-2014, 07:43 PM
alee18
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interested to see what happens. I have the same issue. Check engine light on and battery voltage light. 2 codes I got are P0156 and p0151.

Just bought this bike it was starting fine, took it on the test ride, saw the warning lights come on after 10 mins pulled over to trouble shoot and get these codes. Started the bike, rode it back to his house, turned off the bike. 5 mins started up again with no issues rode it home for about 40mins. Stopped to fill up the gas, after that the bike didn't start, tried to jump start it by pushing and dropping the clutch, didn't work. Good thing a guy had a set of jumper cables and was able to help out. Rode it back home for like a mile, turned off the bike, tried to start it again and it failed to start. I can hear the clicking and turning though.

How do I begin trouble shooting step by step to determine if it's just a bad battery or regulator or stator?

Thanks.

Old 04-19-2014, 11:09 PM
scooter1128
Road Captain

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

charley gave some good advise. I had this same thing happen on my 09 while on a trip. pulled into the nearest dealership and it was my voltage regulator. alee, how old is your battery? first check the basics making sure battery is fully charged, post are clean and cables are tight including the grounds. but chances are with both the service engine and battery light, it may be more than the battery. check the basics first, then check the charging system. I don't have my manual with me now. do you have a service manual? if not, try a search for checking the charging system if there are no stickys for it. I know ive read the procedure here before. good luck

Old 04-20-2014, 12:28 AM
alee18
Cruiser

Originally Posted by scooter1128
charley gave some good advise. I had this same thing happen on my 09 while on a trip. pulled into the nearest dealership and it was my voltage regulator. alee, how old is your battery? first check the basics making sure battery is fully charged, post are clean and cables are tight including the grounds. but chances are with both the service engine and battery light, it may be more than the battery. check the basics first, then check the charging system. I don't have my manual with me now. do you have a service manual? if not, try a search for checking the charging system if there are no stickys for it. I know ive read the procedure here before. good luck

Will try to charge the battery and check ground connection and inspect battery posts for corrosion. Anything else to check before looking into the charging system?

I tried to look for some videos on youtube on how to check the readings on regulator and stator, but wasn't able to find any good ones. The previous owner said the battery is about a year old.

Thanks

Old 04-20-2014, 12:36 AM
alee18
Cruiser

PS. knights, I do not mean to jack your thread, I believe my questions are very much related to yours, so more info is better. However, if there is an issue please let me know I can start another one.

Thanks

Old 04-20-2014, 06:13 AM
knights
Tourer

Originally Posted by alee18
PS. knights, I do not mean to jack your thread, I believe my questions are very much related to yours, so more info is better. However, if there is an issue please let me know I can start another one.

Thanks
hey man very similar issue, no problem here at all.
lets keep going and try to figure this out.

i rode home again last night with no issues and no warning lights.
im praying that my problem have gone. lets hope we can sort yours out

Quick Reply: warning lights