Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Summer Gear

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 05:28 PM
Fairbanksdmt
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Summer Gear

I'm just curious what most of you wear for gear in the summer? I live on the surface of the sun (chandler az) so it gets well over 110 degrees. I wear Draggin Jean Liners (kevlar liners) under my jeans and then long sleeve Draggin Jean Kevlar shirt but very breathable. Any good ideas out there that provide protection without roasting me? I have a Roland Sands Perf leather coat, but that thing would put me in heat stroke mode by June after 10am.

Old 04-16-2014, 05:47 PM
Alleyn
Tourer

I've been dealing with the Az heat on my bike for about 6 years now. And where I used to wear full gear, I have to admit I was slacking last summer. (No jacket)

I still wear riding pants and a helmet, however. The pants are mesh-vented Scorpions, which I can wear about 9 months of the year. (To keep my legs from getting burned on the exhaust.) I tried a couple pairs of Joe Rocket Phoenix 2's, and decided the zippers were junk. IMHO, plan on spending $$ on a good pair of pants, otherwise you won't be wearing them the day you lay it down.

As for the helmet, I went to riding year-round, with a HCI 20. They call it a scooter helmet, but it's a no-frills fiberglass helmet that's DOT approved. The visibility is good, and it's not as stuffy as a full-face.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:32 PM
kingxirol
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Fairbanksdmt
I'm just curious what most of you wear for gear in the summer? I live on the surface of the sun (chandler az) so it gets well over 110 degrees. I wear Draggin Jean Liners (kevlar liners) under my jeans and then long sleeve Draggin Jean Kevlar shirt but very breathable. Any good ideas out there that provide protection without roasting me? I have a Roland Sands Perf leather coat, but that thing would put me in heat stroke mode by June after 10am.
I'm in Austin, TX so we do get our fair share of 3-digit mercury days. For head, I switch to my HD half helmet for my daily work commute and use HJC modular FF helmet for long weekend rides. Have a Cortech riding jacket with plenty of vents so it works alright but in peak summer days, it gets uncomfortable when riding for more than 30-45 minutes. Looking for something that keeps me cooler without compromising the protection. Not really a T-Shirt and shorts kinda guy ... but thats just me.
Nothing special for legs. Just plain old pair of jeans and riding boots work fine all year long

I do wear protective riding gloves as well ...

Old 04-17-2014, 12:15 AM
Fairbanksdmt
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Alleyn
I've been dealing with the Az heat on my bike for about 6 years now. And where I used to wear full gear, I have to admit I was slacking last summer. (No jacket)

I still wear riding pants and a helmet, however. The pants are mesh-vented Scorpions, which I can wear about 9 months of the year. (To keep my legs from getting burned on the exhaust.) I tried a couple pairs of Joe Rocket Phoenix 2's, and decided the zippers were junk. IMHO, plan on spending $$ on a good pair of pants, otherwise you won't be wearing them the day you lay it down.

As for the helmet, I went to riding year-round, with a HCI 20. They call it a scooter helmet, but it's a no-frills fiberglass helmet that's DOT approved. The visibility is good, and it's not as stuffy as a full-face.
Yeah I hear you on the half helmet thing in 110 degree temps. In fact I just ordered an AFX-FX200 half helmet off Revzilla for the coming summer months. If I go full face like I do in the winter I honestly think the heat would affect my ability to concentrate. I will check out the scorps and see if those are a possibility. Thanks

Old 04-17-2014, 01:00 AM
tonymech
Stage I

Hey been lurking for a while and just wanted to throw it out there to look at cycle gear for heat out shirts. They also have freeze out shirts that help in winter. The heat out shirts are really nice and keep you some what cooler.