Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Rider: Thinking of Harley 48. How to go about it

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 12:04 AM
Bowhunter8607
Road Warrior
Received 417 Likes on 322 Posts

I got my 48 in July of 2012. It's my first bike and I had never ridden a street bike before. I was a bit intimidated at first but got used to it real quick. I discovered the small tank was an issue for me when I started riding long distances so I switched to the 4.4 gal tank and still love the look. I dont have any pictures now due to losing all of my pictures when my data card crashed. Once I get it back from the shop I will post some so you can check it out. As for the power, instead of trading it in and losing money I spent more and am currently upgrading the engine to an 88 ci from zippers performance. I cant wait to gwt it back finally. You will love it for your first bike especially once you make it your own with customizing of your choice. Let us know what you finally decide to do and post some pictures of what you get!

Old 05-15-2014, 10:27 AM
kappyK
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with comparing two bikes

Hi everyone,
You guys have encouraged me to buy a 48.

I need some help comparing two bikes, one of which i want to buy

A 2013 Harley 48 with some add-on's like vance and hines exhaust and a K&N filter plus other minor upgrades.

Or

A 2010 Harley 48 just stock bike.

Both have the same miles on them (very low) but the price difference is 2k.

Which one should i go for?

Thanks
Kaps

Old 05-15-2014, 11:41 AM
LonestarXL
Road Captain
Received 287 Likes on 110 Posts

I would go with the stock 2010, ride it some, and then spend $ on upgrades. I would not pay 2k extra for someone else's upgrades and what they thought was important. 2k will buy you a lot of cool stuff that you want.

Old 05-15-2014, 11:54 AM
kappyK
Novice

Thanks LonestarXL. I am leaning towards the 2010, but the upgrades the 2013 bike has, if what i would also end up getting so i am confused

But do you know what is the difference(s) between a 2010 and 2013?

Also, will i be losing resale value on the 2010 if i sell it say in 2-3 years? as compared to the 2013?

Old 05-15-2014, 01:08 PM
Redlegvzv
Stellar HDF Member
Received 691 Likes on 381 Posts

To the OP, you might take a look at the XL1200T with the 4.4 gas tank.

Old 05-15-2014, 01:24 PM
HarleyScuba
Grand HDF Member
Received 125 Likes on 106 Posts

Tough one.
A set of pipes, air cleaner and tune could run 600 bucks and up. If you like the pipes and would get them anyway, is the depreciation between a '10 and a '13 worth 1,400 clams ($2,000 difference in price minus the cost of pipes)? Which one has your preferred color? AFAIK, the '10 and '13 are the same bike (the 2014 models changed a little with the addition of anti-lock brakes).
Has the 2010 been sitting around? Having it sit is worse than mileage. Are there any maintenance records for either bike? Are they the original owner? Are the owners women, newbies or squids? Has either been dropped? Check the ends of the hand levers for scratches (mirrors are easily replaced). Ask the owner how to check the oil and how full do they keep the oil tank. Do they check it hot or cold? If they can't answer those questions, be worried.
Is there any warranty left on the 2013? Who installed the pipes, air cleaner and tune? How did they tune it? Flash the ECM or add-on device?
In my opinion, the best independent shop in the area is in Fredericksburg. Olde Towne Cycle. I know they're a little South, but worth it.
http://oldetownecycle.com/home.html

Last edited by HarleyScuba; 05-15-2014 at 01:37 PM.
Old 05-15-2014, 02:33 PM
kappyK
Novice

Thank you HarleyScuba.

I have been asking some of these questions. Both owners seems to know their bikes and are the original owners. Both have 1000 miles on them.

The 2013 bike has the add-on's i would make, actually i am not very handy, so i will pay for these pipes and cleaner to be installed anyways if i got the stock bike. The guy will also give me the stock pipes and cleaner with the bike.

The 2010 bike is all stock but 2000 dollar difference is the attractive factor. Upfront cost saving is always tough to give up on (specially for me). Also i am a new rider so i can ride the stock bike for 6 months before i make changes.

I am just concerned if paying extra 2000 dollar makes sense, as i might make that up in resale when i sell it in 3 years.

Both owners are guys in the 30's and both bikes look clean and just got servicing done.

Old 05-15-2014, 03:37 PM
Guzzi
Road Warrior
Received 105 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by kappyK
Thanks LonestarXL. I am leaning towards the 2010, but the upgrades the 2013 bike has, if what i would also end up getting so i am confused

But do you know what is the difference(s) between a 2010 and 2013?

Also, will i be losing resale value on the 2010 if i sell it say in 2-3 years? as compared to the 2013?
Run both NADA & Kelly Blue Book values to see which bike is the best deal.

When I bought my 883 Custom, it was a toss up between a 04 & 07 model. Both were priced at $3500, the 04 was cleaner. Resale on the 07 was almost 2K higher.
Drove 200 miles and picked up the 07.

Old 05-15-2014, 04:57 PM
HarleyScuba
Grand HDF Member
Received 125 Likes on 106 Posts

I'm inclined to lean heavy towards the '13, especially if you plan on buying the same pipes. Show up with cash and wave it in his face. If you get a deal, great. If not, move on to the '10 and see what happens. Riding a bike stock has no advantage, other than it's not as noisy. I'm sure whatever you decide will be the right choice.
I grew up in the 70's riding down Kirby Rd and 193 on the back of my Dad's bike. That was our quick-ride-after-dinner route. Plenty of good riding to be had around there. Watch out for the blue-hairs in McLean. They can't see or hear, regardless of your pipes.

Old 05-15-2014, 06:43 PM
Fairbanksdmt
Cruiser

Originally Posted by jmat1980
I got a 48 used a few years ago with 350 miles on it. I love the bike. All my friends have Fat Boys and when ever we are on a trip everyone makes comments about my bike, but not the Fat Boys who cost nearly twice as much...that in itself is worth it...

As for the small gas tank/frequent refuel issue....you will see who your real friends are...the ones who keep stopping with you to refuel!!!

Also, I just put a new nightster fuel tank on (3.3 gal) and it looks sick, plus ive got an extra gal/50 miles now. Here is my bike:
3.3 Nightster Tank
Custom Stitched Solo Seat
HD Black Diamond Pegs
Slotted Levers
V&H Short Shots
Custom (Satin) paint tins
LED Turn Signals
LED fender brake light
Custom Fig Machine Derby Cover, Primary Cover and Inspection Cover & Air Cleaner
LED fender strut lights
Roland Sands Grips

[IMG][/IMG]
You listed your upgrades but it looks like you did drag bars and perhaps a speedo and headlight relocation? If so what did you do, as I like the clean low profile front end of your bike.

Quick Reply: New Rider: Thinking of Harley 48. How to go about it