Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm a rook

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2005, 01:07 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts
Default RE: I'm a rook

I'm Skip, and while I ain't layin' claim to bein' a guru of anything, I rode old Sporties for awhile, and worked on 'em even longer. Forget all the clap-trap you've been told about tha bad old days and AMF. Yeah there were a few problems. But they really weren't all as bad as the rumors would make one think. Besides, the bikes that are still around have generally been gone through several times, so any assembly problems are long gone. And there were really very few engineering problems that haven't been taken care of over the years, either.

Now, about this '76 CH. Is it kick start only, or has somebody added an electric foot? And I'd be very leery of a Sporty that has actually been "bored" from 1000 cc to 1100 cc. There just isn't that much meat in the cylinder walls. Generally, once I went .040 over, I was lookin' for new jugs, even tho HD sez you can go up to .070 over. Now if it has had big bore jugs added, then I wouldn't worry.

The kickstarter is a weak spot. The design is pretty marginal, but it still generally works fine, but when it starts wearing, fix it immediately.

Oil leaks? Not many, and they were usually the result of someone goofing something up. My old '72 CH only leaked out the numerous cracks in the engine cases. Once they were welded up, I was good to go. But this was in a 77 inch stroker motor and I managed to probably blow everything up once or twice 'til I got it figgered out.

That alternator conversion should be a good thing if it is a quality item. The old generators and mechanical regulators left a lot to be desired.

What carb is on this beastie? Originally came with a butterfly Keihin. Easy to work on, and work well enough that I still have one on my '87 Sloptail.

The trannies had several weak spots, especially if you are gonna play hotrod. Otherwise the thing to look for is if it shifts smoothly, and you can find neutral, assuming the clutch is properly adjusted. Look at the lower right rear corner of the tranny. That's a weak spot if someone has been dumping the clutch or power shifting. If it has a piece welded in, don't automatically take a pass, but check the quality of the job. Many times the corner was replaced as a preventive measure. Ask if it has a stock trapdoor; that's another piece that goes boom when Harry Hotrod plays too much.

Remember this old iron will require more maintenance. If it is an original CH oil tank, you will have no oil filter. Change the juice at 2000 miles, and no more than that. It has solid lifters, and they will require adjustment frequently. It ain't hard, but just something that you gotta do. Rear drum brake is a semi-joke. Keep it adjusted and in good repair. Hey, it was OK for its day, but that was 30 years ago! Lessee, what else? Primary & tranny are common to each other, and also the engine oil can interchange with them to some extent; another reason to remember the oil change intervals. Oh, and if it still has the points ignition, they'll need frequent adjustment of the gap and setting for timing.

I hope all this doesn't make you throw up your hands and walk away. Check the bike out, or have it checked out. And most HD shops won't work on something this old. None of their wrenches have any training on 'em. Find an indy that can look at it, if you are unsure about anything.

Anyway, these bikes are fun to ride, and a good one will turn heads. It's already been around 30 years, and oughtta last another couple hundred easy!

Old 09-03-2005, 01:58 AM
clever_21
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

whoa!! now THATS what I call a wealth of info!!

Ok, where to start? How about the beginning? Has electric start though seems to act “funny” maybe a new switch?? Had to hit repeatedly. Never heard the bike run, long story. Though I doubt the guy had me drive 30 mins to look at a bike that he knew wouldn’t start, no spark, figured fried points from possible attempted hot-wire (like I said, long story) Will hear/ride next week
Anyway, has kicker too, though worn out, had a hard time “catching”
Dunno about the bore, just going by what the cat said to me
Big bore jugs added? I dunno that either, I mean every time I bring this up to my g/f I get slapped!

But seriously I really have no idea.

Oil tank looked “boxy” if that helps in aging it, if no oil filter seems I could find a place for a relocation, I assume they make them. However I have no problems in changing every 2000

Adjusting lifters, I have no clue, but I bet I can learn real quick-like!

Brakes? Check!

Trapdoor thing is a heck-of-a help! Didn’t even know to look! Even though I’m not quite sure what exactly a “trap door” is, I know where to locate it (thanks to your help!) and see if there’s a weld

Fairly sure that the local HD shop can work on the ole gal, I THINK it’s one of the biggest if not the biggest in the state. Ok, maybe not the biggest, but pretty darn good

Skip -“Find an Indy that can look at it”

I dunno what an Indy is, but if its what I think it is that might be tough since the bike is out in the boonies

Don’t wanna “throw up my hands and walk away” but I defiantly have a gurgle in my stomach and a burning in the back of my throat [8D]

Old 09-03-2005, 02:29 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts

OK, need to clear a few points up.

XLH was electric start; XLCH was kick start.

The trapdoor is located behind the clutch hub in the primary, which is what's behind the big cover on the left side of the engine. The trapdoor is where all the transmission gears, shafts, etc. mount. The whole shebang is slid into the transmission housing, and the trapdoor is bolted to the cases. You can't see it without removing the primary cover and pulling the clutch apart.

CH was originally kick only, so the electric foot is an add-on. No big deal there. If it ain't working right there are usually 3 culprits; starter switch, starter relay, starter solenoid. Could be the mechanism that engages the starter drive to the ring gear, too. Don't use the kicker unless it is fixed. Old Sporty riders all have "Sportster Knee" and it is a life-long painful condition. Nothing like putting all your weight on the kick lever to start the bike and impress all the push button commandos, only to have the thing slip, hit bottom, and blow your knee up to the size of a basketball.

Boxy oil tank sounds like the original CH tank, if it was pretty much rectangular. If it sorta sticks out on the right side and has a big honkin' cap instead of a small one, it's an electric foot tank. Electric foot oil tank had a drop-in filterunderneath the cap. Wasn't worth spit compared to a "real" oil filter, but better than nothing. Electric start had a car size battery that fit to the left of the oil tank. CH originally had a wee small battery on the left of the oil tank.

An "indy" is an independent shop that specializes in HDs.

Being the idjit that I am, I'd make the trade even if the thing wouldn't start. Nothing like a winter project to keep you off the streets.

Old 09-03-2005, 03:11 AM
clever_21
Intermediate

brain fried

imagination going crazy

going to sleep on it and get back to you tomorrow

small point, only thought it was the XLCH b/c of the sticker/emblem between the front forks. Dunno why it never hit me that maybe that emblem could be wrong( <---bonehead, told ya), however the elec start looked like installed from home as it was under the seat, south of the choke. Did the XLH not come with a kick start?

Man you have been some help, let me tell ya!

Not to say that anyone else hasn’t been

thanks guys, night!

Old 09-03-2005, 08:54 PM
Ragin_Republican
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ok, sounds like now you know the Skip I was talking about.

Old 09-06-2005, 12:09 PM
74_ironhead
Elite HDF Member

my 74 is an xlh it has factory electric start up on the handlebar so i'm pretty sure yours was put on later, and no i don't have a kicker but i am looking in to putting one on. and thanks to skip for helping him out i learned a lot by reading this thread

Old 09-07-2005, 10:32 PM
clever_21
Intermediate
Default UPDATE RE: I'm a rook

Well, according to the cat that owns this old girl, what he thought was burnt points has now turn into a fried coil. Waiting on getting it fixed (maybe tomorrow) So havent went back yet as its 45min away easy.

I'm getting nervous guys. I know this is a HD forum but r u sure this is a good deal. Man, I wish I had a pic to show you.

BTW did some more research and called around. Local big HD dealer probably wont mess with it. Found a Indy (thanks Skip ) and according to him, and i quote, "I have been working on these bikes for over 30 years and I have a shop full of 'em. They are a money pit. Always breaking down. If you go used, get something in the 80's-90's in your price range" <---- This is coming from a HD guy!! But if you read this whole post you'll realize there is no $$ involved, its a trade. Maybe he just wanted me to buy off of him. He did suggest something he had at his store.

Also, had another friend told me they read/heard that Ironheads were alot of trouble. Trying to remember what it looked like, but when saw it i couldnt tell a Panhead from a Shovelhead. I'm pretty sure its an Ironhead though. I looked around the net and cant really find anything negative about Ironheads, or for any HD for that matter.

Guys really appreciate your help! I cant get this bike out of my mind!

I will be viewing this thread like a hawk for the next 24 hours.

thanks again

Old 09-09-2005, 02:51 AM
clever_21
Intermediate
Default RE: UPDATE RE: I'm a rook

bump

Old 09-09-2005, 03:29 AM
clever_21
Intermediate

i know you all are sick of me and my thread but i have another question

what kind of MPG can i expect?

Looking for a rough estimate.

I'm guessing 40-50mpg.

BTW it has straight pipes.

Old 09-13-2005, 12:22 PM
burnie
Tourer

i know you all are sick of me and my thread but i have another question
No need to apologize, I have been learing a load by reading this thread. IT has been a great thread.

Quick Reply: I'm a rook