Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

82hp 74tq good?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 11:28 PM
DrJo2001
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 82hp 74tq good?

Hi everyone. My wifes bike came back from the dyno last week with numbers I thought were lower than expected but I've had few guys tell me it was a good number. It's a 06 xl1200 with se536 cams, Sampson 2-1 and a tc88a. what do you think?

DrJo

Old 04-02-2014, 02:07 AM
chgofirefighter
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

SE Cams??? Well, thats the first bad mistake. Woods, Andrews would be a better choice. My bike pulls over 105hp and 94+hp torque... But those numbers aren't that bad IMO, unless of course you want to heavily modify your bike, spend over 5k in engine work, like I did! Well, per se, I didn't spend that much but the previous owner did...

Old 04-02-2014, 07:55 AM
dwagar
Road Master
Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

I think those are good numbers. You should be happy with that.

IMO beware the numbers chase. You can spend a lot of money for bragging rights, and most people never ride in the range that those numbers start to kick in.

Old 04-02-2014, 08:18 AM
Wi_Duker
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chgofirefighter
SE Cams??? Well, thats the first bad mistake. Woods, Andrews would be a better choice. My bike pulls over 105hp and 94+hp torque... But those numbers aren't that bad IMO, unless of course you want to heavily modify your bike, spend over 5k in engine work, like I did! Well, per se, I didn't spend that much but the previous owner did...
Bizaare
I spent under 2 grand and I bet I hit 100 hp

Old 04-02-2014, 08:40 AM
ib5150
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I learned a longtime ago Not to chase Dyno numbers it appears not all dyno's or the technicians that run them are the same, to truly get somewhat of a good idea of what the numbers are it takes three different dyno's with three different technicians at three different locations and even then the numbers will not match but it should give you an idea of what they are..

Old 04-02-2014, 11:25 AM
Madnss
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,107 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJo2001
Hi everyone. My wifes bike came back from the dyno last week with numbers I thought were lower than expected but I've had few guys tell me it was a good number. It's a 06 xl1200 with se536 cams, Sampson 2-1 and a tc88a. what do you think?

DrJo

Those are very respectable numbers if all that is on the bike is pipe, air cleaner and some chicken cams. nice job. Sampson caliber pipe?

Old 04-02-2014, 11:28 AM
Madnss
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by chgofirefighter

chicken 497, 536 and 575 cams are some of the best out there. Andrews cams suck. They have the n-4 thats proven itself, the rest suck except for a few big lift cams for monster engines.

Please enlighten us on what andrews and woods cams will go into his 06 1200 with stock valve springs? besides the n4 and crappy n6

Old 04-02-2014, 11:34 AM
Madnss
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by ib5150
I learned a longtime ago Not to chase Dyno numbers it appears not all dyno's or the technicians that run them are the same, to truly get somewhat of a good idea of what the numbers are it takes three different dyno's with three different technicians at three different locations and even then the numbers will not match but it should give you an idea of what they are..

I disagree somewhat. There are a lot of variables...thats for sure. On my hammer builds i am with in a few hp of what they tell me the bike should bring.

Maybe i should say this, there are a lot of shops out there with dynos......cough....hd shops that dont put a full tune on the bike. beat every last once out of it.

The dyno is a tool for tuning. nothing wrong with chasing numbers as long as you keep using the same dyno. Most guys give up on the dyno chasing numbers because it can get expensive and most fail at it.

Old 04-02-2014, 10:03 PM
DrJo2001
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Madnss
Those are very respectable numbers if all that is on the bike is pipe, air cleaner and some chicken cams. nice job. Sampson caliber pipe?
Yes, it's a caliber. I was thinking of putting a HSR42 on it but the dyno guy said I'd be wasting my money. He said I'd be better off with some headwork and different pistons and then showed me a bunch of their "flow" numbers from past customers heads and also showed me the dyno results after. He was pretty confident I could see low 90's for HP and mid 80's for tq. What do you think? Is he blowing smoke or?

Doc

Old 04-03-2014, 11:30 AM
Madnss
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by DrJo2001
Yes, it's a caliber. I was thinking of putting a HSR42 on it but the dyno guy said I'd be wasting my money. He said I'd be better off with some headwork and different pistons and then showed me a bunch of their "flow" numbers from past customers heads and also showed me the dyno results after. He was pretty confident I could see low 90's for HP and mid 80's for tq. What do you think? Is he blowing smoke or?

Doc

i think a 42 mikuni is a great idea for any bike....mild to wild. He can put you in head work then you have a stock carb that will work but really wont get full potential from the engine.

I could care less about flow numbers......you can punch a hole threw a garbage can and it will flow big numbers....doesnt always mean it will make power.

He is blowing smoke....haha.......with that pipe, a 42 mikuni, your chicken cams matching pistons to good head work that bike capable of a 100hp plus pretty easy. Esp with 1200 rubbermount heads.

Im partial to these guys but read up on this. These guys deliver power in any level you want and its pretty good bang for your buck.

http://hammerperf.com/883conversions.shtml

Quick Reply: 82hp 74tq good?