Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pipes and Air, now what tuner?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 04:37 PM
bigmant
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Pipes and Air, now what tuner?

Hey guys,

Just bought some vance and hines big radius and new Stage 1 air cleaner. I'm going to need a remap once everything is on, but I'm not sure as to which way to go.

I'm not really a big performance junkie, so this will be the last performance mod I do. But what is the best way to get the bike remapped? I can get an ECM flash from harley for $150, which the man said would calibrate it for new pipes and air. Will that get the bike running right or is it complete crap? If it will get the bike from running lean to normal, then I feel like that's the way I should go, even if its leaving a lot of hp and torque on the table. I don't want to spend more than $200 to get this done, but depending on what you all say I might have to haha.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Old 03-31-2014, 05:10 PM
IMJames
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

would be interested to know myself. i'm holding off on pipes for this exact reason

Old 03-31-2014, 05:16 PM
Glock Man
Cruiser

The dealer flash only sets everything back to stock settings,per the EPA....waste of money.The Xied for $100.00 is enough if you don't plan on any more mods,a 10 minute install at home.From there it gets into $200,$300,$400 and up for an add on fueler.There are tons of posts here that favor one or the other,read them and then deside.

Glock Man

Old 03-31-2014, 06:36 PM
DK Custom Products
Sponsor
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Like Glock Man said, you can get a XIED or VIED and it will add enough fuel for your stage 1 upgrade. The dealer downlosd is still too lean.

The best choice is the VIED, because it will let you dial in to what fuel level is best for your riding style. You can read more on it at this LINK.

If you just want to plug it in and leave it alone, you can use the XIED. You can read more about it at this LINK.

Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 03-31-2014, 09:08 PM
bigmant
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

After doing some more reading, I have a question. I see a lot about how the XIED only covers the closed loop system, so what happens when you get outside of that? The way people make it sound is that the bike will barely function or something when you launch hard from a red light and such?

What is the reality? Sure I won't be getting peak performance out of plug in fixes like XIED, but 90% of the driving you do will be fine. But how is that other 10%? What is the bike going to do during those times when you open up the throttle and such? Thanks all

Old 04-01-2014, 07:27 AM
stonehouse
Novice

I had a PowerCommander (and tuning) dropped in for the exact reason that I didn't want to keep paying Harley for Downloads. The unit itself I think was $350, had it installed + dyno tuned at the shop. I think the Stealership also offers you firmware for your exhaust + AC, and then for another $100 they'll do dynamic throttle ranges based on A+F.
No complaints with the PC. I had originally bought VH Fuelpack, but took it back after the Mechanic @ the Shop showed me dyno results for VH indicating that there was little/no difference after dropping it in.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:35 AM
USMC_ech110
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I did pipes and A/C last year, installed the XiED and have had nothing but good results.

Old 04-01-2014, 09:02 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,213 Likes on 2,449 Posts

Originally Posted by bigmant
After doing some more reading, I have a question. I see a lot about how the XIED only covers the closed loop system, so what happens when you get outside of that? The way people make it sound is that the bike will barely function or something when you launch hard from a red light and such?

What is the reality? Sure I won't be getting peak performance out of plug in fixes like XIED, but 90% of the driving you do will be fine. But how is that other 10%? What is the bike going to do during those times when you open up the throttle and such? Thanks all
The reality is that in open loop, the EPA does not mandate that the bike run lean. Closed loop is where the bike is too lean and where the XiED products primarily work, to get the AFR richened up a bit.

The XiED products work WITH the HD ECM, keeping the same tune, but in Closed Loop they add about 6% more fuel to get the bike out of the lean area, into a close to ideal area, where the bike will run better (cooler and stronger).

When you twist the wick and go into Open Loop, the HD tune is already very good (the epa has not required it to be too lean there...so the Motor Company has a good tune there already).

When you add free flowing pipes and air cleaner, it will get leaner in open loop too, but not nearly as bad as it does in closed loop. The XiED products fix that in closed loop.

What most people do not know is that the HD ECM has what is called Adaptive Learning, which utilizes Long Term Fuel Trim (LTFT). When the XiED product is paired with the ECM in closed loop it makes adjustments to increase the fuel in Closed Loop. At the same time it is also learning and adjusting the LTFT to make it also run richer in Open Loop.

So with using an XiED product, it is enriching the AFR in Closed AND Open Loop. It is not noticed as much in Open Loop because it is not dangerously lean in Open Loop like it is in Closed Loop.

There are some people that are very vocally opposed to the XiED...some of them understand how it works (and just don't like leaving power on the table), most do not.

The XiED products are NOT the best way to get an ideal tune with a Stock or Stage 1 bike, but they are 90% as good as a full tuner at 10-20% of the cost.

For many, who don't need every bit of available power, or are tight on $, they are the ideal solution to the EPA mandated too lean factory tune.

For others, the extra $ and effort of a flash tuner is worth it to get the very most power out of their bikes.

There is actually quite a bit more information on this subject, but I tried to keep this explanation short, just hitting the highlights.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Last edited by DK Custom; 04-01-2014 at 09:04 AM.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:22 AM
jdub099
Road Captain

My experience with my 2008 Nightster was that it was still lean in open loop with Stage 1 Mods. This is verified by a dyno and wideband. As lean as 15.9:1, which in my opinion is dangerous.

Old 04-01-2014, 09:34 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,213 Likes on 2,449 Posts

Originally Posted by jdub099
My experience with my 2008 Nightster was that it was still lean in open loop with Stage 1 Mods. This is verified by a dyno and wideband. As lean as 15.9:1, which in my opinion is dangerous.
Yep, here is a chart that shows just what you experienced....15.5:1 and this is Stock!

Quick Reply: Pipes and Air, now what tuner?