Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pipes and Air, now what tuner?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 09:06 AM
Dusty Bones
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bigmant
Has anyone ever heard of someone on this forum actually do that with a one of the quick fix tuners? Ive done a lot of searching and haven't seen that yet. I'll be doing a 8000 mile around the country trip in may, and I want to know if the bike can handle it. The economy gains in mpg for pipes and air cleaners are nice, but not of the bike melts down underneath me lol
If you mean the IED products as being the quick fix, they will help keep heat down. I did not believe it would with such little extra fuel but it does. At long waits in traffic it takes much longer for things to heat up, and to get to operating temp while in the road. If you are worried about heat the IEDs will help a lot on the heat issue. On my bike it makes a difference. Just order them, put them on and go do your ride. You won't have to worry about anything other than a good time.

Old 04-03-2014, 09:25 AM
bigmant
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's probably the route I'm going to go at this point. I think I'll throw it on and write up a comprehensive review about how the bike acts and feels with the new tuner. It won't be as scientific as a dyno, but it might help alleviate some of the debates that people have been having with this issue. I'll try to post up some video as well.

Old 04-03-2014, 09:42 AM
jdub099
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

but it might help alleviate some of the debates that people have been having with this issue.
An opinion/review, without scientific evidence, from someone who- by their admission- is new to Harley EFI systems, is going to alleviate some of the debates?

Honestly that IS the problem here. Lots of opinion, very little evidence.

As for the $400-1000 thing, the tuner for my Street Bob was $199, came loaded with a map that should optimize the a/f ratio for my intake/exhaust, has unlimited map support, can be easily tuned by the user, and accepts any PC-V fuel map.

Last edited by jdub099; 04-03-2014 at 09:46 AM.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:31 AM
Dusty Bones
Banned

Originally Posted by jdub099

Honestly that IS the problem here. Lots of opinion, very little evidence.
And thats the other problem. Someone asks a question and they get real life on the road this is what it does for my bike (from many people) reports, then someone comes along and says bullshit, this is what the tuners advertisement says.

Reality is he can ride the bike as is from the dealer on his 8,000 mile trip and be better than just fine. It will run perfect. Even if the entire 8k mile trip was 100F air temp. Besides that he is not running a street bob that gets waaay hotter than a sportster no matter what tune you throw at it. The sportster is not a schorcher engine.

The IED product has been proven over and over to add fuel, and cool the motor, even with only 6-8% more fuel, it does more than the small number would indicate.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:58 AM
jdub099
Road Captain

"Running cooler" is meaningless to me. I want a proper a/f ratio under all conditions. An IED product is not capable of doing this. Period. If you have not measured your A/F ratio, your opinion is meaningless. Period. This isn't based on an advertisement. It's based on common sense.

Old 04-03-2014, 11:14 AM
riderboy1961
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Dusty Bones
You can just pry it out from the front, easiest way is to pull the cover and push it out. You can't miss it. Then just drill holes where ever you can. I did a bunch of half inch and it will make a difference how much air it will get.

Stock filters will last along time washing them.
Dusty Bones;
I have a FXDWG, I pulled my air cleaner cover to take a look, I have the air filter bolted onto the black plastic backing plate/snorkel,
1) are you saying pull the backing plate/snorkel (all one piece on my bike) then re attach the air cleaner?
2) And... where are you drilling your holes, in the air cleaner itself?
I am going to order the [FL-ViED-10] and install so the bike does not run too lean, I like that we can adjust it our selves. What I am thinking I may end up doing is upgrading to a Free'er flowing K&N air filter and cutting that Cat out of the header collector, I need to get the bike loud enough so the cagers can hear me around them, I have already had some close calls out on the road and I am sure it's because the bike so Quiet.
Thanks for the help bro, Bo

Old 04-03-2014, 11:28 AM
Dusty Bones
Banned

Originally Posted by riderboy1961
Dusty Bones;
I have a FXDWG, I pulled my air cleaner cover to take a look, I have the air filter bolted onto the black plastic backing plate/snorkel,
1) are you saying pull the backing plate/snorkel (all one piece on my bike) then re attach the air cleaner?
2) And... where are you drilling your holes, in the air cleaner itself?
I am going to order the [FL-ViED-10] and install so the bike does not run too lean, I like that we can adjust it our selves. What I am thinking I may end up doing is upgrading to a Free'er flowing K&N air filter and cutting that Cat out of the header collector, I need to get the bike loud enough so the cagers can hear me around them, I have already had some close calls out on the road and I am sure it's because the bike so Quiet.
Thanks for the help bro, Bo
Allow me to face palm myself and call myself stupid and then laugh at myself. I mever looked to see what bike you have. I can only imagine what went through your head when you looked lol. I assumed you were talking avoit a sportster, look what happens when things are assumed.

Please accept my apology. I need to go for a ride to clear my head now.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:45 PM
riderboy1961
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Dusty Bones
Allow me to face palm myself and call myself stupid and then laugh at myself. I mever looked to see what bike you have. I can only imagine what went through your head when you looked lol. I assumed you were talking avoit a sportster, look what happens when things are assumed.

Please accept my apology. I need to go for a ride to clear my head now.
It's All Good!!

Old 04-05-2014, 02:50 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,214 Likes on 2,450 Posts

WOW, I have not seen this thread since I posted in it a few days ago...lots of posts.

No... I was open loop. Throttle was at WOT and it was 15.9:1 right in the middle of the RPM range.

That is very unusual, makes me think there was a leak somewhere...or was it a read that was just there for a second while the ECM caught up with the o2 read?

Factory AFR ranges between 12.5:1 - 13.8:1 in WOT, and a free flow Air Cleaner and Pipes is very unlikely to bump that up to 15.9:1 for any significant period of time.

Problem with this debate is that it is almost entirely free of evidence other than "my bike ran fine when I did [insert something]." If everyone put their bike on a dyno with a wideband the debate about tuners wouldn't be much of a debate. You'd have ones that worked and ones that didn't. Unfortunately if you ask enough people on these forums you will find out that every tuner is both awesome and crap simultaneously, all with no concrete evidence to prove it one way or the other.
I agree with you on the above statement. NO ONE, has posted any evidence of anything working, except myself.

The XIED will only make his bike not run lean in closed loop, which is everywhere but WOT. XIEDs do not have any effect on open loop operation.
The above statement is absolutely false.

I tried to explain it in brief in my previous post. I will put the full explanation of how XiED products work and have a significant, measurable, positive effect in open loop down at the bottom of this post.

Originally Posted by pjgoeman
Does the adaptive learn feature of the ECM happen continuosly and constantly update or does it learn for some period of time and then freeze it's settings? If it freezes should you disconnect the battery to force it to relearn after you make a modification like new slip ons, etc.
It is always doing it.

It's important to keep in mind that AFV is meant to compensate for things like changes in fuel, altitude, weather, aging of components- minor variations. It can't compensate for changing your intake/exhaust.
The ECM is constantly adjusting, and while it cannot adjust to give the most ideal tune, it can certainly keep the tune "out of the danger zone" for most conditions encountered, whether it is fuel, elevation, free flowing A/C and exhaust. Remember, a combination of fuel, heat, elevation, old plugs or plug wires can make more of a difference to the engine than adding a free flowing air cleaner & pipes.

We are talking about Sportster in this thread, NOT Twin Cams.

So I'll ask again, are we just talking about a slight loss of performance or something that is going to be eventually crippling for the bike? Like I said before, I'm not interested in getting peak performance, but I am very concerned about the longevity of the bike.
Be nice if someone answered my question at the top of this page lol
Going with free flowing a/c, free flowing pipes and an XiED product will give you about 90% of the available power you will get from a full tuner. While NOT crippling, it is not as great performance wise since you are leaving some available power on the table. However, as far as the longevity, it is immeasurable how small a benefit you can gain with a full blown tuner over an XiED product, if any at all.

Has anyone ever heard of someone on this forum actually do that with a one of the quick fix tuners? Ive done a lot of searching and haven't seen that yet. I'll be doing a 8000 mile around the country trip in may, and I want to know if the bike can handle it. The economy gains in mpg for pipes and air cleaners are nice, but not of the bike melts down underneath me lol
Again, we are talking Sportster here (not Twin Cams, they are a completely different animal)....I have personally dealt with thousands of sporsters, and I have Never heard of anyone on this forum, or elsewhere, have a heat related engine malfunction, or "early" failure due to wear and tear, that was due to running an XiED product vs. a full tuner.

Those who know me know I ride very hard. Summer time we can have 30+ continuous days that don't drop below 90*. I have run XiED product on one of my Sportys for 3 years, a bit over 20K miles and never had a issue. When I pulled apart the engine to do a 1250 upgrade it was in great condition.

"Running cooler" is meaningless to me. I want a proper a/f ratio under all conditions. An IED product is not capable of doing this. Period. If you have not measured your A/F ratio, your opinion is meaningless. Period. This isn't based on an advertisement. It's based on common sense.
"Running cooler" is completely subjective, therefore not very useful in an objective conversation about what is ideal for an engine. It is useful in that it is describing a condition that is better than the condition it was in before when it was "running hotter".

The only way to know, with absolute certainty, if your AFR is in a good range is by using a sniffer to read the AFR. Which is why I posted the AFR chart above.

One final note, there are many magazine articles that have been published over the last few years, documenting that the ECM will adjust for free flowing A/C and pipes and the AFR will still be in "acceptable" MOCO range. Of course, most of us realize that it will not perform nearly as well as we would like, AND that the overall life expectancy will be shorter due to increased heat (even if it is in the "acceptable" range for MOCO).

Below is an article I wrote awhile back showing, in detail, how the ECM learns/adjusts-

The following information is based on conversations with our HD contact, our Delphi contact, HD Service Manuals, HD SEPST Documentation, TTS Documentation, and my own synthesis of years of experience with thousands of bikes.

It is probably not enough for some that may want a written explanation from HD or Delphi, but hopefully it will be of assistance to some in understanding HD Fuel Injection processes.

There may be some confusion regarding the term Adaptive Learning.

There are two ways the Electronic Control Module (ECM) adapts:

First, let's look at what input the ECM receives, so we know what it has to work with to make any "Adaptive" changes-

1. CKP - (Crankshaft Position Sensor): Basically this sensor monitors the crankshaft speed and position. The ECM uses the inputs from the sensor to determine what stroke the engine is in so it can deliver the fuel and spark at the desired time...

2. MAP - (Manifold Absolute Pressure): The ECM uses the inputs from this sensor to help calculate how much air is entering the engine.

3. IAT - (Intake Air Temperature): The ECM uses the inputs from this sensor to help calculate how much oxygen exists in a particular volume of air..

4. ET - (Engine Temperature): The ECM uses the inputs from this sensor to determine engine temperature...

5. TP - (Throttle Position): Provides input to the ECM as it reacts to throttle shaft rotation... These signals indicate throttle position, if the throttle is opening or closing and how fast it is opening and closing...

6. VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor): Provides input signals to the ECM to indicate the speed of the motorcycle...

7. BAS (Bank Angle Sensor): If the motorcycle leans over more than 45 degree's from vertical... If the ECM receives this input for more than one second it assumes the motorcycle has fallen over and shuts down the fuel management and ignition circuit...

8. O2 Sensor: The are switching type sensors (stock HD's are narrow band sensors used in closed loop systems) they provide inputs to the ECM based on the amount of oxygen is being sent in the exhaust system...

9. ISS (Ion Sensing System): It detects detonation or engine misfire in either the front or rear cylinder by monitoring the electrical energy at the spark plug following every time spark...If an abnormal level of energy is detected across two or three spark firings the ECM responds by retarding the spark timing in the affected cylinder as needed to eliminate it... (Sportster do NOT have this feature)

All of the above sensors give data to the ECM to allow it to ADAPT to the ever-changing environment. This is one of the ways the ECM ADAPTS.

The second way the ECM ADAPTS is via "Adaptive Fuel Value" or "Adaptive Fuel" (reference the HD brand Tuners to see that this is a feature of the ECM) This is commonly what is referred to as the Adaptive Learning Mode.

Adaptive Fuel is known generally in the EFI world as Long Term Fuel Trim (LTFT).

When in closed loop the ECM uses the information from the above list to calculate airflow, load, temperatures, throttle position, to adapt and maintain the targeted AFR in the closed loop section of the map.

It then uses the o2 sensors to determine what the AFR actually is. If there is a difference, the ECM makes an adjustment real time to the closed loop map, AND stores the difference in an "Adaptive Fuel Value" cell for future use in Open Loop. (again, reference the HD Brand Tuners to verify that there is an Adaptive Fuel Value" that is stored in the ECM and that is constantly changing)

Over time (sources vary between 30-120 minutes of riding) the Adaptive Fuel Value develops a correction profile that is applied to each cell of the map in open loop.

To put it another way, when the ECM sees the closed loop values constantly being richer than expected (like when using an XiED family product), the Long Term Fuel Trim (Adaptive Fuel Value) is increased, resulting in a richening up of the open loop values.

I hope this helps those looking for a clearer understanding of the HD EFI.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Last edited by DK Custom; 04-06-2014 at 01:50 PM.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:30 AM
jdub099
Road Captain

Good explanation. I believe what you're saying is true about HOW the ECM works, but I need more evidence to believe the degree to which it can adapt. Knight Rider advocates and sells a wideband o2 sensor system. Most of the people on these forums who recommend various tuners have never had a wideband anywhere near their bike. Coming from an EFI motorsports background I don't really believe impressions, gut feelings, etc. I believe data acquired from instruments.

Last edited by jdub099; 04-07-2014 at 08:34 AM.

Quick Reply: Pipes and Air, now what tuner?