Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pipes and Air, now what tuner?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 12:12 PM
jdub099
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chriscchristoph
His question is regarding the use of an xied, which will do the opposite of make his engine run lean. You're obviously not good at reading things in context.
The XIED will only make his bike not run lean in closed loop, which is everywhere but WOT. XIEDs do not have any effect on open loop operation.

At WOT, in open loop, it will run lean with Stage 1 mods. At least this was the case for me.

I have the dyno run and A/F graph to prove it.

You're obviously not good at reading comprehension in general.

Last edited by jdub099; 04-01-2014 at 12:14 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:28 PM
zZeduardoZz
Cruiser

I have been reading all these things as a newbie who just got his first Harley and a lot of these things have been very helpful to learn some new things, I want to get the Stage 1 kit for my bike, and have been looking at the different opinions about XiEds and stuff, so how is that towards performance, does it change the top speed, makes the bike faster? And does the Xieds require professional installation? or you can just install that with the air kit and the pipes on your own?

thanks

Old 04-01-2014, 12:39 PM
bigmant
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jdub099
The XIED will only make his bike not run lean in closed loop, which is everywhere but WOT. XIEDs do not have any effect on open loop operation.

At WOT, in open loop, it will run lean with Stage 1 mods. At least this was the case for me.

I have the dyno run and A/F graph to prove it.

You're obviously not good at reading comprehension in general.
So since you have the dyno sheets, how lean is the open loop running? Is it bad enough to seriously damage the engine? I feel like I don't go WOT enough for this to really hurt the engine, and the one or two times, let's say a month, that I do I can't imagine it doing any real damage in that short of a time. Am I right or am I way off base?

Old 04-01-2014, 01:36 PM
riderboy1961
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Dusty Bones
I punched out the baffle discs and pulled the snorkel restrictor on the ham can and drilled enough holes to get much more air at the air cleaner. l.
Dusty Bones;
What is involved to pull the "snorkel restrictor on the ham can" & Where exactly did you "drill those holes" the backing plate? Free mods I can do myself are my favorites. I already shortened my baffles to 6" long, pulled the Fiberglass packing from the muffler pipes and reinstalled the baffles with rivets. My owners manual says I can re use the stock air cleaner, its says to rinse/wash it in light soap/detergent. rinse thouroghly and let dry or blow dry. I guess the stock paper air intake filters are built different than they used to be?
Thanks

Last edited by riderboy1961; 04-01-2014 at 02:16 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:38 PM
pjgoeman
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Does the adaptive learn feature of the ECM happen continuosly and constantly update or does it learn for some period of time and then freeze it's settings? If it freezes should you disconnect the battery to force it to relearn after you make a modification like new slip ons, etc.

Old 04-01-2014, 03:04 PM
jdub099
Road Captain

It is always doing it.

It's important to keep in mind that AFV is meant to compensate for things like changes in fuel, altitude, weather, aging of components- minor variations. It can't compensate for changing your intake/exhaust.

Old 04-01-2014, 04:25 PM
bigmant
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

But again, are we just talking about a slight loss of performance or something that is going to be eventually crippling for the bike? Like I said before, I'm not interested in getting peak performance, but I am very concerned about the longevity of the bike.

Old 04-01-2014, 04:36 PM
Dusty Bones
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by riderboy1961
Dusty Bones; What is involved to pull the "snorkel restrictor on the ham can" & Where exactly did you "drill those holes" the backing plate? Free mods I can do myself are my favorites. I already shortened my baffles to 6" long, pulled the Fiberglass packing from the muffler pipes and reinstalled the baffles with rivets. My owners manual says I can re use the stock air cleaner, its says to rinse/wash it in light soap/detergent. rinse thouroghly and let dry or blow dry. I guess the stock paper air intake filters are built different than they used to be? Thanks
You can just pry it out from the front, easiest way is to pull the cover and push it out. You can't miss it. Then just drill holes where ever you can. I did a bunch of half inch and it will make a difference how much air it will get.

Stock filters will last along time washing them.

Old 04-01-2014, 04:38 PM
Dusty Bones
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jdub099
It is always doing it. It's important to keep in mind that AFV is meant to compensate for things like changes in fuel, altitude, weather, aging of components- minor variations. It can't compensate for changing your intake/exhaust.
That's what tuner advertisements say, gets people to buy their product. Go to nite rider and read up on how the stock Harley tune does relearn for pipes and intake.

Old 04-01-2014, 07:14 PM
jdub099
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Dusty Bones
That's what tuner advertisements say, gets people to buy their product. Go to nite rider and read up on how the stock Harley tune does relearn for pipes and intake.

Good luck with that...

Also point me to where on their website it says that it can learn for an exhaust system and intake. Couldn't find that. I did find this:

If you are one of the many motorcyclist’s that make changes to the exhaust system, air filter, camshaft(s) or other engine components, you’ll need to find a way to alter the fuel map.
I think maybe you did not understand their website.

Last edited by jdub099; 04-01-2014 at 07:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Pipes and Air, now what tuner?