Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 03:25 PM
Iron_PR
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help!

Hi fellow riders...
I have a 2014 Iron 883. Installed V/H short shots and the Xied fuel management plug that i read in a past post was recommended. I took the bike for a spin to try the pipes but once it get to 40-50mph it starts like stalling. It feels like i let go of the throttle and the rev it up again and it takes off. Could it be the setting on the xied? i have it setup according to instructions. Im a new Harley owner and dont know much about motorcycles. Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 03-28-2014, 03:52 PM
USMC_ech110
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

what type of A/C are you running?

you shouldn't need XiED if you changed ONLY your exhaust.

Old 03-28-2014, 05:53 PM
Iron_PR
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont have have an AC on it just the pipes...so i should just remove the Xied then and it will go away?

Old 03-28-2014, 06:18 PM
USMC_ech110
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Its worth a try. Until you upgrade the A/C, you shouldn't need the XiED to change you air/gas mixture. I didn't install mine until I swapped A/C's. My buddy runs his 2010 with the V&H short shots and no XiED with zero issues.

The other thing is....don't the 2014 have a catalytic converter? This may cause some issues too. Hopefully someone else will chime in on this.

Old 03-28-2014, 06:21 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,221 Likes on 2,456 Posts

Originally Posted by Iron_PR
Hi fellow riders...
I have a 2014 Iron 883. Installed V/H short shots and the Xied fuel management plug that i read in a past post was recommended. I took the bike for a spin to try the pipes but once it get to 40-50mph it starts like stalling. It feels like i let go of the throttle and the rev it up again and it takes off. Could it be the setting on the xied? i have it setup according to instructions. Im a new Harley owner and dont know much about motorcycles. Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks!
A bone stock Iron will run better with the proper XiED product than without it. Adding the Short Shots, along with the XiED product, will make it run better than without it. The factory tune is so lean, and the XiED product is add a bit of fuel. Is it NEEDED? No, but it will run better.

The problem you mentioned is either an incorrect installation, and adjustment needed, or something un-related to the XiED product.

What gear are you in at 40-50 mph when you get the surging? Also, how full is your gas tank?

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 03-28-2014, 07:04 PM
Von_Zipper
Road Warrior
Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Factory bikes were made run lean before catalytic converters. To conform with emission standards. I see no reason why factory maps could be lean if you have catalytic converters.
XiED is a big bluff anyway, only those who do not know what they are talking about (and those who sell them) think they are worth the money.

Old 03-28-2014, 09:08 PM
TexasScooterTrash
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,395 Likes on 855 Posts

XIED wires trick the O2 sensors into reading the exhaust as too lean and richen it up. No voodoo, just a simple way to make it run cooler and improve throttle response. I used them on my 07 Street Bob for 5 years, till I took off the EFI and went to a CV 40. Nice thing with the XIED, they work very well with stock motors. Are you throwing any Error Codes? Might try to disconnect the battery, reconnect and let it re-learn what it needs to do.

Old 03-28-2014, 09:42 PM
Von_Zipper
Road Warrior

First, the whole XiED cost is about $1 to manufacture. If you have any electronic experience you could solder it together using spare resistors from your drawer at no cost. The trouble with the whole idea is it will richen your mixture in low throttle positions regardless whether is needed or not. As a result, it will kill your fuel economy for instance. On the other hand, when you open your throttle more your ECU will go into open loop mode and XiED will be rendered useless.
Meaning if you upgrade to better exhaust your mixture will be lean and it will potentially damage your engine with throttle wide open.

Now, all above was true with no catalytic converters bikes.

If your bike has catalytic converters your factory fuel maps are different, they are tuned for performance instead of emissions (as it was in past).

Thus, installing XiED to your new bike is complete nonsense, not to mention it was a bare cosmetic measure with non-catalytic converter bikes.

I foresee lots of wannabe pundits and XiED sellers chiming in stating I'm all wrong.
Well, they've got to do what they've got to do.
Use your better judgement.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:02 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,221 Likes on 2,456 Posts

VZ-

I am sure you believe what you wrote, and I mean no dis-respect to you, however, every statement you made about XiED's & how HD EFI works is false.

While I have no hope of convincing you otherwise, others who read this thread should not be mislead by your well meant, but erroneous post. (you were right about others chiming in. )

There is more than $1 of materials in an XiED product. I have never broken it down, so I cannot give an exact cost, but just the Four HD matched waterproof connectors, let alone the wire, heat shrink tube and resistors cost substantially more than $1, and of course this does not include labor.

It is reasonable for the company that makes them, and owns a patent on them, to make a profit, as it is for those who sell them (like us).

But to the meat of the matter....your description of how HD EFI works, with or without, catalytic converters is inaccurate. Without getting into all the details, just look at the chart below.

This is a 2012 HD, bone stock, WITH catalytic converters. It is clear that in closed loop (where 90% of all riding is done) that the tune is Too Lean, fluctuating between 14.7:1 and 15.5:1.

With the XiED product plugged in, it is almost perfect at a 14.0:1 AFR.

For anyone that would like to read more about how HD EFI works, and how what is adjusted in closed loop Also makes adjustments in Open Loop, below the chart is an article I wrote about a year ago on the subject

Article-

The following information is based on conversations with our HD contact, our Delphi contact, HD Service Manuals, HD SEPST Documentation, TTS Documentation, and my own synthesis of years of experience with thousands of bikes.

It is probably not enough for some that may want a written explanation from HD or Delphi, but hopefully it will be of assistance to some in understanding HD Fuel Injection processes.

There may be some confusion regarding the term Adaptive Learning.

There are two ways the Electronic Control Module (ECM) adapts:

First, let's look at what input the ECM receives, so we know what it has to work with to make any "Adaptive" changes-

1. CKP - (Crankshaft Position Sensor): Basically this sensor monitors the crankshaft speed and position. The ECM uses the inputs from the sensor to determine what stroke the engine is in so it can deliver the fuel and spark at the desired time...

2. MAP - (Manifold Absolute Pressure): The ECM uses the inputs from this sensor to help calculate how much air is entering the engine.

3. IAT - (Intake Air Temperature): The ECM uses the inputs from this sensor to help calculate how much oxygen exists in a particular volume of air..

4. ET - (Engine Temperature): The ECM uses the inputs from this sensor to determine engine temperature...

5. TP - (Throttle Position): Provides input to the ECM as it reacts to throttle shaft rotation... These signals indicate throttle position, if the throttle is opening or closing and how fast it is opening and closing...

6. VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor): Provides input signals to the ECM to indicate the speed of the motorcycle...

7. BAS (Bank Angle Sensor): If the motorcycle leans over more than 45 degree's from vertical... If the ECM receives this input for more than one second it assumes the motorcycle has fallen over and shuts down the fuel management and ignition circuit...

8. O2 Sensor: The are switching type sensors (stock HD's are narrow band sensors used in closed loop systems) they provide inputs to the ECM based on the amount of oxygen is being sent in the exhaust system...

9. ISS (Ion Sensing System): It detects detonation or engine misfire in either the front or rear cylinder by monitoring the electrical energy at the spark plug following every time spark...If an abnormal level of energy is detected across two or three spark firings the ECM responds by retarding the spark timing in the affected cylinder as needed to eliminate it...

All of the above sensors give data to the ECM to allow it to ADAPT to the ever-changing environment. This is one of the ways the ECM ADAPTS.

The second way the ECM ADAPTS is via "Adaptive Fuel Value" or "Adaptive Fuel" (reference the HD brand Tuners to see that this is a feature of the ECM) This is commonly what is referred to as the Adaptive Learning Mode.

Adaptive Fuel is known generally in the EFI world as Long Term Fuel Trim (LTFT).

When in closed loop the ECM uses the information from the above list to calculate airflow, load, temperatures, throttle position, to adapt and maintain the targeted AFR in the closed loop section of the map.

It then uses the o2 sensors to determine what the AFR actually is. If there is a difference, the ECM makes an adjustment real time to the closed loop map, AND stores the difference in an "Adaptive Fuel Value" cell for future use in Open Loop. (again, reference the HD Brand Tuners to verify that there is an Adaptive Fuel Value" that is stored in the ECM and that is constantly changing)

Over time (30-60 minutes of riding) the Adaptive Fuel Value develops a correction profile that is applied to each cell of the map in open loop.

To put it another way, when the ECM sees the closed loop values constantly being richer than expected (like when using an XiED family product), the Long Term Fuel Trim (Adaptive Fuel Value) is increased, resulting in a richening up of the open loop values.

I hope this helps those looking for a clearer understanding of the HD EFI.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:27 PM
Von_Zipper
Road Warrior

Your posting changes nothing.
People who know how internal combustion engine and fuel injection works still won't buy it.
Folks who have no clue (majority) still will buy XiED hoax.
Just cool down, your business is safe.

Quick Reply: Need help!