Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Someone is trying to scam me on my bikes title!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 10:06 PM
HeatherC
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Someone is trying to scam me on my bikes title!

In Indiana you just sign the title over to the new owner. You put their name an address and the sale price on the title and sign it. Then you are done. They take the title to the BMV and have it transfered. No notary is involved at all. I think this is pretty normal procedure.

Also on the insurance....once you sign the title your insurance is void. He can't collect on it as you no longer hold the title. Insurance must be in the name of the person who hold the title. If you have signed it over to him you are okay.

markdt
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In ontario once you fill in the back of the title and it is signed over it is no longer yours . That is why you fill out the forms AFTER the money is in hand .Mark...

bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: cecil1

The part I don't understand is that I am not signing off on this thing in front of a notary. Even though he gives me cash, and I sign it over, if he leaves andWRECKS the thing before he gets his name on the title, the bike is IN MY NAME. Your telling me I would not be responsible on my end? The other thing is, being Sunday, I can't cancel my insurance. That might be the biggest problem. He is not taking the bike with the insurance in my name.
I don't know what your requirements are there, but here, the registration can be signed without a witnesses signature. No different that selling your boat, or your sofa. There is a place on the back of the registration where you (as the seller) sign it. It's always a good idea to keep a copy of your bill of sale with the purchasers signature on it. Is as good as any signed document.

Your insurance doesn't have anything to do with the sale unless you submit a claim for a loss...which you wouldn't do because you do not own it anymore. The money in your pocket will attest to that.

Old 03-24-2007, 10:08 PM
fatboylust
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[align=left]This is from a PA web site: http://www.dot10.state.pa.us/pdotfor...fs-buysell.pdf[/align][align=left][/align][align=left]TRANSFERRING A PENNSYLVANIA TITLE[/align][align=left]If you are buying or selling a car that is already titled in Pennsylvania, the seller must sign and handprint his/her name in[/align][align=left]Section A on the back of the title. The purchaser’s name and address must be listed in Section A on the back of the title. In[/align][align=left]addition, the purchaser must sign and handprint his/her name in the spaces provided.[/align][align=left]Section D on the front of the title must be completed by the purchaser. If the vehicle is to be financed, the lien information must[/align][align=left]be included in Section D. When Sections A and D are signed and notarized, the title has been “transferred.” If the vehicle is[/align][align=left]being titled in more than one name, all owners must sign the title.[/align][align=left][/align][align=left]And these are a list of Notaries in your area. Odds are one of them is open on Sundays and for a small fee will help you out.[/align][align=left][/align]http://www.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=n...l&ct=title

Good Luck,
FBL

Old 03-24-2007, 10:23 PM
dsuppa
Road Captain

I've sold a few cars here in NJ and we did not need to get anything notarized, just both of you sign the title. As long as its cash I wouldnt worry about it, if its a check I wouldnt take it unless it's a bank certified check.

Old 03-24-2007, 10:35 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

No Notary required here in Florida either. I suggest you also keep a dated copy of the bill of sale that includes his DL # and signature. It will protect you if he crashes the bike or kills someone before he transfers the title into his name.

Old 03-24-2007, 10:49 PM
XL OCD
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No scam. Take the cash and give away the bike and title. Keep your plate. Your insurance company is not going to pay out their money on a loss if you have the slightest proof that the bike was sold... they'll deny the claim even if one was made. Look in your policy, they're not responsible. Congrats on the nightster and getting rid of the honda.

Old 03-24-2007, 11:00 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Sign the title, take the money (cash), get his name and address. Keep the plates, go to/or call/or e-mail,(whatever) your Department of Motor Vehicles and notify them you have no more interest in thebike and who you sold it to. On Monday call and cancel your insurance. If you've sold thebike and are no longer the owner there is no way he could have an accident and claim it on your policy even if you hadn't notified your company. For your company to cover it, it has to be your "owned"vehicle and since you took money and signed off the title you are no longer the owner.

Old 03-24-2007, 11:25 PM
ronn39
Road Master

If he pays you in greenbacks hard currency, sign your title and given him the bike, but you keep the plates. He has absolutely no need for those in MD.

Old 03-24-2007, 11:38 PM
Logan80
Novice

In Washington, all you do is fill out a section of the title (seller's report) and tear it off. They take the (signed) top half to their DMV to transfer into their name, you send in the lower half. You can also report your sale online. You just need thier name, address, and driver's license number. No notary at all.

Quick Reply: Someone is trying to scam me on my bikes title!